View Poll Results: Will you buy the Son of Serpent?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I will

7 24.14%
  • No I won't

22 75.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Son of Serpent

This is a discussion on Son of Serpent within the Site News forums, part of the SSCoasters Site category; What do you think of the new Son of Serpent set announced today by Knex? Will you buy it? What ...

Son of Serpent

Register Now to Remove this Ad!

What do you think of the new Son of Serpent set announced today by Knex? Will you buy it? What do you think of the price?

PRESS RELEASE IN OTHER THREAD
    Last edited by Jogumpie; 02-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    SSCoasters Webmaster
    The SSCoasters Forum Rules
    Follow me on Twitter

Georgia Tech Alumni - BS Mechanical Engineering
    Engineer at Chrysler Group
    BGTGuide|Florida Thrills

Re: Son of Serpent

I like that it's coming back, but I will ONLY buy it if the price drops underneath 150 euro. (and that's still expensive). 999.99 dollars is WAY overpriced.

I'm waiting for more information. A few things I'm looking for are a layout, if the trains are compatible with the current SS trains, and obviously where that price ends up when it comes out.
    SSCoasters Staff
    Voyage|Goliath (SFGAm)|I305|Maverick|Goliath (SFOG)|DBack|TTD|Thunderhead|Banshee|MF|
    Coaster Count: 159

Considering that is has 5000+ parts, whereas the Screamin' Serpent had 1280 parts, I think it will be equivalent to 4 SS's. A decent retail price may then be like €250 / $300. That would still be expensive, but it's a whole lot more reasonable than $1000.

Apart from the price, I am actually very interested in this set. I hope that the first pictures of it will live up to my expectations.
    Last edited by Jogumpie; 02-14-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    The best time of your life is air time!
    SSCoasters Administrator
    http://2014.dutchdetails.net/

im waiting because i only have 1 screamin serpent then a ton of micro sets. im just hoping that the release of these will make ss and rr go down on price too.
    untamed ride count 37
    montu ride count 24
    stormrunner ride count 2
    fahreinheight ride count 3
    yankee cannon ball ride count like 500! lol
    bizarro ride count 6
    batman the ride count 12
    mind eraser count 8
    cyclone sfne ride count 12
    thunderbolt sfne ride count 4

I can't find anything on it except sreamscape, and they aren't always correct.

Screamscape simply took information from the press release, as I did. I'm in contact with K'NEX, so if they have information to share with me, I will post it on the forums.
    SSCoasters Administrator

Blog Entries

I've seen another press release from another website, other than Screamscape that also said that the price was $1,000 if it was 20k parts, that's doable, but it's not even close. From what I've heard and seen, the coaster is supposed to be compatible with SS, so that's always a plus. Hopefully Gump can get us a bit more accurate and factual information that's reliable.

A 2014 Intel Science Talent Search Entrant and a 2014 ISTS Student Initiative Award winner
    Junior member of CERN - ATLAS and CMS Experiments

I want pics of it before I would buy it. A grand is as expensive as hell but if it as awesome as $1000 I'll buy it.

Everything about the set sounds great. I'm very excited to hear about Knex bringing back the SS style coaster, and I'm a VV guy.

But with the proposed price tag, I feel like they're taking a very good marketing opportunity, and putting it way out of reach.
    It would be like if B&M built a 4D coaster on the moon.
    Top 10
    Banshee|Maverick|Diamondback|Millennium Force|Prowler
    Magnum XL200|Gatekeeper|Goliath|Screamin Eagle|The Bat

Finally, ss knex. I think they may have learned that for the past like 20 vv sets they have all been the same EXACT thing, just different colors. If it goes down in price i'd like to buy it, anyone know if it has the same design of the smaller one (Screamin serpent), or if it's a bit different?

Son of Serpent Coaster™
    Fans of the classic K’NEX Screamin’ Serpent Coaster will not be able to contain their excitement when they catch a glimpse of our new Son of Serpent Coaster! In celebration of the K’NEX 20th Anniversary this coaster set includes over 5000 fan-requested, American Made, classic K’NEX pieces, builds over 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide and is modeled after authentic steel coasters! This vintage style coaster includes 53 feet of original K’NEX track, 2 motorized chain lifts, 5 rail-huggin’ cars, 14 K’NEXmen figures, and color-coded building instructions. Also includes speakers for your MP3 player! (MP3 player not included) Ages 16+. Suggested retail price $999.99. Available fall 2012.
    This is all that is known up to now.
    SSCoasters Administrator

Blog Entries

^I saw that too. Wonder if K'Nex attempted tube supports....

A 2014 Intel Science Talent Search Entrant and a 2014 ISTS Student Initiative Award winner

I noticed the recommended age has gone from 10+ to 16+.
    Tubes are a possibility.
    Top 10
    Banshee|Maverick|Diamondback|Millennium Force|Prowler
    Magnum XL200|Gatekeeper|Goliath|Screamin Eagle|The Bat

$500 would be reasonable. That's getting into upper lego prices.

If this is a quality set, where they make it so your paying for quality, then I would consider buying it.
    -Coaster105

Youtube Channel

I would be willing to pay 200$ if it's well built. I mean, 500$ is how much I earn each summer from mowing, and thats 4 lawns, once a week, all summer. It's just not worth it when I can get the same amount of peices from SS's for 120$.
    SSCoasters Moderator
    Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
    Coaster Count: 95

Does this seem to be a good email to knex?

Son of Serpent
    I am a dedicated member of SSCoasters.net. I, and other members are angry at the price tag of the Son of Serpent. If the price tag remains the same ($999.99) then we just simply won't buy it. Most of my friends who have other sets don't use the mp3 speakers (no offense). I think you guys could shave a hundred dollars off of the price if you take those out. You guys don't realize that 5,000 pieces is the equivalent of 4 SS'es (Screaming Serpents). We could easily buy 5 SS's for $200 on eBay. I know by me sending this, sound selfish, but please, as a K'nex costumer, I know you guys would sell much more sets for a $200 price tag. I want you guys to sell more sets, I want you guys to make money. That's why I am sending this email. I am worried that if this set is put on store shelves with the current price tag, you guys would lose a lot of money. These are the threads on SSCoasters forums showing how angry we are. Son of Serpent, http://www.sscoasters.net/forum/f135...43/#post333785
    Last edited by Maxwell58; 02-15-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    ​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

Probably not, I would love to have one of those sets and the pieces that come with it but it just seems outrageously high going. They have high expectations maybe this will go well, but I don't see it. I see where everyone is going with the 'I rather buy 5 SS sets for $200 each than 1 SOS set for $1000', because I would too. Their are better things to use the money on in my opinion.

Under construction:
    Non in Progress

Blog Entries

^^ Not trying to get your hopes down, but they're really not going to do it just for a select few builders (all of SSC). Not even a petition would be a good idea, because they don't have to listen. Now if they sell it and can't get anyone to purchase it, maybe they'll drop the price, but K'Nex is probably re-releasing these coasters knowing how much demand is out there for them and how much they'll be able to make a hefty profit from it.

Maxwell, I strongly suggest you don't send that e-mail at all.
    SSCoasters Administrator

Definitely need some more information before making irrational decisions. Something with the set is costing a hefty price to manufacture I imagine.
    SSCoasters Webmaster
    Follow me on Twitter

Georgia Tech Alumni - BS Mechanical Engineering
    Engineer at Chrysler Group
    BGTGuide|Florida Thrills

I know we all feel like we had our hopes raised just to get them crushed. But lets see how things pan out. Hopefully this just merely phase one.

Remember this is merely a press release, there are many things that are left unknown in this, we have no pictures and no follow up at this point. The shear fact that they are molding the Cross-ties again should be a huge positive sign for those of use who build using the SS style. Why is this good? Because we know once this is released, if nothing else, we can call K'nex® and get tubing and cross ties (may not be the best, but it is at least supporting K'nex® directly rather then going thru e-bay.) A second item is that hopefully smaller sets will follow in the footsteps of this set.

One of things I realized long ago when we keep asking for a new SS style set was that the price would be at least double of the old SS (so around $200). When you consider inflation and etc etc from the neighborhood of about 10 years ago when the SS sets where on the market.

As for buying. My interest is in whether or not it has a new colour scheme. No point in me dropping cash for something I already have.

No matter what the price is, I'm sure this will be awesome and I'm very excited about it. I can't wait to see the first pictures of the set. I hope the set has a reasonable price in the Netherlands.

Knex has to realise that if even their biggest fans doubt about buying the set because of the price, there is a small chance 'normal' people are willing to pay this price.

I hope this will be the start of succesful business in Europe again. I can barely remember that I bought big sets of Classic Knex in a shop.

^ The fact that we are knexfans doesn't mean we want to pay much for coasters. If these sets would go for 300, I would still just buy used Screaming Serpents.

I don't know whether this will be good for us. But I totally think that we should atleast just wait untill more info comes out, before we completely start hating on this.
    You're a freak, join the circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
    I hope the set has a reasonable price in the Netherlands.
    Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jogumpie View Post
    The new K’NEX Thrill Ride building sets will be available on knex.com and at toy retailers nationwide.
    Don't get your hopes up. From this quote I suspect that the sets won't get to Europe for a while.
    SSCoasters Administrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast