vv micro mirage vv inverted batman the ride dragons drop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Why hello again everyone :) It's been a while since I've started a new project, over a year in fact, but if you've seen my latest quick pic, you'll know that Frutti-Tutti Whirl is now most certainly dead and buried. My fingers hurt after that...but still, whilst I feel a little sad to take it down (it had been a permanent fixture in my room for absolutely ages), I'm really excited about what I'm making next.

7wdy86u.jpg
48eDPbR.jpg
4iUWPbo.jpg
aLniiUj.jpg
Yup. Gone for sure.

Obviously, I'm not going to tell you what it is yet :P , but what I can tell you, is that it'll a fair bit less ambitious than my last one and I'm going to try to make it as cleanly built as possible, which I felt was something FTW really lacked. It's not going to be anything particularly revolutionary, with no (well, maybe one) firsts in micro K'NEX, but I'm really focussing on quality not quantity here, and hopefully you guys will like it...

Anyway, time for some proper clues. These should hopefully be a lot easier than last time:
Quite simply, what's the link between these pictures?

patriots-3d-logo.png
Most of you guys are from across the pond, so you should be able to get this one...no pressure.

51969-004-A91A8B4A.jpg

4i9ab6jGT.jpeg
Just name the brand...easy right?

MayaTable1.gif
The impossible one nobody will get!

hqdefault.jpg
And lastly...name the marine organism...poor child, huh?

Ok, so enough of the teasing, here's what I've actually built...which will probably be a very easy clue.
Here we go:
GXQsQPn.jpg
FCyERDy.jpg
(I've sorted out the bending in the bigger support, I think)
y8nu243.jpg

I've actually made a lot of progress, and took those pictures about a week ago, so expect a reveal and proper update soon!
Thanks for reading!

Edited by Batwing, 19 July 2016 - 01:56 PM.

• Batwing likes this
Posted Image

#2 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hmmm... Patriot, Talon, Monster, and the other two I forgot. I just love VV inverts. :)

You should totally run two trains with 3 DD cars each on this one. ;)

EDIT: Be sure to get good pics of the motor setup, cause I have no idea, and I really want to do an invert.

Edited by Spaghetti, 18 January 2016 - 07:44 PM.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#3 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

A B&M invert, I'm guessing.  A key tip to making sure your supports don't bend is to stagger the connectors, making sure that there are no specific weak points in your tubes.

Look at the big support in this picture:

http://i1185.photobu...zps6w8qvjdt.jpg

The black connectors are spaced apart, so that even with four connectors in one point, the other half have rods there to keep them straight.

Here's a better picture of the supports, just more of them.

http://i1185.photobu...zpsaete745t.jpg

Another coloration, and slightly different construction, but the idea remains the same:

http://i1299.photobu...zpsydqzn3gk.jpg

Edited by IonZer0, 18 January 2016 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#4 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hmmm... Patriot, Talon, Monster, and the other two I forgot. I just love VV inverts. :)

You should totally run two trains with 3 DD cars each on this one. ;)

EDIT: Be sure to get good pics of the motor setup, cause I have no idea, and I really want to do an invert.

Well done sir (not that it was that hard ;) ) ! At the moment, I only have two DD cars, but one of my friends has more than 10, so hopefully, I might even be able to get three trains running for the final video!  I haven't started on the motor setup yet, but that's my next job and I'll be sure to take some photos for you.

A B&M invert, I'm guessing.  A key tip to making sure your supports don't bend is to stagger the connectors, making sure that there are no specific weak points in your tubes.

Look at the big support in this picture:

http://i1185.photobu...zps6w8qvjdt.jpg

The black connectors are spaced apart, so that even with four connectors in one point, the other half have rods there to keep them straight.

Here's a better picture of the supports, just more of them.

http://i1185.photobu...zpsaete745t.jpg

Another coloration, and slightly different construction, but the idea remains the same:

http://i1299.photobu...zpsydqzn3gk.jpg

That's actually a really good idea!  However, I've built most of the supports already - and by cross supporting them, I've largely solved that issue, but I'll certainly do it with the micro supports towards the end of the layout! Thanks!

Ok, so...I'd better officially annouce this thing!

The clues first:

1) Patriot (after the New England Patriots)

2) Talon (part of bird claws)

3) Monster (after monster energy drinks)

4) Was a seriously difficult one.  The image represents a part of a time period of about 7,200 days on the Mayan calender, otherwise known as a K'atun.  Disappointed guys!

5) Great white (shark)

So, lately a lot of people have been building some very good micro inverts, and after realising I had a pitiful amount of pieces to make an RMC with, I decided I really wanted to follow that trend. This isn't my first attempt at an invert though, as I built one way back in 2012, but a bit crudely:

As for this one, naturally, it'll be styled based on B&M inverts, especially the Batman clones, and its maximum height is just over 6 grey rods tall (so substantially smaller than my last two coasters), but I'm really trying to go for quality over quantity here!

Anyway, onto the pictures:

FNbpgiv.jpg

For now, I've only got two DD cars, so I've added in a zero car in so it doesn't seem awkwardly short ;) I'll use this one and three standard cars until I can borrow some from a friend to make the final video!

lveT5Lk.jpg

And there she is! 

Ew9ZywS.jpg

The lift isn't quite straight in a few places, but I should be able to sort that out by reinforcing the spine.  As you can see, I'm using the same base I used on Frutti-tutti whirl (in fact, I haven't even had to dismantle it!)

xAYxwFJ.jpg

A view of that pre-drop which is a feature on all B&M inverts (apart from Banshee of course ;) ). Gotta have a flag too!

Hopefully this should ensure my chain disengages smoothly too, by reducing the stress and tension on it (which was actually its original purpose I think)

ojlPvxv.jpg

The rest of the drop!

cxeDPLO.jpg

I don't like this photo much, as the shaping doesn't look so great from this angle, but it gives quite a good perspective of the supports.  And yes, those are slippers I'm wearing - it's cold outside, but at least there aren't any massive blizzards over here....(lol ;) )

hLfjkDX.jpg

Now there's a better photo - check out that shadow!

gFGTwbz.jpg

And another one, just for fun.

2HeizXV.jpg

Everything looks better in this light!

3nxXziK.jpg

Any tips on the motor assembly? So I can use a 2-speed, I'm going to try and put the motor at the base of the lift.

fJL2uif.jpg

A nice view to wake up to!

tr2beO0.jpg

I suppose you all know what's coming next now ;)

ju7HtD4.jpg

One last view. Hope you guys like it ;)

I probably won't do too much trackwork until I've completed the motor assembly, but I'll certainly have worked more on the next element by the time I update. 

On a side note, I came up with a provisional name for this thing...Mirage?! What do you think?

Anyway, thanks for reading! :)

Edited by Batwing, 24 January 2016 - 01:00 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

Don't worry... I'm working on an RMC at this moment in time... Anyway, the name sounds great! However, is there a reason that the drop doesn't go to the ground?

#6 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

I like the shaping, although I think the drop could go a little bit farther out so it banks more like in this picture: http://www.themepark...t8/IMG_0033.JPG . I also like that name because I don't think I've never heard it used on a rollercoaster before. The supports look good, but the second to last one looks a little crooked. This looks like it could be really good!

EDIT: I just realized that the picture I linked to has a drop that turns 90 degrees instead of 180, but I couldn't find any better pictures. Maybe this one? https://www.google.c...l5uxTu72AQ_ILM:

Edited by KirbyCoast, 24 January 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Aww. When I first saw it, I looked up the Mayan Calendar and was going to guess Katun as well but then didn't because I didn't think it was going to be right. The lift, aside from it's minor flaws, already looks great. You've made much progress since 2012. Everything else I want to say about the drop has already been said. Good work. 

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#8 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

man that turned out pretty nice! 

my first thought wasn't that good by seeing the first supports. But boy, you made an awesome lift hill! I personally like the catwalk most.

but don't forget the chain return, because due to that what I can see is that there's no much space left for it.

anyways keep on, I'm really interested in this 

#9 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

1 month and one day...not bad huh? Anyway, I've made a lot of progress during that time.

Don't worry... I'm working on an RMC at this moment in time... Anyway, the name sounds great! However, is there a reason that the drop doesn't go to the ground?

And it looks very stylish so far! Thank you - the drop doesn't go all the way to the ground, like the Batman clones actually, so I have more speed for later ;)

Btw, I've got pictures of the motor setup below!

I like the shaping, although I think the drop could go a little bit farther out so it banks more like in this picture: http://www.themepark...t8/IMG_0033.JPG . I also like that name because I don't think I've never heard it used on a rollercoaster before. The supports look good, but the second to last one looks a little crooked. This looks like it could be really good!

EDIT: I just realized that the picture I linked to has a drop that turns 90 degrees instead of 180, but I couldn't find any better pictures. Maybe this one? https://www.google.c...l5uxTu72AQ_ILM:

Thanks, I've tried my best to bring it a little further out. However, there's only so much I can do with it since I'm using two left turns at the top to give it that distinctive 'snap'.

Aww. When I first saw it, I looked up the Mayan Calendar and was going to guess Katun as well but then didn't because I didn't think it was going to be right. The lift, aside from it's minor flaws, already looks great. You've made much progress since 2012. Everything else I want to say about the drop has already been said. Good work. 

Thanks! Hope I've appeased you - I've done a decent amount of work on the minor flaws since my last update, especially the straightness.

man that turned out pretty nice! 

my first thought wasn't that good by seeing the first supports. But boy, you made an awesome lift hill! I personally like the catwalk most.

but don't forget the chain return, because due to that what I can see is that there's no much space left for it.

anyways keep on, I'm really interested in this 

Thanks a lot! Hope you like what I've done ;)

Trust me, there was!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, since I left off, I've pretty much completed the lift, the drop and the first inversion - a classic B&M vertical loop.

Most of my work has been focussed on consolidating what you saw in the last update.

I'll show you round the site:

PNt7YRc.jpg

First things first, here's my gear assembly and motor setup, along with the base of the catwalk.  Ideally, I'd like to gear down the two-speed a bit more to increase torque, smoothness, and so I can actually use the 2-speed as a 2-speed :)

v3Uz5Oa.jpg

IIoCrTu.jpg

The complete lift hill. Whilst it's not perfectly straight, it's a lot straighter than it once was! And I'm happy with it.

B4berAr.jpgSoDnPJ6.jpg

And now onto the most exciting new addition - the loop...I just hope you guys like it!

However, there's a but. I'd been really struggling with speed efficiency until:

K1aNhd6.jpg

HQG3HYs.jpg

That's a really nice view of the drop too - on which I've been doing a lot of work on recently.

deqEJVw.jpg

So yeah...in a nutshell, by replacing my old track from 2012 with the newer green I used more recently on FTW, the train now makes the loop with decent speed.  The trouble is - I don't own any green turn pieces so I've got a few options for you guys.

-If you liked the old yellow, then I can just buy a tonne more of that.

-I can keep it dual-coloured

-Or, I can do my best to try and find some. I expect I'll probably have to get them from across the pond (that's a britishism for the US btw) unfortunately.

I'm currently undecided.

9L8rjG8.jpg

A nice overview!

ZuCyChq.jpg

Looks A LOT more even now, or even parabolic from above.

h9BppYa.jpg

Q3naCrt.jpg

As you can see here, the chain seems to run quite nicely along the back of the spine

PHna7Sl.jpg

If I could solve the chain sagging problem, believe me, I would.

ZY9asrs.jpg

0ip8RuC.jpg

(you're not going mad, that is a mirror shot)

c7ITPXS.jpg

Here's the train I've got to make it.  I've weighted the two DD cars to the best of my ability.

The standard car is just really there as a placeholder right now - there's a whole host of things I can do with the trains, including adding seats to the second row of the silver car, making the rest a zero car like on Alpengeist at BGW. Or I could use three DD cars...but just using two doesn't work.  If I retracked the top of the drop, it certainly would though.

atfCJwW.jpg

KgsBqXF.jpg

Me gusta.

HlUfW5i.jpg

There we have it. Have a great day everyone!

Posted Image

#10 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

I love the way the whole thing looks! The shaping is on point fo sho! I think you should probably do which ever option is more efficient both money wise, time wise, just in general. I think that you really can't go wrong with either dual colored or solid colored. I know that whatever you choose to do, this is going to be a fantastic build!

#11 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

There are a couple of fairly obvious sharp spots on either side of the loop but given VV limitations, you're probably fine with them, unless you just want to raise the whole top of the loop up just to smooth them out. You did say you had some speed left. The general appearance though you've just about nailed. Very nice work sir.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#12 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

There are a couple of fairly obvious sharp spots on either side of the loop but given VV limitations, you're probably fine with them, unless you just want to raise the whole top of the loop up just to smooth them out. You did say you had some speed left. The general appearance though you've just about nailed. Very nice work sir.

Thanks! I've tried my best to fix the sharp spots, particularly on the left side of the loop, but as you say, there's only so much I can do!

I love the way the whole thing looks! The shaping is on point fo sho! I think you should probably do which ever option is more efficient both money wise, time wise, just in general. I think that you really can't go wrong with either dual colored or solid colored. I know that whatever you choose to do, this is going to be a fantastic build!

Thanks a lot! Because the green track is newer and therefore has greater speed efficiency, I'm going to try to get some green turn pieces from somewhere and make the whole thing green.  We'll see.

Anyway, I've managed to build quite a bit more recently, including a second inversion, I really wanted to build a zero-G roll, but then realised I didn't have enough space for it, so basically, I squished it. Here we go then:

GD9Ttfp.jpg

And there she is! And it manages to make it too! That tends to help.

pRvWJ2g.jpg

Bit blurry, but you can get the idea! 

EWNXJSK.jpg

An earlier shaping attempt which didn't go quite so well....with some weird sharp spots.

2LZD4t0.jpg

And there's the rest of the track added since the last update.

OrACjjv.jpg

The reason I didn't bring the first drop all the way to the ground was for realism, but also so I could have enough speed left to complete the next manoeuvre...which might well be what I like to call an 'inversion compound ' - an distinct element consisting of two or more inversions.

Have a guess!

KnqzsTz.jpg

Wow. Such twist. Very speed. Much upside-downness. 

gATh0w8.jpg

Plenty of support going on. At this point in time I'd like to highlight the footers I've been using for the straight supports - a new (and actually rather strong) invention of mine!

clLnjBo.jpg

And there we have it!

tuTp4u5.jpg

And why not have another photo of the now fully completed loop?

7WOdrKl.jpg

I probably shouldn't store my spines like that, but ah well.

2BDR8BS.jpg

A bit blurry again, but shows the shaping well

2TlFuUv.jpg

Rough shaping of the pre-lift section. Obviously the end product won't look that shabby ;)

Also I'm apologise about the base for anyone with OCD...

BH88TbL.jpg

A better view. Actually looks quite nice from that perspective.

nlfGmUg.jpg

Site overview!

wrk0TqE.jpg

View from the wardrobe....

ZmqNk7y.jpg

Yeah, I've kinda run out of things to say about it now.

But there is one more thing:

Olae2Hq.jpg

Now what do you reckon this mechanism is for?

If I were Six Flags or Merlin right now, I'd probably run all the way up and down the street shouting and proclaiming it as a world's first, but in reality, I've got no idea whether it is or not. Whilst I'm not sure it's been featured on an SS coaster, I suspect I'm the first one to bother with it in micro.  We'll see.

HINT: It's a common feature of all B&M inverts, dive machines and floorless coasters.

That is all ;) Hope you like it - and comment pls.

I'm on a geography field trip next week, so somehow, I don't think I'll be updating until at least the week after!

Posted Image

#13 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Your hint is easy. You are doing an automatic "vanishing" floor used on multiple B&M coasters. I like the roll. It is very nice and the shaping is rather sexy. ;)

I thought this would fit with your "cheeky" corkscrew. Ugh, I hate that word.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Spaghetti, 15 March 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#14 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:37 AM

That looks nice!! the elements look very smooth and well- supported

I'm excited to see more:)

#15 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:14 AM

That roll is very smooth I have to say. I love the way this looks so far. It has a really nice smooth flow to it and yes, those footers look great.

Tyndrum

#16 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Well, believe it or not, I'm not actually dead! I've just been very, very busy...these last two years at sixth form have been two of the most intense years of my life, and I've still got to do my final exams.  However, I have been up to something in my revision breaks...

Your hint is easy. You are doing an automatic "vanishing" floor used on multiple B&M coasters. I like the roll. It is very nice and the shaping is rather sexy.  ;)

I thought this would fit with your "cheeky" corkscrew. Ugh, I hate that word.

hqdefault.jpg

It was a bit easy wasn't it? Thanks - and that's a very nice picture of me.

That looks nice!! the elements look very smooth and well- supported

I'm excited to see more:)

Thanks a lot! I took my time, but there is more now....

That roll is very smooth I have to say. I love the way this looks so far. It has a really nice smooth flow to it and yes, those footers look great.

Thanks! You can use them with SS too ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, since I've been gone, I've actually achieved quite a lot. Originally I wanted to make a cobra roll...but speed loss was a bitch, so I had to settle for an immelman instead.  Here's my first attempt:

YkgaRTX.jpg

Px7TXtf.jpg

However, speed loss, yet again, was a bitch, so I had to lower it quite substantially.  It's not all bad news though - I much prefer the shaping of the new one...

ayQLetq.jpg

Here we go. I've managed to get through my usual mid-build crisis, where nothing seems to work! Anyone else had that?

2VbRTT2.jpg

8BOTZht.jpg

And now a tunnel, with VERY tight clearance, it must be said...

ZKXOkp8.jpg

It might stick out a bit as a straight spot, but the plan is to cover it over so nobody will ever know... :P

oo0PNej.jpg

Spoiler: This may or may not be the entrance, with the tunnel doubling as a bridge!

Next up....

Yn2hscQ.jpg

A high speed banked turn of course!

gV20BL3.jpg

It comes back in a little at the end, to be a bit more realistic!

bSYBtg8.jpg

I'd wanted a corkscrew, but...I think you can guess why I went with an inline twist instead.

5EVHhAb.jpg

Dammit! Why do cameras always show up straight spots? It still needs some work, to be fair.

HjYilF2.jpg

An albeit slightly blurred overview of what I've been up to recently

Qvj5t1R.jpg

Note the train in the bottom right...I still plan to use the inverted trains, I was just testing the standard cars to see if there was much of a difference.

HCvrIpk.jpg

Not gonna lie - Boa was definitely my inspiration for the immelman!

3Tm5Zt8.jpg

Now then, how much track can I fit in here?

Gmwyv7Q.jpg

It's slightly offset, but it's all intentional, don't worry!

NFWoaNQ.jpg

Nothing new, but a nice view of the corkscrew/flat spinny thing

TDh0xnQ.jpg

I'm really running out of captions now...

gduF6Ld.jpg

It must be said, I'm kinda running out of purple half moons for the base! Sacrifices may have to me made.

xtp6Zjh.jpg

A bit blurry, but hey, you get the idea.

dvEDHGU.jpg

Surprisingly half-decent panorama attempt.

K0ZXRqD.jpg

Totally run out of captions now.

9L63ZZs.jpg

From the very top. And yes, it does appear, there is some sun in the UK somewhere!

URooqK1.jpg

But what exciting element is next, I hear you ask?

A truly fascinating brake run of course! I probably could've fitted in another element or so, but I really wanted the train to hit the brake run at speed!

Anyway, that's all for now. Still left to do:

-The entire station

-The brake run and 45 degree turn

-The pre-lift needs to be remodelled. I plan on making it move out towards the wall, then have it snake back in.

-As per usual at the end of the project, the lift mechanism needs some attention.  It's not as smooth as I'd like, and moves way to fast with the 2-speed's extra pace.

-The theming (don't get too excited though) and the queue line

Don't get your hopes up about a final video anytime soon, but study leave starts tomorrow, so I should be able to get a fair bit done on revision breaks. Might update with a few quick pics every so often though.

That's all for now!

Thanks for reading!

Posted Image

#17 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

Wow! This is looking fantastic! I'm surprised there's not many comments cause this is fantastic looking, keep up the good work! Love the shaping on everything!

#18 Dragunov!

Dragunov!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

That is cool! I thought you were gonna go for a pretzel knot, but, hey speed is one giant b!tch isn't it?

Me gusta! Move along!

Really Crummy Contraptions designed by Apes

IMG_5782-300x200.jpg

#19 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

^ DEAD MEME ALERT

Living in the cloudy vortex known as Oregon, I understand what you mean by "Miracle" when the sun comes out. Anyway, I love it! Shaping is spot on, and I love the tunnel! One of my dream coasters to make is an invert with a Zero-G-Roll over the plaza... ;) 

#20 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:54 AM

Sun!?!?!?!?! Not in the UK surely!?!?! The roll thing and the Immelmann together kinda remind me of Timbuktu, which is obviously no bad thing. I am really impressed with the shaping and how it's so smooth. I think you've done a great job there. Hopefully you'll have some space to study ;).

Edited by CW5X, 23 May 2016 - 03:54 AM.

Tyndrum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vv, micro, mirage, vv inverted, batman the ride, dragons drop