How many knex pieces are needed to make a good custom coaster

This is a discussion on How many knex pieces are needed to make a good custom coaster within the K'NEX General Discussion forums, part of the K'NEX Discussion and Help category; Hi all, I am new here and have 1 Storm Mountain and a few smaller thill ride kits. I was ...

Smile How many knex pieces are needed to make a good custom coaster

Register Now to Remove this Ad!

Hi all, I am new here and have 1 Storm Mountain and a few smaller thill ride kits. I was wondering how many and what kind of pieces i should buy to build a good custom coaster. Any help will be appeciated.

P.S. This is my first post

Re: How many knex pieces are needed to make a good custom coaster

By "smaller thrill ride kits", exactly what sets do you have? Are they regular Knex or micro Knex?

But to answer your question, buying a few Screamin Serpents will get you started. The basic minimum is about 2 Screamin Serpent's worth of parts. And smaller than that will basically get you started and then you'll run out. Also, aim for the SS and not the Rippin Rocket to start because the SS has the 3 car train.
    SSCoasters Staff
    The SSCoasters Forum Rules
    Voyage|Goliath (SFGAm)|I305|Maverick|Goliath (SFOG)|TTD|Thunderhead|Banshee|DBack|MF|
    Coaster Count: 161

Thanks for the fast reply.
    The standard size sets I have:

1 Storm Mountain
    1 Starburt Spinner
    1 10 model kit
    100 random pieces

The micro sets I have:

Lave Lanch
    Serpents Spiral

when you say "aim for the SS and not the Rippin Rocket to start because the SS has the 3 car train" do you mean the more cars are better
    Last edited by Snake; 11-28-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot somthing

The SS has a 3 car train that can hook together and combine for longer trains. Say you have two sets with 2 front cars, 2 middle cars, and 2 back cars. You can combine the 2 middle cars with a front and back car to expand to a 4 car train (you can even permanently alter your extra front and back cars to create another middle car if you so wish). The more SS, the more cars you have (your Storm Mountain car is the same as the front SS car, just blue not orange). And the number of cars that work best usually varies with each coaster. Generally, the bigger the coaster (your size limit grows as you get more sets and build more), more cars work better. But it's good to have a decent amount of cars in case.

The Rippin Rocket (RR) only comes with one car, but it also cannot be combined with other cars. One advantage to the RR though is you get slightly more track out of it.
    SSCoasters Staff
    The SSCoasters Forum Rules
    Voyage|Goliath (SFGAm)|I305|Maverick|Goliath (SFOG)|TTD|Thunderhead|Banshee|DBack|MF|
    Coaster Count: 161

Pki's right, you'll need a few screamin serpents. I can have like an 8 car train worth of cars if I connect all of my middle cars together, but with two sets you'll be able to have a four car train which is still great. I don't use my RR cars at all, they seem to run very slow even with silicone spray. But yea, aim for SS, you'll probably get the best deals on ebay, although it may take awhile and it depends how much you want to pay.

-AsM

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Current Project(s):
    Requiem

It depends on what kind of coasters you want to build. If you don't have many space to build coasters in, you should definitely go for micro knex. Like the lava launch coaster and the serpent spiral.

When you want to build bigger coasters, or when you have more space, you can try the bigger coaster sets too. The storm mountain set is a really nice set to start with, but you're limited because you don't have a lot of tubing.
    So it would be good if you would buy 1 or 2 screamin serpents, and when you've done that you could also buy a Rippin Rocket because it is a nice set for more pieces.

So it depends on you what kind of sets you're going to buy, but if you're going for the big sets, start with buying some Screamin Serpents first!

-=Tk=-
    http://www.sscoasters.net/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1585_5.gif

Blog Entries

Again, I agree with buying SS first, and I wish I did that first instead of buying 3 RR, I could have gotten 2 or 3 SS with that. The good thing is that you have the extra wheel housings to make custom cars if you buy an RR set / car, instead of having to take apart your SS cars you just use that wheel housing. However, if you do buy an RR, you can always purchase a SS car or two off ebay like I did.

I still would suggest getting at least 2 Screamin Serpents before you'll be able to build decently sized coasters.

A 2014 Intel Science Talent Search Entrant and a 2014 ISTS Student Initiative Award winner
    Junior member of CERN - ATLAS and CMS Experiments

Blog Entries

A Lava Launch and a Serpent's Spiral is enough for a decent Micro coaster, for a standard coaster I'd go with what the others have said. Just start basic and work your way up from there.