Cable Flywheel Launch: Has anyone tried it?

launch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Marvin42

Marvin42

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

I've always wanted to try this, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I'm going for something similar to one of the Zamperla MotoCoasters

Also worth noting, this has to run automatically for 8+ hours with little or no human interaction. I'll be automating most of it, including the flywheel speed monitoring, launch carriage movement, and train tracking, using a TI MSP430 microcontroller.

Here's what I'm planning: 

There'll be a flywheel weighing about 10-20 pounds, being run by a DC motor I have lying around. It might be heavier, I have to see how much KE the car needs to get over the hill.

Hopefully I can make the track efficient enough that I don't lose speed too drastically, but I'm still going to make rather high friction loss assumptions. Is it worth saying that about half of the KE is lost to friction? (I've done tests like this before, and that's pretty much what I found)

For the launch track, I'm planning on 3D printing some custom track splines with most of the interior bracing taken out and replaced by some structural piece, probably aluminum C-channel. 

The launch carriage will be pretty heavily reinforced and tied to a cable loop extending the length of the track. This might also be mounted on springs, just to keep stress lowered.

When the launch takes place, there'll be some link that ties the launch cable to the flywheel. The energy in the flywheel will get the car moving at speed faster than starting the motor cold. At the end of the launch, the track heads up the hill, while the catch car keeps going. A lever then disconnects the catch car and starts braking it. Then, a slower, more precise motor will send the car backwards down the track to reset.

I don't quite know what I'm using as the critical link between the flywheel and the launch cable yet. Chain isn't strong enough, gears will probably break or slip, so I'm thinking either very strong cable with a tensioner or a friction clutch using tires

I know it sounds like a lot of moving parts, and it also sounds like a LOT of stress on the knex, but I think it will work. Any thoughts?

#2 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

I know the member just for this. Contact Thisisgabe, and he can talk to you about it. I'm sorry, but I know nothing on this.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: launch