Iron Shark re-creation

mack sitdown micro

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

I'm starting my new project, and as you can see from the title I am attempting to make a megalite, a small one at least. After I finished my Eurofighter when I was putting back all of the pieces I realized that I had quite a lot of extras, so I think I will have enough pieces. I have a layout, but I'll show it later because I don't think it will be final. I know the first three elements and the rest could really change depending on space and speed loss. Also I know the supports look unstable, and they are but I think I'll add more when I complete the drop. Well that's really all I have to say I think this should be fun.

Attached File  P1190886.JPG   147.2KB   2 downloads

Is this tall enough? it's about 4.5 blue rods tall.

Attached File  P1190885.JPG   202.44KB   2 downloads

Edited by KirbyCoast, 15 February 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#2 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

ಠ_ಠ

a lil bit further

Alrighty. The lift looks really nice, and looks like a good fit with the green track. I am rather concerned about the speed though, as VV and Mega Lites don't really mix. But since it is coming from you, I am looking forward to seeing how you tackle these problems.

Edit: the drop is a bit funky lol

Edited by Spaghetti, 20 January 2016 - 12:11 AM.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#3 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

ಠ_ಠ

a lil bit further

Alrighty. The lift looks really nice, and looks like a good fit with the green track. I am rather concerned about the speed though, as VV and Mega Lites don't really mix. But since it is coming from you, I am looking forward to seeing how you tackle these problems.

Edit: the drop is a bit funky lol

The drop isn't really a drop, it's just there so that I can see if I can have enough space. Also should I make it taller?

#4 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

What you've built so far looks nice, and seems to be quite strong too with that beefy spine!

However, I think to make a good, reasonably long layout you probably need to make it a bit taller - and support the crest a little.

There may be a bit of lateral (side to side) shaking though, so try adding a few rods in to support the sides of the support you've built too.

Good work!

Posted Image

#5 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

What you've built so far looks nice, and seems to be quite strong too with that beefy spine!

However, I think to make a good, reasonably long layout you probably need to make it a bit taller - and support the crest a little.

There may be a bit of lateral (side to side) shaking though, so try adding a few rods in to support the sides of the support you've built too.

Good work!

I made the lift hill 1 red rod taller, so now it's about 5 blue rods tall (same as my last coaster).

I changed the first support, this seems to be a lot stronger.

Attached File  P1240924.JPG   171.98KB   0 downloads

footers

Attached File  P1240925.JPG   204.41KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P1240926.JPG   83.58KB   2 downloads

I added this second support which holds the first one in place more, and holds the top of the drop. Some of the real Mack Megalites have these structures

Attached File  P1240930.JPG   195.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1240932.JPG   74.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1240935.JPG   125.07KB   2 downloads

Edited by KirbyCoast, 24 January 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#6 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

Is this good?

Attached File  P1260937.JPG   203.33KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P1260944.JPG   206.24KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1260936.JPG   150.62KB   2 downloads

Okay so I've been thinking about this for a little bit, and I'm not sure if I want to make a megalite. I want to continue, but I'm afraid that I won't have enough pieces or room and I'll have to quit. At this moment all I have is a lift hill and a drop. I was thinking that I could keep the lift hill and make this (in this same thread) instead:

Attached File  P1260946.JPG   81.81KB   0 downloads

I could keep doing the megalite, but I would rather do this. If you think I should do one or the other, then please comment!

#7 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

I like the layout.

I think you should keep it.

:)

#8 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

I like the layout.

I think you should keep it.

:)

Do you mean I should use the layout I posted? Or keep doing a megalite.

#9 Coupe

Coupe

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:27 AM

I like the idea of the layout you've posted there, however speed loss is a real issue with VV, and you may struggle with the interlocking corkscrews if your turnaround is too tight or you lose too much height early on.

#10 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

I like the idea of the layout you've posted there, however speed loss is a real issue with VV, and you may struggle with the interlocking corkscrews if your turnaround is too tight or you lose too much height early on.

I was thinking that the second corkscrew could be pretty small and I would make the lift hill go four blue rods high.

#11 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Do you mean I should use the layout I posted? Or keep doing a megalite.

the layout you posted.

#12 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

Okay I think I'll do it, I'll try to be careful with speed loss. I might not post for a little bit since it should take a while to get the new chain lift working but I'll try to get it done soon.

#13 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

I really can't figure out what I want to make. I had the same problem last time and I did a eurofighter but I would like to try something with a normal lift hill. I have about 4000 pieces, so if you have any suggestions please tell me.

#14 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

I really can't figure out what I want to make. I had the same problem last time and I did a eurofighter but I would like to try something with a normal lift hill. I have about 4000 pieces, so if you have any suggestions please tell me.

What about a small looper? That might be kind of fun

#15 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

When you say 4000 pieces, no one really knows how many pieces that is whether if they are useful or not. We are here to aid and help your constructions, not tell you what to build or make. You will be better exploring yourself so you can learn what works the best for you, and we can help with that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#16 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

After a lot of ideas I had I decided that I want to make another Eurofighter. I'm going to make this custom, although it might be inspired by a few other Eurofighters. This is what I built this morning:

What do you think of the drop? 

Attached File  P2060002.JPG   144.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P2060005.JPG   88.73KB   1 downloads

I've already started on the next element which will be a dive loop.

Attached File  P2060007.JPG   148.41KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P2060006.JPG   155.1KB   1 downloads

Also how do you change the name of a thread? I think I've seen people do it before. 

EDIT: I do think the pullout and the lift hill look a little weird, although I can't tell why. 

Edited by KirbyCoast, 06 February 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#17 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

This looks fantastic! I kind of see what you mean; the pullout looks a little too big to me, but it still looks absolutely wonderful!

To change the title of your thread, you need to go to the very first post on the thread and click the edit button. There should be a bar with the name of the thread title, remove that text and replace it with the new title for the thread.

#18 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

Just remember you can only change the name on the full/advanced editor.

Anyway, nice work! Looks great, and seems to have quite a regular structure, which is always a good thing!
However, I can see why the drop and pullout seem a bit weird! To me, I think you're missing the main selling point of a eurofighter - the beyond vertical drop. If you just bring the track back on itself slightly, you may find shaping the pullout easier.

Another quick tip: make sure the strength of your supports isn't wasted on a single connection to the spine - make sure you include as many support-spine connections as possible (so long as it doesn't interfere with shaping).

Apart from that - nice work man! :)

Posted Image

#19 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

I made the drop slightly steeper and I think it fixed it! I added one half of the dive loop, I know the shaping looks horrible, but I will fix it after I finish the other half.

Attached File  P2110971.JPG   76.06KB   2 downloads

Attached File  P2110970.JPG   71.16KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P2110968.JPG   109.16KB   1 downloads

#20 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

yeah, the drop is better now but i think you are going to build an immelman and not a dive loop ;D 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mack, sitdown, micro