wow big kool

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:47 PM

heyo all! I was inspired by the one and only lambchopz to make a intamin giga! (and with the help of Instagram). so far it's around 5 feet but I haven't measured it yet. I just finished leveling out the two main supports, starting the pull out, and well, that's about it. this is just a rough start! nothing is final!
Attached File  image.jpeg   108.83KB   2 downloads
the only decent picture I took.
Attached File  image.jpeg   114.36KB   0 downloads
note: this was taken before I leveled things out.
please comment!

Edited by dylpickled, 23 May 2016 - 06:59 AM.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#2 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

That is one funky looking start. It's absolutely beautiful. Can you give an in close picture of your yellow supports? They seem new to me and I'm trying to figure out what you did. It's a really great start you have!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#3 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

I really like how this looks right now. Don't let people being too critical discourage you, that happens sometimes in these construction threads. 

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#4 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

decided to got after more of an i305 drop. let me know what you think and be harsh.

Attached Files

#5 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

I, personally, liked the other one better, but this one is just as good. Continue through the layout and surprise me!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

I thought the first one looked a lot like I305, but I'll wait until I see the new drop to judge. Are those wheels underneath the track? Are you making a cable lift?? If so, I'm excited  :rfro:

#7 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

I, personally, liked the other one better, but this one is just as good. Continue through the layout and surprise me!!

The two main reasons I changed it was because one, I didn't think it looked right, and two, it couldn't support itself. It was starting to bend in the middle.

I thought the first one looked a lot like I305, but I'll wait until I see the new drop to judge. Are those wheels underneath the track? Are you making a cable lift?? If so, I'm excited :rfro:

maybe ;)

I really like how this looks right now. Don't let people being too critical discourage you, that happens sometimes in these construction threads.

I won't let that happen. And after all, knex is about having fun!

That is one funky looking start. It's absolutely beautiful. Can you give an in close picture of your yellow supports? They seem new to me and I'm trying to figure out what you did. It's a really great start you have!

Thanks a lot! And sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey again! So I sketched up an idea (does that make sense?) in science today. It's for the cable lift, since I couldn't get a good view from the photos lambchopz took. Also, I'll be using a custom motor I made last year.

Attached File  image.jpeg   181.28KB   0 downloadsThe future cable car and and cable guide.
Attached File  image.jpeg   199.47KB   0 downloadsMy tears and the gears all in one picture.
Attached File  image.jpeg   273.4KB   0 downloadsA better picture. you can also see the controls for the motor.
Attached File  image.jpeg   157.83KB   0 downloadsAn overview.
Attached File  image.jpeg   164.64KB   0 downloadsAnd for Mister Piglette :).

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and comment!!

Edited by knex.koasters, 22 April 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#8 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Those are really interesting tube supports... I really want to try building with them but I'm not sure when I would need it. As for the lift hill, I can't see any flaws. EDIT: sorry I didn't mean for the picture to be a download, I thought it would just show up. Although if you do want to download it, it's a picture of I305's drop.

Attached Files

Edited by KirbyCoast, 22 April 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#9 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

Those are really interesting tube supports... I really want to try building with them but I'm not sure when I would need it. As for the lift hill, I can't see any flaws. EDIT: sorry I didn't mean for the picture to be a download, I thought it would just show up. Although if you do want to download it, it's a picture of I305's drop.

Thanks! They aren't that sturdy yet, so I need to fix that, obviously. And more than half of the credit goes to chopz.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, nobody ever said using grey rods was going to be easy! Any tips on using them as flexi rods would be very appreciated :)! Here are some pictures. I also need to redesign the cable lift mechanism. (Fun!)

Attached Files

Edited by knex.koasters, 26 April 2016 - 09:13 PM.

#10 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:50 AM

I like it! The only problem I can see is that it l looks a little bit too steep( steeper than i305). But I actually think this is better.

#11 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

This looks so beautiful and clean. I guess when using the greys on anything complex, my main issues were with the transitions between elements. Layering them well at these points I found to be pretty crucial. If you should need to change to green flexies then be aware of the sharp spots that can appear but I've seen plenty of evidence from this alone that you'll be able to figure it out how to solve them. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#12 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

This looks really, really great. I didn't realize that this build was so big until I saw the third picture. I think what you have now is great and I'll be looking forward to the next element for sure. Please continue (:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

This is stunning! I like that it's steeper than I305, who cares if it's not 100% realistic?

I love using gray rods, I find it a lot easier to shape large elements smoothly. So, 2 things: layer your rods carefully, and don't make any curves too sharp.
If you layer your rods well, there should never be more than 1 gray rod that starts/stops in the same spot on the track. You can see that happening in the second photo, and it's going to create some sharp spots.
Secondly, even if your rods are layered properly, you can't make the curves too sharp. Else you'll end up with wavy track like this:
Attached File  25 (1).JPG   146.41KB   0 downloads
And that will demolish your speed. When that happens, the only thing you can do is switch back to flexi-rods. But you probably won't run into that issue since this is a fairly large build.

#14 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

This looks great. It may be a bit steep compared to I305 but that doesn't matter cause it's still smooth and well shaped. Looking forward to what you've got planned next. 

#15 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

This is looking really awesome. Keep it up!

#16 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

This is looking really awesome. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot!

This looks great. It may be a bit steep compared to I305 but that doesn't matter cause it's still smooth and well shaped. Looking forward to what you've got planned next.

I was going for that. And thanks!

This is stunning! I like that it's steeper than I305, who cares if it's not 100% realistic? I love using gray rods, I find it a lot easier to shape large elements smoothly. So, 2 things: layer your rods carefully, and don't make any curves too sharp.If you layer your rods well, there should never be more than 1 gray rod that starts/stops in the same spot on the track. You can see that happening in the second photo, and it's going to create some sharp spots.Secondly, even if your rods are layered properly, you can't make the curves too sharp. Else you'll end up with wavy track like this:attachicon.gif25 (1).JPGAnd that will demolish your speed. When that happens, the only thing you can do is switch back to flexi-rods. But you probably won't run into that issue since this is a fairly large build.

Haha thank you! I'll be switching between greys and flexis. This ride will also have to stay in my room.

This looks really, really great. I didn't realize that this build was so big until I saw the third picture. I think what you have now is great and I'll be looking forward to the next element for sure. Please continue (:

Thanks Piglette! It's about 5' with the cars!

This looks so beautiful and clean. I guess when using the greys on anything complex, my main issues were with the transitions between elements. Layering them well at these points I found to be pretty crucial. If you should need to change to green flexies then be aware of the sharp spots that can appear but I've seen plenty of evidence from this alone that you'll be able to figure it out how to solve them. :D

Thank you CW5X! It'll be tricky with the space, but that'll make for some interesting elements :D!

I like it! The only problem I can see is that it l looks a little bit too steep( steeper than i305). But I actually think this is better.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------

Woah! 6 comments! Thanks you guys! Over the weekend I cleaned my room (kinda) and finished the drop and started the next element. Hopefully I'll get a nxt sometime so I can automate somethings. I really like the way the pullout turned out. Also, there isn't much shaking. Anyways, here are some pictures! :D

Attached Files

Edited by knex.koasters, 01 May 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#17 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:08 AM

This is incredible. You nailed all the smoothing techniques and come out with an awesome shape. I wish all of my rides were that smooth.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#18 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

This looks really, really cool and good to me! Im looking forward for more updates!

Posted Image

#19 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

Oh snap, that pullout is really well supported.

#20 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:34 AM

This looks promising, shaping is spot on so far and it looks like it won't wobble at all ;). I'm very curious about how you're cable lift is going to work exactly, make sure to show us the details on that :)!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wow, big, kool