multidimentional

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

If you have been keeping up with the Quick Pics on SSCoasters, you may have seen glimpses of what I am building at the moment. Today I will give you three more pictures and a thread to leave your replies in. It should be fairly obvious what is going on, if you know my past. And yes, those beams are foldable.

gwob_01.jpg

gwob_02.jpg

gwob_03.jpg

Another nice, little detail: when this is finished, I will have to do a part count for it.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

Is this going to take back the title of the largest Ferris wheel when done? I can't wait to see it all up again.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

Oh man, Gump is back. I'm assuming that GWOB stands for Great Wheel Of Britain?

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#4 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:37 PM

^ Nope, try again. ;)

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#5 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:54 AM

Great Wheel of Belgium probably? Anyways, at least you're sure it won't collapse haha!

Posted Image

#6 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

A good reason to go to Bobbejaanland again :)

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#7 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

I started work on this on November 3rd, but kept it from you for some time. Now very, very, very unforunately I got an e-mail on the same day when I posted this thread. I won't get into how arrangements were made, but let's say Bobbejaanland (who asked for a large K'NEX Ferris wheel, initially) one-sidedly cancelled the GWOB project. Yep, this was supposed to be put up in Bobbejaanland and other venues (think of cinemas and malls) in Belgium. The company leaders, however, decided a Ferris wheel isn't exciting enough. Obviously, this news came to me when I had already started work on this K'NEX project. Actually, I have already spent 30 hours on this. Considering the part count I mentioned, I was supposed to be given back all the parts (40k estimated) used for GWOB.

I'm really far into the building progress, so I won't cancel it. I do hope there will be another party that's interested in it, though.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#8 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

I started work on this on November 3rd, but kept it from you for some time. Now very, very, very unforunately I got an e-mail on the same day when I posted this thread. I won't get into how arrangements were made, but let's say Bobbejaanland (who asked for a large K'NEX Ferris wheel, initially) one-sidedly cancelled the GWOB project. Yep, this was supposed to be put up in Bobbejaanland and other venues (think of cinemas and malls) in Belgium. The company leaders, however, decided a Ferris wheel isn't exciting enough. Obviously, this news came to me when I had already started work on this K'NEX project. Actually, I have already spent 30 hours on this. Considering the part count I mentioned, I was supposed to be given back all the parts (40k estimated) used for GWOB.

I'm really far into the building progress, so I won't cancel it. I do hope there will be another party that's interested in it, though.

Oh dude, that sucks! Hopefully someone else comes along, and in the mean time they will realise the scale of this ferris wheel, and perhaps change their mind ;)

#9 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:09 AM

Not exciting enough!?!?!?!?! Little do they know apparently.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#10 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Yesterday Max told me about the cancellation by Bobbenjaanland, that sucks! Taking into account that you have already spent thirty hours on GWOB, continuing with building is probably the right decision. I cannot understand how Bobbejaanland called GWOB not exciting enough, but I am sure that in the future there will be another party who is interested in the Ferris Wheel. 

Posted Image

#11 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

gwoh_04.jpg

Within the base of the GWOH 2.0 there's space for storage of carriages and ring parts. A grid supports these stored parts.

gwoh_05.jpg

Thirty carriages and twelve ring parts on each half of the base.

gwoh_06.jpg

The starts of the remaining tubes that still need to be constructed. Yes, that's 36 of 'em.

gwoh_07.jpg

Here's twelve large tubes, making six sets of spokes. Just eighteen left to do...

And of course I still need to build lateral supports. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#12 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Man, I'm sorry to hear about them canceling on you. That just seems unprofessional. Anyway, I'm interested to see how you change the design to make it more transportable! And I feel sorry for your thumbs - that's a lot of tubes to assemble...

Edited by ~stεεlspectrum~, 21 November 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#13 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Oh no! I really hope this comes somewhere in belgium so i can come and visit it! Looks really good Jump, like always.

Posted Image

#14 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Maybe you remember (just check the pictures above) there were two large parts that included all the carriages and ring parts. I added a support system to those parts, making them stackable. Part of this support system will be removed when the ride is assembled. So far these are the first parts that are not used in the final (assembled) ride; they only help with transportation.

gwoh_08.jpg

gwoh_09.jpg

For the center hub of the wheel I got a steel axle onto which I cut screw thread on both ends. Through this I was able to keep both ends together with wing nuts. During GWOH 1.0, it was rather annoying to install the center hub, because the axle had to be inserted manually. Now this has already been done, leaving me only with connecting the four large supporting beams to this contraption.

gwoh_10.jpg

gwoh_11.jpg

On the matter of the tube spokes (of which manufacturing sucks monkey balls): 12 of 24 spokes have been completed. On GWOH 1.0 there were only 12 spokes, so I'm past that mark. The other 12 spokes are halfway done. It will still be a long way from here, but now that I made the other parts stackable, I have more room to build in.

I also started work on the motor assemblies, which will be way simpler (and smaller) than on GWOH 1.0. They are not finished yet, nor tested, so no pictures of those just yet.

And I hope to build the lateral supports this week. They are supposed to be on one side only, as opposed to GWOH 1.0, which had them on both sides

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#15 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

Nice! I like the axle threading, good idea!

Also with the previous setbacks is this going to be displayed anywhere? ;)

#16 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

How much does this thing weigh (approximately)?

#17 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

From the top of my head: the wheel itself is ~40 kilograms or just short of 90 lbs.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#18 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

Not surprised. Thing looks heavy as heck.

#19 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

I think I'd faint if I knew I had to had construct so many huge spokes. It definitely will be worth it in the end though.

Tyndrum

#20 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Yeah it takes an awful long time and I usually can't keep on building these tubes longer than an hour straight.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multidimentional