Snowdrift - A K'nex Vertical Lift Coaster

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

Just incase anybody has been wondering, I took Laika down without a video. I Don't consider this a loss however, mainly because the coaster could make it from the station through the course and back to the station. Anyways, this is my new coaster I'm working on. It was going to be a diving coaster, but it wasn't working the way I thought it would. So, at this point, I am thinking it might be somewhat of a looping coaster, but i am not quite sure yet. Here are some pictures of what I have done.

image2%204_zps50nzecxs.jpg

image3%202_zpsbe7e1cug.jpg
I will fix the horrible loop, don't worry.
image5%201_zps6awjaxny.jpg

image1%209_zpsjbqgbbgw.jpg

image4%201_zpsnklytdq8.jpg

image6%201_zpsade52u7h.jpg

Sorry I couldn't edit this video, my computer wasn't working properly.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 23 July 2016 - 02:51 PM.

• Pechedelavarga likes this

#2 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

cute cat:)

looks good so far.

I'd recommend you to give the drop's pullout a bit more space 

#3 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Looks good so far, nice speed throught the loop. You shoud probabaly clean up your room a little bit to make it easier to walk around and build more elements for this coaster.

#4 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:31 AM

Thanks, both of you!
I agree with you IOAgeek, I have actually been meaning to clean my room for quite some time. I will be sure to clean it up before the next update.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 24 November 2015 - 12:31 AM.

#5 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

I'm sure you noticed that this coaster has a name. I am sure some of you are wondering why I named it after a city in Ireland. That isn't what I named it after; I named it after the song Aberdeen by Cage the Elephant. I am sure some of you are familiar with the song. Anyway, I just thought about it the other day while I was listening to Cage the Elephant. I was sitting there thinking about names, when Aberdeen comes on. Then I had a ton of other ideas that would work perfectly with that, so I kept that name. Now that that is taken care of, let me move on to the update. I have added a few new things:

Here is the whole coaster so far. As you can see, I am adding a launch.

image2_zps6672rxgr.jpg

You also may have noticed that I tidied my room up a bit

image1_zpskamm0w57.jpg

image4_zpsaytdeqtu.jpg

image5_zpsamzq9ecb.jpg

Here is the crooked launch.

image3_zpssnfvgsw9.jpg

And here is my favorite picture:

image6_zpsfo72dehg.jpg

#6 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

Ooh, a launch. Me likey! (eek) The rest of this coaster also rocks! I can't believe how much you can put in a compact space!

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#7 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:11 AM

Ooh, a launch. Me likey! (eek) The rest of this coaster also rocks! I can't believe how much you can put in a compact space!

Thanks! I too am shocked at the size of this coaster.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 20 December 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#8 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

I have just a quick update here, to show you everything that I have done over the past day or two. I have changed the launch about three different times and none of them have worked, so I have to make a fourth launch and hopefully I won't have to make another one. I wasn't quite sure what to place after the launch; I ended up going with this kind of an inclined banked turn. Let me know if I should keep this or do something else. I was thinking maybe a small top hat. I also would like to add one more inversion, so if you have any ideas, let me know! Today, I think I’m going to paint the other train the rest of the way, add a new working launch, and maybe add some more on to the coaster. Well, I don't have anything else to say really, so I will just show you the pictures now.

image2_zpsu2gebyvk.jpg

image1_zps23wfwddz.jpg

Here are the new cars; I still have to fix the black tip of it.

image3_zpspnglnrtu.jpg 

Edited by WSWAoasters, 27 November 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#9 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

I'm quite excited to say that I am not going to be using any of that banked turn garbage, this is a looping coaster, darn it! So, I have decided to go with a cobra roll, then either a corkscrew or two, or a loop. I'm not quite sure yet. Anywas, that's really all I have to say. I have a few pictures of the construction on the cobra roll. I also changed the positioning of the launch. It was off-set, and that was messing everything up. Welp, here are the pictures! 

image3_zpsev8nw9js.jpg

image2_zpsvfsflbxu.jpg

image1_zps8rettk2r.jpg

Oh yeah! I almost forgot, I have completed both trains. The final product you see now was an accident at first, but I realized I liked it a lot. So, I did it to both trains, however, if you look closely, you can see that I used black as a bass on one of the trains, and red as the bass on the other train. I then accidently spritzed the red paint on the black train and black on the red train. 

image3_zpstdkd7sh9.jpg

image2_zps4c0ivn42.jpg

image1_zpsdr7obj4n.jpg

Edited by WSWAoasters, 28 November 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#10 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

I'm back again with a quick question for everyone; have I overdone it? 

image1%2013_zpselzs5e4o.jpg

I feel like it's too much.

image4_zpskujmmx0e.jpg

image3_zpso6yvyviw.jpg

image2_zpszyhmovd7.jpg

image1%2014_zpswqqdxzmx.jpg

I got a video update! I finally finished the launch! It works pretty nicely too! I haven't tried stretching the bands too far yet, I'll be sure to test the stress on the bands soon. I will also get some new bands pretty soon when I get the supplies for the theming. 

Arcade Fire = DA BOMB! :D

Edited by WSWAoasters, 01 December 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#11 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

You can never overdo Knex. :)

Wow, this is a great compact looping coaster, It turned out great!

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#12 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

That 2nd to last picture is beautiful. It took me a few minutes to figure out where this goes, though. :P *goes upstairs to work on my own launched coaster* 

Edited by SCM, 02 December 2015 - 09:13 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#13 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:04 PM

That 2nd to last picture is beautiful. It took me a few minutes to figure out where this goes, though. :P *goes upstairs to work on my own launched coaster* 

Thank you! I am kind of shocked with where this is going. Also I am very excited to see your completed project!  

#14 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

You can never overdo Knex. :)

Wow, this is a great compact looping coaster, It turned out great!

Thanks! I hope to make this my best coaster so far! I have great plans for the theming of this coaster; I certainly hope I can make it work!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 03 December 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#15 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Alright, I have finished the lift finally! It only took me what, a month? Anyways, I finally finished it, and I am going to be finishing the launch hopefully by tomorrow. Here is the video:

Almost forgot! I decided I didn't want to make this coaster and name it Aberdeen. My solution is (I didn't come up with it) to make a winter coaster! So I really hope you guys enjoy this quick update, and I will have another shortly.

#16 GravitySnake

GravitySnake

Construction Worker

• 124 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

You say too much;

I say not enough!

That is so dense black holes could get jelly.

#17 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Sorry to bump the construction thread, but I'm just seeing this for the first time. I love how twisty this is! (I'm a sucker for compact layouts.) I hope you can get the launch working, and I'd love if you could post some more close-ups so we can see how the launch works. If you can find 1/4" surgical tubing, that's what a lot of people (including myself) use instead of a rubber band. It's a lot more elastic and durable than everyday rubber bands - the amount of speed you can get with it is insane. It's probably overkill for a launch of this size, but you'll want it if you ever plan on building another launch in the future.

#18 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

Sorry to bump the construction thread, but I'm just seeing this for the first time. I love how twisty this is! (I'm a sucker for compact layouts.) I hope you can get the launch working, and I'd love if you could post some more close-ups so we can see how the launch works. If you can find 1/4" surgical tubing, that's what a lot of people (including myself) use instead of a rubber band. It's a lot more elastic and durable than everyday rubber bands - the amount of speed you can get with it is insane. It's probably overkill for a launch of this size, but you'll want it if you ever plan on building another launch in the future.

I will definitely get more pictures, finish the launch, and hopefully get some surgical tubing. I am getting very close to getting the launch finished, however, the rubber band doesn't produce enough speed. Anyways, I will post an update within the next few days. Until then, happy holidays everybody!

#19 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm finally back with one of the last few updates for this coaster. I think I have finished the track's layout. The reason I say think is because Steelspectrum recommended that I use 1/4 in. surgical tubing for my launch, and looking back on everyone who I have seen use surgical tubing gets so much speed from their launch; so I am thinking that I can get a ton of speed if I use surgical tubing, which would mean that I will probably change the layout a bit.

Now, I am going to change the subject completely, but I have been thinking about getting a Gopro recently, so I went online, took a look, but I have no idea what the heck I'm looking for. I would really appreciate any recommendations for that. Again, completely changing the subject, here are some pictures:

image3_zpssyo4oqec.jpg

image2_zpsh05ue9i1.jpg

image5_zpshpf8jivp.jpg

That's pretty much all I have for this update, let me know if you notice any problems, don't like certain areas, or just have something you would like to say. I should have a video update as soon as I can get my hands on some surgical tubing.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 30 December 2015 - 07:27 PM.

#20 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

The layout and shaping looks amazing! As for the gopro, I got the Hero 4 Session for Christmas and it's pretty good. It's $200 and it's pretty small, it's decent quality and does 1440p 30fps, 1080p 60fps, and 720 100fps. I'm not sure how you put a gopro on the car, but it's pretty light and small. http://shop.gopro.co...CHDHS-101.html

Edited by KirbyCoast, 30 December 2015 - 07:44 PM.