Lubricating your Trains

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

In the past there has been some misguided information about how to properly maintainence and lubricate your K'nex® Trains for optimal performance. With this tutortial I hope to clear up the muddy water and show the best LONG TERM method to care for your coasters.

**video at the bottom of the post**

How to Lubricate a K'nex® Roller Coaster Car/Train
Posted Image

These are the tools that I use for cleaning and lubrication.
*Brush -to clean out dust and etc
*tweezers - to remove hair etc
*Pen Oiler OR Tooth Picks -these are used to precisely apply the oil
*paper towels - to clean up any messes
Posted Image

When lubricating your train car use a lubricant
OIL is a great Lubricant
I use synthetic motor oil (1 quart cost about $5 USD [this will last you a lifetime]) Try use the lowest weight possible.
other acceptable oils include silicone spray, bike chain oil, and also sewing machine oil
Posted Image

THESE ARE NOT LUBRICANTS (DO NOT USE THESE)
Posted Image

When applying oil to the train cars Make sure to only place oil on the metal axle. (a little oil will go a long long way.)
Posted Image

When you place the train back on the tracks, it will appear to have lost speed when you first test it. It will take a little bit to get things "to break in," Simply Keep running the wheels and you will soon see a change in the speed.

Remember be patient, and a little goes a long way. It is better to need to oil often then have too much oil.
Posted Image

Now for those who prefer a video here you go

• ThomasFerguson likes this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thats an great tutorial! I like the video.

#3 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I definitely recommend taking the axels appart. I took mine appart and cleaned them off on The Jester. I never even put oil on the axels after I put them back together and it easily made it through the layout where before it went really slowly. Great tutorial ickus!!

#4 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

Beautifully done sir!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Snake

Snake

Construction Worker

• 444 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

This is by far the best tutorial for lubing trains.

#6 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Awesome tutorial, James! Now people that doesn't know how to lubricate their cars can do it now!

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#7 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Damn improving on the age old Coaster55 tut. Nice. I will have to go out and by some of the lubricants you recommended.

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on one of those pen oilers :)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

This would help lubing my vv cars a lot. Thanks ickus! :)

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#10 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Can this work for VV cars?

#11 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Yep, I have done it with VV cars. Make sure to only oil the metal axle (much harder on the VV cars), and of course make sure to break it in nicely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

I observed that when lubricating VV cars, if you have silicone spray you can rest the car upside down, then spray the silicone in the little gap (where the axle is) from above, and if you get it just right half the silicone goes to the axle of the other wheels. My cars then slowed down a fair bit (only making 90* on Meitnerium's immelmann) then gradually improved and now fly through the Immelmann.

#13 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Can Garage Door Lube or Engine Oil work?

#14 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Engine oil is what I have in the pictures. Use the lightest weight possible.

Garage door oil is probably too heavy (sounds more like a grease then oil, but I have no idea.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

I might just go this weekend to get a pen oiler myself. The tut was great Ickus. And the key words are be paitiant.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Ickus for this tutorial, I bought the yellow motor oil you were talking about, followed the steps and Renegade is a good as new as completes the circuit now! It wasn't making the element after the first hill a week after the final video was made.

#17 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Well, I have a little question, I finally got my hands on a pen-oiler. Or Precise Lubricator as the packaging says.

It came with oil in it and the packaging says POL1000. I couldn't trace this to an oil type, but I could trace the pen on the website it said on the packaging.

It's supposed to be this one:
Precision Lubricator - General Purpose

But the colour of the oil inside is more of an orange/brownish taint, much like a dark scotch whisky.

The colour isn't as red-ish like this one:
Precision Lubricator - Red, Transmission Oil

The packaging was a bit yellow-ish and the store clerk asked me where I found that item as he had no idea that they even had them. He said it must've been pretty old.

So if anyone (Ickus? wink wink) knows if it is any decent?? It's quite slippery to the touch and it's consistency is less than syrup but more than water.

I'm hesitant to test it out but if no-one knows I'll see what it does...

Edit: I just used it to oil my tools (clippers, wirestripper etc.) it sure helps the tools and it seems to force the old oil out, dirty stuff, like a black goo.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

I cannot say whether that is the right stuff, Maxlaam. I would just like to add that although I have not been building coasters using. Knex for very long, I experimented with many different types of lube on the few coasters I did build. I am not trying to discredit anything that ickus said, but in my experience Pure Silicone Lube has worked the best.

I tried wd40, engine oil, liquid wrench, graphite lube, crc all purpose lube, and then crc pure silicone spray. wd40 is not a lubricAnt like ickus said, it only displaces and keeps water out. Engine oil can sometimes be too thick, or viscous. Graphite powder works well but it makes a mess and is a pain to apply. It is often used on pine derby cars. Liquid wrench is really best used to free up seized hardware and is not best suited as a lube. All purpose lube may or may not contain silicone, but the problem with this as well as some other pure silicone sprays is that the propellant may contain ethers or butanes which can be damaging to plastics.

We all do not want to wreck the wheel carriage or coach car body by "fogging" it while trying to lube the metal axles. That can happen with some silicone sprays so be very careful when choosing one. Try finding a brand that says it is safe for most plastics, and try looking on the labeling for whether it uses ether or hexane or butane for propellant. When I used that crc stuff I had two diff kinds. A blue can of pure silicon spray and a red can that was crc heavy duty silicone multi use lube. If I remember correctly the stuff in the blue can fogged my plastic but the red can one did not.
Both of them worked awesome for lube. The best practice is to simply apply a tiny bit to a small area first to see if any plastic damage occurs and if so, stop using it.

If you are really worried about damaging plastic, then perhaps this is not for you and you may want to simply use the oil that ickus recommended. Also, if you could put some of this silicon spray into that precision lube pen, it would get everywhere it shouldn't. Hope this helps.

-CD33

Posted Image

#19 KahluaCoasters

KahluaCoasters

Rut Row!

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

I have a dog and we love her dearly so I don't want to poison her. What could I use that's animal safe? Also my dad said to use vegetable oil and that was a BIG FAT EPIC FAIL! but I cleaned it up and it was fine...

#20 iCoaster44

iCoaster44

French K'nexpert

• 383 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Good tutorial ! :)