Awards Contests Won
Alternative Top Model #1 2013

Stats Model Statistics
Completed 2013
Height 6' 6"

Photos Photos
R80XL
Video

Description This Ferris Wheel was built because I got inspired of the R80XL, world's largest transportable Ferris Wheel. A masterpiece of German engineering.

Going for a full replica would have taken too many pieces and time, and it would result in a structure which would most likely not be able to be supported by the tube supports.

The iconical trapezium spokes were built first. Afterwards the hub was built and soon after the rim followed. When the rim was done I started working on the base and the main supports. When I was confident the structure would hold, I started to make all 24 gondolas based on how they are suspended on the real R80XL. The drive mechanism was a real headache and resulted into something I would only do as a last resort, looking back at this, it's not that bad at all.

When the wheel made its first couple of revolutions I worked on the flooring and the operator booth, both modelled after the real ride. The entire ride was built with constructing/deconstructing in mind. Most parts are very secure but can be taken apart easily. A great example are the spokes, which can easily be removed from the hub when you use a rod to put some pressure on the mount, one side quickly comes loose and the other side can easily be pulled out by gently twisting it away from the hub.

The ride is approximately 2.00 m or 6' 7" high, consists of 12 spokes, has 24 gondolas and is supported by 4 main tube supports and 2 additional diagonal supports to limit movement. There are 2 (ungeared) motors which power the wheels that rotate the wheel. The model was built in roughly 3 weeks (albeit two of those weeks being weekends only).

Trivia:
*This model is the fastest model I constructed after Swingy, my one day coaster.
*I ran out of various pieces 3 times, which I then restocked at a fee from Jogumpie.
*This is my most piece intensive build to date.

Comments 1 Comments
Photo
urikhai

Can you make a tutorial?

• Oct 09 2015 01:10 PM

Builder Built by Maxlaam

More ModelsSimilar Models
  •  Jesper's Laun...
    Comments 0
    • -
    • -
    • -