User Pic by LaMbChOpZ
Clock Apr 18 2016 12:28 AM
Views 867
Comments 0

Tags
ssdm ftk dance marathon 2016
Steve Stefani Dance Marathon 2016 Total! $237,649.57 FTK!
Photo
Description My high school raises money for the Four Diamonds Fund to support pediatric cancer patients at the Hershey Medical Center in Pennsylvania in memory of a former teacher - Mr. Steven Stefani - who passed away from cancer in 2002. Our Steve Stefani Dance Marathon (SSDM) started the following year and is modeled after THON at Penn State University. Our dance marathon has seen gigantic growth in participation and amount raised each year since starting. The fourteenth Dance Marathon was this past April 15/16. I participated in SSDM from 2011 to 2014 when I was in high school; I started as a dancer my freshman year,then joined the Fundraising Committee in my sophomore year, and finally moved up to being a captain of my committee in both my junior and senior years.

Students dance from 6PM Friday night until 9AM Saturday morning (15 hours!) with no sitting or sleeping allowed, hours after completing a full day of school. When I was a captain, I helped set up the event from 7AM until the event started at 6PM, and I clean up for a few hours after, so my final two dance marathons were closer to 35 hours long each!

We raise money throughout the year with various events combined with each participant required to raise a specific amount to participate (the amount varies depending on role in SSDM, but students are encouraged and often do go well above and beyond their required amount). We have Pancake Breakfasts, car washes, raffle baskets(my 2012-2014 committee's responsibility), and various dinners and events with Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, Cold Stone Creamery, and Chick-Fil-A (to name a few).

The total from this year pushed SSDM's overall total amount raised to just over $1.5 million raised across all 14 years.

If you're interested in learning more about our dance marathon, you can message me and/or visit the website: http://ssdmftk.org/ .

Comments 0 Comments

More PicsSimilar Pics
  •  Classic Brakes
    Throwback Thursday
  •  Shining hArmor
    HOT
  •  B&M Micro Invert
    New Construction
  •  New coaster teaser
    New Construction
  •  Enjoying BC
    HOT