Hyper Coaster

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

Before I say anything, I would like everyone to know that I am not copying Idek2003's, launched coaster. I have been planning on making a launched coaster since last winter. Now that that is out of the way, this is my possible new launched coaster. The reason I keep saying possible it because I don't really know if I will end up finishing this coaster. However, I do plan to work very hard on this coaster, despite the fact that I have a bad feeling about it.

Anyways, I am not exactly sure what my plan for this coaster is, I'm pretty much just winging it for the most part. I have the launch track, a top hat, and a banked hill so far. I don't plan on having any inversions, so that narrows it down a bit, but I am still really struggling with the layout design. Well, there is clearly too much work that has to be done before I build anything else. Here are some pictures of the ride:

DSCN1207_zpsu3nay9pp.jpg

DSCN1209_zpsglnkttrs.jpg

DSCN1216_zpsebksjv5h.jpg

DSCN1220_zpsgoeyx7ik.jpg

DSCN1212_zpsprc2drvt.jpg

DSCN1213_zpsda8dk24d.jpg

DSCN1223_zpsxjysa9zc.jpg

DSCN1220_zpsgoeyx7ik.jpg

Warning to all headphone users, this video is super loud for some reason.

That's all I have for this first update. If anybody has any recommendations, they are very greatly appreciated!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 24 July 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

I'd probably have a look at the tightness of the corners and transitions. You'll be losing a lot of speed right off the bat with that small turn and small pullin to the top hat and the same on the way out. I think the idea is solid but it could just do with a bit of refinement. Unless of course you don't mind about a bit of speed loss. And I think you probably know about the shaking issue to solve ;).

Edited by CW5X, 23 June 2016 - 05:09 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

Ya CW5X is right I do see a lot of shaking on the first turn, I would add some diagonal supports to reinforce the weight of the train coming down. Maybe you could raise that over bank to get more speed out of the launch and have a longer layout, depending on your piece count that is. Good luck and what kind of launch are you using btw?

#4 Inswerver

Inswerver

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

This looks really cool! But I do agree with the others, lots of shaking can kill the coaster.

Keep it up!

I shall deal with this Jedi slime, Myself!

#5 Idek2003

Idek2003

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:41 PM

What kind of Launch are you using?

#6 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

I'd probably have a look at the tightness of the corners and transitions. You'll be losing a lot of speed right off the bat with that small turn and small pullin to the top hat and the same on the way out. I think the idea is solid but it could just do with a bit of refinement. Unless of course you don't mind about a bit of speed loss. And I think you probably know about the shaking issue to solve ;).

I plan to go back over everything as soon as I get the launch working. And yes, I do know that the hideous supports after the top hat need to be fixed, they were just temporary so that I could see what everything would look like.

Ya CW5X is right I do see a lot of shaking on the first turn, I would add some diagonal supports to reinforce the weight of the train coming down. Maybe you could raise that over bank to get more speed out of the launch and have a longer layout, depending on your piece count that is. Good luck and what kind of launch are you using btw?

I will go back over the old supports, don't you worry. I agree, raising the overbank is a fantastic idea! I was hoping to use an automated launch similar to the one Jumpgee used on Poison Ivy; however, I am having trouble with it.

This looks really cool! But I do agree with the others, lots of shaking can kill the coaster.

Keep it up!

Thanks! 

What kind of Launch are you using?

I will show you right now, good sir!

Like I said up there, I am really having some trouble getting this launch to work. I spent about 2 1/2 - 3 hours last night just trying to get the guid rails to fit properly. In the end I gave up and decided to try a Jesper launch, however, that launch at its max only got the cars halfway up the hill. The new one (when it worked properly one time) made it a little more than 3/4 of the way. So I am going to use this one, however, I can't get the catch to stay in between the guid rails. I would looove some recommendations on how I can fix this.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 24 June 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#7 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

I am no good at automated or even semi automated launches, so i am no help to you. If all else fails, do a rubber band slingshot. Those never fail. Another thing that could be killing you speed is the drop and turn right after the launch. If you would go straight into the top hat, that would give you a lot more speed. I do like what you are trying to do with this build, i'll be watching this thread a lot!

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#8 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. It has nothing to do with the automation at all. Those grey half moons you have connected to the wheel are getting hit by the train. This results in a massive amount of speed loss. As for the tight tubing, maybe replace it with rods if you can? Definitely fix the half moon problem first, though. That's where 95% of your speed is being taken away. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#9 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

JayketheKid, on 24 Jun 2016 - 8:47 PM, said:

I am no good at automated or even semi automated launches, so i am no help to you. If all else fails, do a rubber band slingshot. Those never fail. Another thing that could be killing you speed is the drop and turn right after the launch. If you would go straight into the top hat, that would give you a lot more speed. I do like what you are trying to do with this build, i'll be watching this thread a lot!

I am awful at making things automated, but I felt like I hadn't improved in any way in a lon time, so I decided to try something new and maybe become a bit of a better builder in doing that. Anyways, I will use a slingshot launch for sure if this doesn't work, but I am going to try very hard to get it to work.

SCM, on 24 Jun 2016 - 9:51 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. It has nothing to do with the automation at all. Those grey half moons you have connected to the wheel are getting hit by the train. This results in a massive amount of speed loss. As for the tight tubing, maybe replace it with rods if you can? Definitely fix the half moon problem first, though. That's where 95% of your speed is being taken away. 

Oh man! I knew they were slowing it down, but I thought that it was only a small part of the problem and that it wouldn't matter in the end; I guess I was way off. I fixed the half moon and removed 1 car from the train so that I can pull the band farther back, and it made it up and over the top hat with no problem! Thank you soooo much for your help!

Well, as you can see in the two previous responses, I was able to get the launch working. I haven't started the automation yet, but I getting closer to starting it! I probably shouldn't have, but I added a little more to the overbank. The reason I shouldn't have is because I still haven't fixed those wimpy ass supports. That’ll be done probably by tonight, however, I don't plan on making another update until I have the launch working a little better. Here are a few pictures

DSCN1244_zpscphcfigi.jpg

Sorry if these are blurry.

DSCN1243_zpshosrmk40.jpg

DSCN1240_zpsp7mzmfjy.jpg

DSCN1241_zpspbzdiucd.jpg

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I'll probably have another update within a few days. Feel free to comment!

#10 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

You're welcome, anytime. :) Your overall shaping is good, but the pullout of the hill is really bumpy, but I'm sure you'll take care of it. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#11 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:42 AM

You'll have a ton of speed once those supports are completed. That looked like it flew over that course. Just work on that exit of the hill a bit more and you'll be on your way.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#12 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

Looks much better now and cool launch!! Just add some diagonal supports to the over bank to reduce the shaking and save some speed! It'll look better too.

#13 Idek2003

Idek2003

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

Are you still having trouble with the catch car staying in between the rails?

#14 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

You're welcome, anytime. :) Your overall shaping is good, but the pullout of the hill is really bumpy, but I'm sure you'll take care of it. 

Thanks! I did in fact fix the bumps (for the most part anyways).

You'll have a ton of speed once those supports are completed. That looked like it flew over that course. Just work on that exit of the hill a bit more and you'll be on your way.

I havn't done too much with the exit, I have mainly been working on the supports for the overbank, which are turning out quite nicely I might add! 

Looks much better now and cool launch!! Just add some diagonal supports to the over bank to reduce the shaking and save some speed! It'll look better too.

Thanks! I actually pulled the launch back myself. I have the feeling it will be a while before I finally get the automatic launch to work. 

Are you still having trouble with the catch car staying in between the rails?

Yes, I am having many issues with the launch. I'll get a little more into that when I start the update in a second.

So, like I said up there, I am having problems with the launch. Not just the guiderail issues, although I am still struggling with those. Anyways, I can't get enough speed from the launch because of the friction caused by the axel that the string gets wrapped around. So I am thinking of using surgical tubing. I know that I said I was going to try that once upon a time and never did, but I really plan to do it this time assuming someone who has used it knows that is will get the job done. Anyone with experience using surgical tubing, advice is very appreciated. But for now, here are some pictures of what I have done since the last update

DSCN1265_zpsd2khxrun.jpg

sorry for the blurry pictures

DSCN1271_zpsackuynvl.jpg

DSCN1274_zpswad7fwqf.jpg

DSCN1266_zpscsm6lcax.jpg

DSCN1268_zpsqobdqsxc.jpg

DSCN1270_zps4nib81yi.jpg

DSCN1267_zpsagls0zwq.jpg

And a test video:

Feel free to comment!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 26 June 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#15 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

The supports are coming along nicely indeed. The thing I would do to improve them is just build up the base around them and make sure they're solidly connected so they can't move as much. Definitely getting there though.

Edited by CW5X, 27 June 2016 - 04:24 AM.

Tyndrum

#16 Idek2003

Idek2003

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

If you're unsure if 'surgical tubing' is going to give you enough power, do not worry, it will be plenty. Also, a great way to improve your current launch would be to use fishing line instead of string, and tie that fishing line to a wheel. If you don't understand my summary of what I'm trying to say, I can write you a longer one.

#17 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

The supports are coming along nicely indeed. The thing I would do to improve them is just build up the base around them and make sure they're solidly connected so they can't move as much. Definitely getting there though.

thanks! I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "build up the base around them." Do you just mean the connections between the base and the supports? Or do you actually mean bring the base up?

If you're unsure if 'surgical tubing' is going to give you enough power, do not worry, it will be plenty. Also, a great way to improve your current launch would be to use fishing line instead of string, and tie that fishing line to a wheel. If you don't understand my summary of what I'm trying to say, I can write you a longer one.

thank you so much! I think that I understand. Thanks again!

#18 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:36 AM

Looks great I just found some thin surgical tubing that could stretch easily to go the distance I wanted my launch to be at and make it fit in the cable car holder I had on hot rod! You can ask Idek2003 how he's building the launch for his coaster if you need help or advice.

Edited by IOAgeek, 02 July 2016 - 12:37 AM.

#19 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

Looks great I just found some thin surgical tubing that could stretch easily to go the distance I wanted my launch to be at and make it fit in the cable car holder I had on hot rod! You can ask Idek2003 how he's building the launch for his coaster if you need help or advice.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep my eye out for some nice surgical tuning then. I'll keep that in mind!

So this is just a small update I meant to do yesterday when I was responding to the other comments but I forgot to do it. So here it is, there aren't any pictures or anything, I just needed to ask for everyone's opinions. How do you feel about the top hat? Because I really feel like it isn't too fitting. I have been thinking about taking it down because it would look better (in my opinion) and save me some pieces. I personally am leaning towards getting rid of it, but I'm not exactly sure. I would really, really appreciate your feedback!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 02 July 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#20 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

It depends on what your going to replace it with. I think if you were to fix the top hat a little bit it would look a lot better and more fitting.