Suicide

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to address everyone on an extremely sensitive topic that's been getting a lot of attention recently, having to do with self harm, which is depressing numerous people. As many of you know, Spirit Day recently passed to honor the teens who committed suicide due to abuse and bullying because of sexual preference, and on a more personal note, a good friend of many members here, Will Trautwein took his life. I want to discuss my personal experience with the matter, and tell you ways how you can cope with it. Just be aware, I am, in no way, putting myself "superior" to any of you, if that's how you're going to take this, but letting you be aware, there ARE people going through this same situation, and there ARE things you can do to help it.

I've personally been dealing with anxiety, depression and self esteem issues ever since I went into Jr. High. I was never bullied, however, I did have self esteem issues, and I was VERY mature for my age, so I didn't belong anywhere, though I did have some very close friends. The maturity had to deal with my stressful household. As a child, I was physically abused by my father, and my mom has severe Bipolar disorder. All three of my brothers are mentally disabled. My oldest brother, he's 20, has Aspergers Syndrome. My second oldest brother, he's 18, has severe autism. My youngest brother, he's 13, has a lesser case of autism. All of this is a contribution to what I've had to deal with over the years, and it has really built up on all of us.

I told you, I became close friends with a lot of people. There was a particularly nice girl I became friends with, Jen. She was punkish, obsessed with Kurt Cobain. :P She was awesome, really. Had the coolest personally. We'd sluff our least favorite classes, sitting next to eachother, listening to Slipknot (don't hate! It was one of her favorite bands. I remember her favorite song, "Wait and Bleed") We'd spend countless hours in the summer on MSN, chatting away, talking about random things, and we quoted Quagmire ALL the time, we were in love with Family Guy. We both loved eachother, I could tell, but it wasn't in a relationship type of way. It was in the way you would like a brother and sister, that you would always care for her, and you'd want the best in life.

As school went on, we became a bit more apart, and though we'd keep in touch, we weren't as close as we used to be. She was still eager to talked to me when she could. As she grew older, however, she seemed less outgoing, less happy. I could tell there was something wrong.

One day, she didn't show up for school. Pretty typical, I know. But it was a particular day I'll never forget. Because later, I got an email;

"Kyle, I don't know how to explain this, but, I love you. All of the nights we spent talking together were amazing, it was the best time of my life. I'll miss you."

I frantically replied what the hell she meant by "she'd miss me", even though I was glad to hear she loved me (I was such a loser back then :P) And patiently waited.

Two days, no response.

I walked over to her house on a Thursday afternoon, and knocked on her door. Her parents answered, the most miserable human beings I have ever seen in my entire life.

"Hey there," I said, pretty casually. "Where's Jen?"

Her mom started tearing, and her dad said softly, "Jen overdosed two days ago, and passed away while they were trying to pump charcoal", or something along those lines. I honestly don't remember, because when her mom started crying, I knew.

I should say, I don't know what it feels like to get hit by a freight train. But that's probably the closest simulator you can get. It hit me hard. I didn't cry, I didn't say anything, my facial expression didn't change. I walked home blankly, went straight into my room, shut my door, and laid there, doing nothing. It was like someone had flipped a switch to "off", and the world was moving around me. I was like this for two days, I didn't talk, I didn't eat, I just laid there.

And then, the reality hit me.

I would never see her face again, never get to talk to her again, listen to Slipknot and skip those horrible monotone lectures, spend countless hours, cracking jokes, listening to her fantasize about Kurt Cobain, quoting our favorite Family Guy episodes. It was all gone, it was in the past, she was non-existent.

I cried the hardest I ever did that night. It must have been hours. I can't remember. Just thinking back to that moment, my eyes swell, I can't hold back a tear or two from those sickening memories of what I had to put up with. To lose a close friend, all those memories crushed, all the people she damaged permanently.

The following months were gruesome, to say the least. School was a lost cause, my home life fell apart in a clusterfuck (I love that word, haha) of anger and sadness, nothing was in control, my life was a wreck.

Two months later, I pulled a knife on myself.

It started with a simple family argument. It can be the smallest things, the smallest triggers, that can escalate into something blown out of perspective so much, that it has unnecessary consequences. I was already emotionally unsteady for the last few months, but by the time that dispute came up, I just gave in to the emotion. I was shaking with rage and sorrow and depression and every other emotion and side effect I can think of relating to everything I was having to deal with, and that knife was hovering right over my chest. It happened very quick. My dad sacrificed his home life for me. I went in for the lunge, to finally end it, and he simultaneously ran up, tackled me, and punched me (probably out of rage). Needless to say, I'm still alive, but that was life-changing. following that, I was away from home for 4 months. You see, I was emotionally unstable, and I couldn't be trusted. All of this really fucked me up. So they sent me to a residential facility.

I thought I was done, finished with all of this. But truthfully, you never recover from these experiences. It lies in your subconscious, you need to realize YOU'RE the one who needs to change, and be able to cope with it. And I made that mistake two months ago.

Another family dispute. Another very small family argument, that escalated into something it didn't need to be. I had been having suicidal thoughts for the past few weeks, because I had been feeling helpless, and didn't have any other solution, so I figured the only way out, to relieve my stress, was to end my life. I took 70 pills, a variety of sleeping and anxiety medication. And, of course, I immediately regretted it.

I'll tell you what's it like. First off, plain and simple;

DO NOT ATTEMPT SUICIDE.

It's a selfish, idiotic, tasteless permanent solution to a temporary problem. Just don't, do everyone a favor. Play your role in this world. You're meant to be here, even if you don't realize it yet.

Anyways, the very first thought that came to mind was my beautiful girlfriend, what I would do to her if I would leave this Earth, if I was going to die from this. What would happen to her, what she would do. I couldn't stand that thought. I started hyperventilating, and eventually collapsed onto the counter, where I attempted to hold myself upright. Both of my parents rushed over to me, tried to calm me down, and one went over to the home phone, the other on cell, and called 911. I started to get weak, and couldn't hold myself up anymore, and collapsed onto the floor. I lay there, I could see myself, I was a pale-blue color, and I could feel my heart in my throat. My mom said it was the fastest pulse she has ever heard, and she's a nurse. I started losing consciousness, before I saw the door open, and the medics come rushing in. They brought me out to the ambulance (I remember seeing multiple police cars, a firetruck, and of course, the ambulance I was being put in) and they rushed me to the hospital. There, they made me drink charcoal to clear my system, to make me throw up. It sucked, terribly. I hope none of you ever have to go through that. It's terrible.

They eventually brought me to a lock down facility, where I was forced to stay for about a week. The worst part was not being able to talk to my girlfriend, and not even being able to tell her what happened, or how I was doing. I had to use sort of decoys. :P It was terrible, and really painful, but I got through it.

Anyways, I hope what you guys are getting out of this is, no matter how you feel, no matter what you're going through, there's always a better solution than taking your life. If anything, it'll only cause you more problems if you fail, or you'll be hurting everyone around you, permanently. It truly is a terrible thing. We're all meant for something, even if you don't feel that way, you just haven't discovered it yet, but you will. You fit in somewhere. You all belong here. Follow where YOU want to go, because that's what really matters.

If anyone has any questions, I'm here to answer them. If you need to learn how to cope with a recent situation or suicide, I can help, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading my obscurely long thread, I hope it benefited you in some way.

In Memory of

Will Trautwein
Tyler Clementi
Seth Walsh
Justin Aaberg
Raymond Chase
Billy Lucas
And the many other victims of themselves

Rest in the greatest of peace, Jennifer. I'll always cherish our time we spent together while you were on this earth.

I love you too.

(cop) SSCoasters Staff (cop)
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Posted Image
Maverick | Millennium Force | Ravine Flyer II | Top Thrill Dragster | Kumba

#2 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

iloveyoukyle<3

#3 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

the two highschools in my town have a program to reach out to depressed kids. about a year ago a kid in the town/city next to mine hung himself and sent schockwaves throught the whole school and even mine. thats my only expirence with it at all. A lot of bulling at my school because its all a bunch of snotty rich kids who can be pretty mean. Hasnt happen yet to any one at my school. but it wouldnt suprise me if it did. we also have the suicide prevention hotline and a few other phone numbers on the back of our I.D. card. good article by the way. you sould get it into the paper

Pearl Jam did a song called jeremy way back in 1992 about a Jeremy Wade Delle who was a real kid who commited suicide in front of his english class. As their lead singer Eddie Vedder said that he felt "the need to take that small article and make something of it—to give that action, to give it reaction, to give it more importance".

#4 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, 'Jeremy' remains my favorite Pearl Jam song of all time, simply because of the emotion and meaning behind it. I did a lot of research on the song and case it was based off of.

Posted Image

#5 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

This is a big topic. Suicide is never good. And people usualy dont stop joking around about until it effects them in some way. Pyro and Spitfire are two examples.

Posted Image

#6 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

Kyle your right man, I never knew you went through all of this.

#7 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

This is a big topic. Suicide is never good. And people usualy dont stop joking around about until it effects them in some way. Pyro and KnexRule are two examples.

I'm not trying to mean mean. But why is my name on that list?! I have never joked around about suicide! And suicide has never happend to anyone I know. I don't know were you heard that from.

--------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree. Suicide is not a laughing matter, its a big deal. I really feel bad for people who have to deal with this. I also feel bad for the people who do it, it's really sad to be feeling so bad to do that to your self. Kyle, Reid, and who ever has lost someone to suicide, I'm very sorry.

KR11

v Its fine. Everyone makes mistakes

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#8 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

My bad, i meant to put spitfire on it, i was thinking your name at the time though.

Posted Image

#9 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

I believe you're thinking of Rollerboaster. I've in no way, ever made fun of suicide. Especially with my personal experiences, I'd never be that insensitive to do that.

Posted Image

#10 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, when did I ever make fun of suicide?

EDIT: and its been affecting kyle since before he joined, so what are you talking about?

#11 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

I couldn't stop my eyes from tearing.
Such a sad story.

You see, this subject is actually very close to me.
My mum has been a little depressive the last few years.
In February it got worse, untill she tried it too.
I remember the day as yesterday, it was the same day as when I asked my ex-girlfriend.
When I came back from her home, I was in a really good mood, since I finally found a girl who I loved, and who loved me too.
But my father was standing there in the middle of the room, and he told me what happend.
My mother went on the ship to Texel, a little island close to where I live, with the intention to jump off board.
Right before she wanted to jump, she passed out, because of panic or something.
After my father told me all this, I didn't want to believe it.
Though she was alright, it still was a big shock for me.
That evening me and my father brought her to a hospital with a special closed ward for this kind of patients.
Leaving her there was really painfull, and on the way back I cried for about an hour.
The hospital took good care of her, and she got anti-depressiva medicines.
They seemed to work great, and a month later she got back home.
She was doing fine for a long time, untill somewhere like a month ago.
I got home from school, and I saw my father standing there, and I knew directly what happened.
Again my mother tried it.
She took a overdosis medicines, and went into some sort of coma.
She was taken to the hospital, and she was inconsious for 1 day.
My feelings were exactly the same: I just couldn't believe it.
My brain was going from "being so happy that the new medicines worked so well" to "being really sad that she tried to kill herself with the same medicines".
Last week she got back from hospitals closed ward (Sometimes she still sleeps there, just to calm down a little).
Now she's going to a hospital to check what the problem exactly is.
She doesn't really have reasons to be depressive, but she just has some sort of brain-sickness which is telling her that she is a bad person.
I hope that she will be allright, and that something like this will never happen again.
The human brain is almost impossible to understand, and also almost impossible to threat, but she is going to the hospital from Amsterdam to find out where the problem is.
Untill then I can't tell how she's doing.

It feels really good to finally get this off my chest.
I've struggled with this story for a long time.
Thanks Kyle for the inspiring words, I will qoute some of them to my mother.

-Bart.

#12 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

Thats tough man.. im sorry. If you never need to talk to anyone who understand, just gimme a pm.

Everyone has things that have happened to them that was tough, Youre talking to random people on the internet, you can always share.

#13 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Everyone has things that have happened to them that was tough, Youre talking to random people on the internet, you can always share.

We may be "random people on the internet", but we are people, and we do have hearts. I wouldn't have posted this thread if I didn't want to do everything in my ability to prevent anything like this happening to you guys.

I don't have time to respond, so I'll get to it when I get home tonight, but I'm glad you got that off your chest, Bart. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Remember, though, it's always good to talk about your problems than holding it inside (Just trust me, I'm not trying to council you, I know this from experience). it'll help you greatly. And it means a lot to know I can inspire you, give you hope.

Posted Image

#14 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

Maybe anonymous would be a better word.

#15 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Strangely enough it's better to talk to you guys about this as to my friends.
They don't know about the whole situation, simply because they would look at my mother on a whole different way.
Ofcourse my really close friends know it, but I never talk to them about it
They simply don't understand.
I never said a word about this on the forum till I saw this thread.
Knowing that there are more people with this kind of problems makes me feel less lonely on this cruel planet.

-Bart.

#16 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, 'Jeremy' remains my favorite Pearl Jam song of all time, simply because of the emotion and meaning behind it. I did a lot of research on the song and case it was based off of.

musicly its a fast song and sounds happy. but its really about a very sad topic. thats the best thing about pearl jam. happy sounding songs about the worst things in life. knew it was about a depressed kid vut never new the ture meaning til i watched the music video.

#17 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Kyle, the more I think about this... Just.. I don't know. I showed this to my dad and he started crying..

#18 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

My freshmen year my principal hanged himself. Three days before he walked into concert band and while we were playing. He didn't want to interupt the band so he walked back to the percussion section and told me: " I always loved listening to the music this band makes...." and he left. I didn't know what to think of it and just sort of put it in the back of my mind. His death hit the whole school pretty hard because every student that i talked to said they thought he was great. His suicide letter said that he thought all the students hated him. I just want to say, if there is any sign...... any at all that someone is thinking of suicide, talk to them. Let them know that there are always people that care about you.

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#19 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

I just want to say, if there is any sign...... any at all that someone is thinking of suicide, talk to them. Let them know that there are always people that care about you.

This is by far the best thing you could ever do to help someone out. It may not seem like much but it makes a huge difference, trust me, I know, because I've been through it.

I'm going to say this just to show everybody how much of a difference just talking can make, not to get sympathy.

About a year or so ago my dad had some form of affair or something with another women and my mom obviously found out. Needless to say she was very upset with him and they got into a huge fight and my dad ended up moving to our lake house for a while while they tried to work out the issue with marriage counselors. This whole ordeal lasted up until around April or May of this year, almost, but thankfully not, ending in a divorce.

Meanwhile, I was a total emotional wreck. For several months I had to, unwillingly, listen to them fight either over the phone or face to face. Every time they would fight I'd most likely end up having an emotional breakdown of my own while they had theirs. That, and adding on to the fact that I would still get picked on at school and by some kids on my swim team didn't help. I ended up spiraling into depression and would cry myself to sleep on average 2-3 times a week. Eventually this led to my first thoughts of suicide. At the time I thought that it seemed like the only way that I could end the pain that I was going through. I knew that it was the absolute worst thing I could do to myself but I just wanted to find a way to end the pain. Luckily before I ever got a chance to even attempt it, I had several talks and had been given advice by several of my closest friends and my parents and they had put me at enough ease that I could get rid of some of the pain that I was feeling at the time. Eventually everything with my parents was patched up for the most part and I was left alone by the other kids that were picking on me, for what reason I don't know but they did.

You're probably wondering "ok so?" Well ever sense all this happened, I've gotten to go to the Jr. National Championships for swimming, gotten even closer to my friends, I've been happier, and most of all, I met the girl of my dreams and we've been going out for over a month now. The bottom line, it may seem like the only way out at the time, but it also ends every chance you have of having a great life in the future. If there's one thing to take away from this, it's that the smallest things can make the biggest difference and help change someones life forever. Just letting someone know that you care can make the difference between them taking their own life or not. If you think something is wrong, talk to whomever it is and find out if there is before it's to late.

This whole mess has ever sense given me a new saying that I live by that I encourage everyone to live by because it can make you a lot happier.

"In life, every down is followed by an ever bigger up"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#20 love4kanex

love4kanex

Architect

• 334 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Wow, i am so sorry you guys had to go through this. I have honestly never gone through anything like this, or had friends going these problems. This really changes my perspective, i have never joked about suicide i've always known it's a serious and touchy subject.

I will pray for you guys. Also, i don't care if you call me something like a "Jesus freak" well i am, so get over it. I'm just doing what i think is right, and what can praying hurt?

Just a thing that ticks me off is when people make fun of me and my friends some times because we pray for people and such. It's nothing serious, it's just annoying.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coaster Count: 36

Knex Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/love4knex

New channel with funny videos:
http://www.youtube.c...ideosandstuff11