Scarab - a B&M inverted returns (5/5/17)

custom cars egypt pyramid b&m bolliger and mabillard inverted invert

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

I think I prefer the first. It feels more intense and involved with the track. I think just for appearances, you could straighten that catwalk a bit but looking good overall so far.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#42 GravitySnake

GravitySnake

Construction Worker

• 124 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:55 AM

To my surprise the inverted trains began to look good earlier than the flourless did:D

flourless

Gluten-free roller coasters? Genius! I'll take two!

Comedy aside, this seems to be coming along smoothly. You should keep an eye out for speed loss, though - the positioning for the proposed zero-g roll seems a bit high.

#43 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

There's something about that POV that really makes it feel and look like going up a B&M Invert Lift.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

After more than one year the massive scarab bug found its way home. On his flight through tons of deserts the huge pyramid at the horizon indicated that he's no longer far away from home! 

And yes he made it! he made it with his whole energy, his entire passion and with the love in his heart.

The return of my Egypt themed B&M inverted coaster is now: Both going on building and changing some layout aspects !

-> The lifthill is still what it was like before but with some changes and improvements on the catwalk and chain system. 

-> The drop is going to be more B&M-ish: you will see a pre drop as we know it from so many inverted coasters throughout the whole planet.

-> Diveloop will be the first element as already planned. Zero G roll above the lift hill as well.

-> Then the Scarab bug flies through a helix we only know from Phaethon - Gyeongju World in South Korea. It'll go right into a cobra roll. Followed by a small tear shaped loop and into a hidden subterranean MCBR. 

-> But there is no long time to catch a breath. The bug flies through a helix coming back to daylight but disappearing into a small subterranean tunnel and into a corkscrew that appears above the terrain.

-> Back to the Egypt underground and into another helix that ends above the terrain into the engine breaks run. A last small turn and were back at the station.

I'm proud to present to you the new beginning of this massive project <3  :

Attached File  IMG_0285.JPG   113.13KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0292.JPG   169.23KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0290.JPG   152.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0265.JPG   99.53KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0302.JPG   95.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0303.JPG   100.62KB   0 downloads

Some terrain height might change.

Attached File  IMG_0288.JPG   181.53KB   1 downloads

As you can see the coaster its way too big for our apartment so I'll build the coaster in my girlfriends basement. Because I don't know how to transport everything the next update might come not as soon as we all wish it to come.

As always: your comments, suggestions and opinions are important! 

- GermanKnexCoasters 

#45 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

It's back! I had a vision that this would return. Tube supported lift hills always look so sexy... and I never would've  thought to have the tubing like that to act as a chain guide. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#46 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

Looks really good, and the layout seems very unique. Good luck pulling off all those helices though, they really seem to kill speed. I'll definitely be watching this.  :)

4 Windseekers and counting...

#47 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

Nice lift! You might want to put an NSFW tag on that close up of the crest... ;)

• SCM likes this

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#48 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

I love the look of this though I really hope this isn't too ambitious- speed is a real pain with inverts :/
The layout looks like it flows very nicely and what you have built so far looks very nice. I also like the chain guide you have built and admire you for it as it is not easy! I built one myself using micro chain, however due to the small size the chain dog slipped at the crest and I had to use a rear chain dog.

Will certainly be keeping an eye on this! Good luck :)

#49 Inswerver

Inswerver

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

omg it's back!

and looking pretty decent may i just say. cant wait to see more!

I shall deal with this Jedi slime, Myself!

#50 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hey coaster enthusiasts! 

This will be a small update about DIVELOOP and STATION.

I did some work today on the Diveloop as you can see in the following pictures: 

Attached File  IMG_0426.JPG   175.77KB   2 downloads

To have the structure more sturdy the Crossties connect to the normal Flexis at the top and pull in due to the flexibility I need there. An other "layer" of green Flexis is connected with the first one. 

The Pullout's Crossties are connected to grey rods to give the very speedy part more stability. The Supports are connected with the Track on a third layer of rods as you can see here: 

Attached File  IMG_0427.JPG   105.26KB   1 downloads

The station has been build since last week.

Additionally to my Pyramid  I designed the station as an egypt temple to have it fit more into the theme.

Attached File  IMG_0429.JPG   156.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0437.JPG   147.48KB   0 downloads

I build a motorized tire mechanism to roll the train from the final break run into the station.

The third tire rolls the train out of station.

Attached File  IMG_0442.JPG   155.63KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0436.JPG   181.19KB   0 downloads

The final station will have no automatic station gates but a queue organization as you can see in the following picture.

The loading section's floor will be motorized as well. (hopefully)

Attached File  IMG_0431.JPG   164.57KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0433.JPG   132.94KB   0 downloads

Here is a little Test of the tire mechanism^^

Unfortunately I not about to move my knee into my Girlfriends basement as soon as I would like to because we have to clear it up a bit.

I hope you are not too mad that I'm not quoting today but I'll do next Update!!! 

Stay loco - GKC

Edited by GER Seano, 23 May 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#51 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Everything looks very smooth to me, and the supports look extremely strong. Only suggestion I have is to make the top of the dive loop a little bit sharper. Might just be me, but it looks a little bit too circular right now. Good luck!

4 Windseekers and counting...

#52 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Looking good to me. I like how you're making the station into an egyptian tomb. I love it when people make themed stations. (A) 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#53 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Great stuff. I still love those cars. That station works nicely, if a little jerky but with my stations, I can't complain. Good work.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom cars, egypt, pyramid, b&m, bolliger and mabillard, inverted, invert