custom launch overbank airtime jaykethekid

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

Man, it has been absolutely ages since i have touched knex. I was just sitting outside thinking of this idea for a launched coaster, then i really started wanting to mess with my knex. I dug all of it out from storage and started building. I was very afraid i was going to lose all of my building skills since i hadn't done anything for a long while. I guess its like riding a bike, because i am very happy with how this ride is turning out. I am doing this funky custom launched coaster. It doesn't have any real sources of inspiration or ride manufacturers, which is leaving me to be as creative as possible. In a way, it will be a Powder Keg with inversions and low to the ground turns. The launch is a simple rubber band slingshot, because that's really all i know how to do :D Anyways, enough with the rambling. Here are some photos of the ride.

Attached File  024.JPG   90.55KB   1 downloads

Attached File  030.JPG   90.05KB   2 downloads

Attached File  019.JPG   66.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  033.JPG   201.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  017.JPG   58.32KB   0 downloads

*Quick note, I will be adding more bracing, and spine work to the ride as i go, so if i decide i need to change something big, i won't have a whole mess of stuff to redo. So, in the next update, this area will more than likely be finalized.*

Also, i am known to cancel my rides a lot, i am making this a smaller project so it is easier for me to finish. I also have lots of time on my hands to work, so progress will be a lot faster than my other projects. Any feedback would be welcome, as i want this ride to be my best! Thanks!

Edited by JayketheKid, 24 June 2016 - 07:42 PM.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

Good heartlining for a start. It's been a while since I've seen one of these incline launches built if I rightly remember so this will be a nice addition to the coasters already in construction.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

Oh hey, you're back! This looks like a great start and should be pretty unique.
^ I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen a launched coaster in a while either.

#4 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

Glad to have you building again! Keep up the good work and inspiration!

#5 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

This is a good start to the ride. It looks like it doesn't kill much speed right off the bat, too. :) 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#6 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

Awww man! I love inclined launched coasters! I am so excited to see such a fantastic builder take on one of these. This is going to be good! (thumbsup)

Edited by WSWAoasters, 17 June 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#7 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

Woah I'm really impressed by it so far, I can't wait to see what's next. :)

Signature not available 

#8 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

Good heartlining for a start. It's been a while since I've seen one of these incline launches built if I rightly remember so this will be a nice addition to the coasters already in construction.

Thanks! Heartlining is my specialty! I cant really think of any coasters that have a launch like this, but hopefully it will bring them back into construction.

Oh hey, you're back! This looks like a great start and should be pretty unique.
^ I was thinking the same thing, I haven't seen a launched coaster in a while either.

Thank you, i am very glad to be back. I am trying really hard to do unique stuff with this build!

Glad to have you building again! Keep up the good work and inspiration!

Thank you!

This is a good start to the ride. It looks like it doesn't kill much speed right off the bat, too. :)

It gets a lot of speed with my launch design, so loss of speed shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

Awww man! I love inclined launched coasters! I am so excited to see such a fantastic builder take on one of these. This is going to be good! (thumbsup)

Thank you, your support means a lot! I am trying to build this the best i can!

Woah I'm really impressed by it so far, I can't wait to see what's next. :)

Thank you! I have neat plans for this ride, so keep checking progress!

I am back with the next update for my coaster. This one is a pretty simple update. I haven't got a chance to build, or even update this thread since i have been out of town. This element has been built for a week now, and i finally got time to get pictures of it and upload them. I have built the pullout of the first turn, and created a high speed ejector airtime hill. It takes this hill with a ton of speed, so it actually lifts the base off the ground when i launch it at full speed. Hopefully as i build, the weight of the next element will hold it down. This hill is not at all finalized, i just wanted to get some feedback on the shaping and stuff. Your opinion is greatly appreciated! Here are some photos.

IMG_0746_zpsfiz9mvy4.jpg

*I do see that sharp spot right at the second tube support, will work on that*

IMG_0745_zpsd4j7qm7f.jpg

IMG_0752_zps309owaiz.jpg

IMG_0744_zpsdgebojwi.jpg

The reason i haven't built the other half of the airtime hill is because i am planning on the pullout leading into a reverse Valravn style zero g roll, but i have no good idea on how to do that. I have lots of experimenting to do! Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

#9 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

It takes this hill with a ton of speed, so it actually lifts the base off the ground when i launch it at full speed. 

Haha, I could imagine. :P Wouldn't the reverse Valvran style zero g roll just be 0 g roll that curves downwards at the pullout? 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#10 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

It looks like the end of Maverick (in a very good way)! You must be launching it really, really fast to lift that hill off the ground...at least your base looks really strong, that should keep everything from moving once it's all built.

#11 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:48 AM

I agree it does look very Maverick-like. You might want to put a little weight on the base if it's lifting off even if the next part holds it down. It'll still be losing energy through a small amount of flex, not that you sound like you need any more of it though ;). The shaping, aside from what you've mentioned, is fine as is I think.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#12 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

Just wanted to update you guys a little on whats going on with my project. I have had a lot of unexpected things happen these past few weeks, which hasnt gave me any time to build. I will be going out of town for a week starting on the 16th, and next week, i have to prepare for that trip. So, i wont be able to build for a while, but when i get back, things will be updated a lot quicker!

#13 REXENK

REXENK

Learner of the tubes

• 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

We will be waiting

Edit:
Am I going to get a warning point for the four word post??

Edited by REXENK, 08 July 2016 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks ~steelspectrum~!

#14 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

This looks very nice indeed! Shaping is perfect and heart-lining is on point!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, launch, overbank, airtime, jaykethekid