• -
  • -

Stats Model Statistics
Completed 2012
Height 1' 0"

Photos Photos
Calypso
Video

Description Calypso was a model I made after I wanted to try out a concept I had in my head about having rotating crosses at the end of a rotating arm. The Calypso (predecessor of the famous Huss Break Dance rides) was perfect to try this out on. The individual (3) crosses with 4 coaches do not have motors in them, they are driven by the wheels that supports the arms when they ride along a polystyrene track.The system worked much better than expected overall turned out to be a quick little ride that is incredible fun to watch.

The ride is powered by 2 motors that drive 2 little gears on either side of a large yellow gear. This way I ensured there was plenty of torque to power this ride as the arms had quite a bit of weight on them. The crosses turn slightly faster than wanted, but is acceptable as it used to be a thrill ride (now generally seen as a family or kids ride, yet they can pack a punch!)

I decided to go with a design that allows rides to enter from all sides, much like seen on funfairs, yet rearranging the fences and the steps can turn it into a more park-suitable model. The center piece of the ride was inspired by flags generally seen on the real ride, or a big mirror sculpture, like a diamond. I decided to focus more on colours that looks with this to make it pop a tiny bit more. It was built over a few months, mainly during the weekends when I was home.

Trivia:
*Unlike most models I built, this wasn't built on the floor, but all parts were fabricated on my desk. The pictures show the ride on the floor so viewers are not drawn to the big mess I made on my desk after trying various designs.
*The arms and hub are not actually connected to the main gear. They rotate with the gear purely on friction.
*The center hub (triangular structure) was the first part to be built, the center piece was the last part to be added to the ride.

Comments 0 Comments

Builder Built by Maxlaam

More ModelsSimilar Models