(The Eminent Triton) My First Custom K'NEX Coaster!

first custom coaster first knex first knex coaster

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

How's it goin' guys. I've been a member here for a while but have been inactive for pretty much 7 years. Now that I finally acquired enough pieces... I am starting my first project!

This is currently unnamed since I just began construction. I had some ideas though...

Some elements to add that I had in mind...

An Immelmann, A corkscrew, perhaps a hill and a turn or two and call it my first coaster. Does that seem good enough? Haha, I don't want to start extremely tough but I want a nice looking coaster by the end of it. Any constructive feedback is welcomed! You won't hurt my feelings this is legit my first ever custom SS coaster from scratch.

Here are some images for you guys to see where I'm headed.

Day 1: (Update #1)

Attached File  image.jpg   142.71KB   3 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   143.93KB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   152.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   160.08KB   1 downloads

I'm not digging this part of the drop, it looks smooth and it certainly does the job, it is pretty sturdy too but I'm not sure if a.) It evens looks visually appealing and b.) If I'm using too many pieces than I need to? This drop is my own... Like vision haha, i had no references and I just went with gut feeling.

Attached File  image.jpg   172.79KB   2 downloads

What do you guys think?! Let me know what I can improve on, if I should change anything, or even some suggestions / ideas for elements and such to add.

Thanks for checking it out!

P.S. - Dragon Ball Z all day haha

Edited by rct3fan00, 25 April 2016 - 12:49 AM.

aodlpu7b6bd.png

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."

#2 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

This coaster looks so great! I cant believe this is your first custom coaster. I love everything about it the drop, supports, the lift; everything! It is all so fantastic! I legitimately don't have anything bad to say about this so far! If you Keep building like this, you'll have an amazing first coaster! (thumbsup)

#3 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:56 PM

Congrats on starting your first roller coaster! Remember to have fun with it! The only way to learn is just by doing it.

#4 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

I'm not digging this part of the drop, it looks smooth and it certainly does the job, it is pretty sturdy too but I'm not sure if a.) It evens looks visually appealing and b.) If I'm using too many pieces than I need to? This drop is my own... Like vision haha, i had no references and I just went with gut feeling.

That's how you end up creating your own unique building style. Don't be afraid to try different things out. I tend to be minimalistic when it comes to supports, because I like how it looks. I'd say you could take out some of those supports and you'd be fine. Other people seem to like using more supports though, so it's up to you.

That being said, it's pretty clear that you've looked at builds on SSC before, because your box supports look very familiar. And I find it hard to judge the shaping of an element before putting the tubing on, so you might want to do that first.

#5 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Day 1: Update # 2

Thanks for all of the input guys! I understand, I'm thinking of improvements already.

I created my first element! A corkscrew... I think I am going to make the supports more boxed and stronger. It seems rather thin now. Have a look!

Attached File  image.jpg   148.79KB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   144.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   185.49KB   0 downloads

I'm thinking of a Zero-G Roll as my next element, a Cobra Roll would be nice but may be too many pieces.

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#6 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:23 PM

I think if you're going to make a zero G roll that should be before the corkscrew. Everything else looks really good!

#7 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

I think if you're going to make a zero G roll that should be before the corkscrew. Everything else looks really good!

Yeah! I had that in mind haha, I'm just making these elements first. It's cool I've never seen these in person and it feels awesome to make it haha.

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#8 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

It looks very nice for your first cork! I love how you aren't using ladders at all. I would also recommend to add a flexi rod where the two pieces of track meet. It'll help smooth out the sharp spots. And are you using track from the original? I've wanted to try that but It feels too thin.

Edited by knex.koasters, 22 April 2016 - 10:56 PM.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#9 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:55 PM

It looks very nice for your first cork! I love how you aren't using ladders at all. I would also recommend to add a flexi rod where the two pieces of track meet. It'll help smooth out the sharp spots. And are you using track from the original? I've wanted to try that but It feels too thin.

What if I told you... I'm not exactly sure what ladders are xD in terms of K'NEX atleast lol.

And where exactly do you mean for the flexi rod where the track meets? I'm afraid I don't know or see where you mean ahaha...

And again I'm sorry what do you mean by track from the original? The original what?

Thanks for the reply and help by the way! :)

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#10 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:27 AM

Okay Update #3!

I should really get to bed... It's almost 3:30 am but I'm going nuts on K'NEX. I made a Zero-G Roll... Here it is! I should smooth it out a bit more but because of this element I am now running short on green cross ties. Hopefully my yellow Rippin' Rocket ones should be enough to finish the track.

Attached File  image.jpg   122.26KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   126.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   133.08KB   0 downloads

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#11 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

I'd recognize those elements anywhere! (well, the style I know whose tuts you used) I would strongly recommend building everything in order. It helps realize how much speed you have. Everything looks good though!

#12 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

Day 2: Update #4!!

This thing is actually coming along!!! I'm so excited.

I adjust the drop so that it reaches the floor, it isn't quite the smoothest when it curves down but I'll take it for now. I don't want to risk using / adding / removing pieces this far in. It's my first coaster ;)

Attached File  image.jpg   148.32KB   0 downloads

This is the curve before the zero-g roll and corkscrew elements that I made earlier. My only concern is that I'm not sure if it'll maintain enough speed for the zero g roll and corkscrew. Another down side is that I'm starting to get pretty low on pieces especially the small white rods you see.

Attached File  image.jpg   188.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   187.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   181.79KB   0 downloads

I know it looks funky in some areas but I'm trying my best with minimal pieces. It'll look better soon enough.

After the curve all I have to do is add a drop that goes into the two upcoming elements and then another turn at the end back into the lift.

I don't think I have the pieces to make a cool station. Honestly I'm hoping I can finish out this ride.

Tell me what you think! Thanks!

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#13 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

Another update! (Is it okay to double post on your own thread here?)

Finished drop and connected the corkscrew! I decided the corkscrew should come first because it seems like it needs more momentum than the zero g roll. The zero g roll looks smooth and not as intense to make it over it seems but I may need to reverse the order if it doesn't work.

Also I should lube my cars right? That'll max out the chances of it continuing through the entire track right? Haha

Attached File  image.jpg   141.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   182.67KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   178.78KB   0 downloads

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#14 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

Lubing does nothing if you dont weight them 2 AA batteries is about enough weight.

Some sharp spots here and there but not half bad for your first coaster.

#15 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

A black ladder connector for the track and a 3rd flexi added for support. Also I was talking about track for the original roller coaster set.

Attached Files

#16 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

Lubing does nothing if you dont weight them 2 AA batteries is about enough weight.

Some sharp spots here and there but not half bad for your first coaster.

Where would the AA batteries go exactly? I've never heard of that haha, then again, first coaster :P

A black ladder connector for the track and a 3rd flexi added for support. Also I was talking about track for the original roller coaster set.

Oh oh! Okay I see what you mean now.

Update again by the way!!

Added some middle flexi rods on the cross ties and made the corkscrew smoother and sturdier overall.

Attached File  image.jpg   178.56KB   0 downloads

Also connected the zero g roll too! I want to add flexi rods but I feel like it would change the shape too much and I don't want to ruin it.

Attached File  image.jpg   165.14KB   0 downloads

Lastly... How on earth do I get this back to the station/lift hill with this as my option?

Attached File  image.jpg   146.02KB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   139.26KB   0 downloads

That last part is what I'd really like to know too.

Thanks guys for the input!

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#17 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

You can just tape them to where the people would sit. for then end you can just do a turn. dont make it to tight though or the cars will hit the cross ties.

Edited by Cartracer55D, 23 April 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#18 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

A banked upward turn might do it. Will you have enough speed to get through the elements? And the aa batteries go in the car seats. They fit nicely with a piece of tape.

Edited by knex.koasters, 23 April 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#19 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

You can just tape them to where the people would sit. for then end you can just do a turn. dont make it to tight though or the cars will hit the cross ties.

Oh alright. I feel like it's tough to make that turn.

A banked upward turn might do it. Will you have enough speed to get through the elements? And the aa batteries go in the car seats. They fit nicely with a piece of tape.

Thanks! And I tested it so far with one car. I need to dust off the cars, lube, and then weight them as well. I'm hoping so. The front car itself makes it to where you see this Rippin' Rocket car in this picture (for reference) I'm sure the rest of the weight would help it through the elements. It has tubing now so it's almost complete... I just gotta tune up my cars.

Attached File  image.jpg   191.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   153.97KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   168.5KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   174.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   163.36KB   0 downloads

I know I should turn at the end but I'm not sure how to work with it without making it look weird.

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#20 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

I had no idea you were using the RR car. its hard to weight an RR car.