• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Hey Guys

Lately I've demolished my K'nex Wicked Cyclone http://www.sscoaster...one-recreation/ , to build a new ride. This time it's not a roller coaster, but a thrill ride, to be exactly a Booster. The structure is done now and so I only have to build the station and the arm. The height of the axis is about 2ft 8in so the arm will probably go up to 5ft while spinning. But because K'nex isn't that stabile I had to use 2 Supporting tubes instead of one like on the real one.
But now some photos:
Attached File  image.jpeg   195KB   2 downloads
First support tube

Attached File  image.jpeg   112.04KB   1 downloads
And how it is at the moment

Attached File  image.jpeg   96.02KB   1 downloads
Do you like it so far?

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 29 January 2016 - 05:59 PM.

Count: 211 (192 Steel & 19 Wood) 37 Parks

YouTube: www.youtube.com/k1ngdaka88

Disclaimer: Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from Switzerland!

#2 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

You should put something connecting the two supports about halfway down, it'll make it stronger. Also those footers don't look very strong, try looking around in the tutorial section, I think Stig has a tutorial on footers. Is this the kind of ride you are building? http://withoutbaggag...oardwalk/69503/

Edited by KirbyCoast, 29 January 2016 - 11:38 PM.

#3 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

^ I think he's going for something like this http://www.themepark...booster_131.jpg
try to get about 5 good tube to base connects and maybe even a third supporting the two. I've tried this before and it wasn't that easy for me but good luck!

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#4 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:59 AM

^jep knex.koasters it's that kind of ride. How do you mean that with the 5 tubes as base connectors?

^^I'm going to look for that tutorial.

#5 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

the third photo is the front view. the base is one yellow rod. the green is the connections from the base to the support. the second photo is of a third support you could put in that would help the first two. the first photo is of how I do my supports. I just kinda try different connectors with different pieces until I get it. hope this helps!

Attached Files

Edited by knex.koasters, 30 January 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#6 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

^okay

Today I've changed the footers, due they weren't stable at all. I've also made the arm, but there is a main problem. If the arm is put on the axis, the the whole structure drops sideways if I won't hold it. So it can't even stand still! So I need to do some more work there. And making another tube support isn't possible too, because I ran out of the purple straight connectors!
But now some photos:
Attached File  image.jpeg   120.04KB   0 downloads
The arm in front of the supports

Attached File  image.jpeg   127.72KB   0 downloads
And the gondola

#7 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

try attaching 2 pieces of string the opposite way it falls. to make it like a pyramid kinda.

#8 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

If you have enough pieces then you should try to support it as much as possible you should do what k'nex.koasters said and if you have enough pieces also connect the outer supports to each other halfway down so they don't bend as much.

Also if the arm bends to much try making the whole thing a lot smaller.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 30 January 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#9 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:41 AM

I now have extended the back supports, to attach a string, but then I saw that I could also place a box on it and it doesn't falls down anymore. So now I could test it, but the arm is bending itself and keeps hitting the supports. So I was thinking about using a long metal rod for the stabilisation, but I'm not sure if it gets too heavy! Or maybe a wooden stick if the metal is too heavy? What do you think?

#10 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Due the Arm was bending too much I made a new arm, but not in tube style, more like Intamin's 3 Spine track, but just not as strong. It now is strong enough to hold the gondolas without bending. If I have enough time due School, I will put the arm on the supports tomorrow. Latest on the weekend I have time to continue building it.
Here a few photos:
Attached File  image.jpeg   126.33KB   0 downloads
The new arm compared to the old tube arm

Attached File  image.jpeg   103.62KB   0 downloads
Arm finished

Attached File  image.jpeg   135.67KB   0 downloads
And one of the gondolas

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 09 February 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#11 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

I've now attached the arm to the supports. The problems of the wacky arm are now solved, but not the one with hitting the supports while spinning. So I'm thinking of making a 3rd support or if I'll turn the axis 90 degrees, so that it goes between the two main supports.
What do you think?
A few photos:
Attached File  image.jpeg   125.51KB   0 downloads
The whole ride

Attached File  image.jpeg   107.48KB   0 downloads
view from the top of the gondola

Attached File  image.jpeg   130.08KB   0 downloads
And the axis

#12 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

I think you should have made the whole thing out of box supports, that way you only need one support coming up from the ground and it will be more accurate, and probably stronger. If you don't want to do that I would recommend making a support that attaches the tube supports to each other halfway down, like an A.

#13 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:25 AM

Well, I actually don't want to build it with box supports, due tube supports are looking way better. And I don't know why it would help to make an attachment between the supports in A style?

#14 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

Well, I actually don't want to build it with box supports, due tube supports are looking way better. And I don't know why it would help to make an attachment between the supports in A style?

It just makes the supports bend less since micro tube supports start to bend if they are too long. If it works the way it is that's fine though.

#15 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

^I don't think that would help much.
I've now completely redone the axis, so that the arm now goes between the two supports. It works now, but as alwys, there are still some problems! :/
The Supports with the axis and the base are making a rectangle, which is very wobbly! While it's running, it stays kinda stabile, but while it is a- or decelerating I need to hold it, otherwise the supports would twist them up! So when I'm holding it, it works fine and while it's running in a constant speed, I don't need to hold it.
Do you have any further tipps or do you think it's fine now?
Some Pics:

Attached File  image.jpeg   102.4KB   0 downloads
The redone axis

Attached File  image.jpeg   114.33KB   0 downloads
The undone station.

Attached File  image.jpeg   120.72KB   0 downloads
And the whole ride

Attached File  image.jpeg   111.48KB   0 downloads

#16 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

For this it might be good to have a triangle on either side ( like on your last version except on both sides). Unless it's shaking side to side, I cant think of an easy way to fix that.

#17 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

For this it might be good to have a triangle on either side ( like on your last version except on both sides). Unless it's shaking side to side, I cant think of an easy way to fix that.

Then I'm probably going to use the box supports, due I don't have enough pieces for two more tubes! That should work as well, won't it?

#18 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

Then I'm probably going to use the box supports, due I don't have enough pieces for two more tubes! That should work as well, won't it?

Well I think that red rod box supports would work better, you could possibly even be able to do it with just one (as long as it's not too tall). If you do go with one support, you should make sure that the base is very strong, maybe put books on it to weigh it down.

#19 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Well I think that red rod box supports would work better, you could possibly even be able to do it with just one (as long as it's not too tall). If you do go with one support, you should make sure that the base is very strong, maybe put books on it to weigh it down.

Yeah, I'm looking for it as soon as I have time (school)

#20 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

The ride is now finished. As I said, I replaced it with box supports and I only needed one, so it's still the same way of supporting as I wanted it to be, but just with box supports instead of tubes. It works well without hitting the structure. I also made a small loading platform. But till the Video is shot, edited and uploaded, it may tke a few weeks, due I'm at my father's home the whole weekend...
But now some photos:

Attached File  image.jpeg   108.27KB   0 downloads
How it looks now

Attached File  image.jpeg   116.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   118.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   145.95KB   0 downloads
Do you like it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turbulence, funfair, thrillride, booster, kmg, speed