Neutron Star (6/3/7102) Final Video

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

It's been awhile since I've done a big coaster, and I'm happy to be back in the zone again. May I introduce to you.... 

neutron star smaller

"But SCM, what exactly is a neutron star?" Well, random version of myself, a neutron star is a celestial object that is very small but makes up for it with density. A single teaspoon would weigh about 10 million tons. So, yes, I am making something that will be relatively small but dense. Right now I have the lift and drop made. Off camera, I am working on the station. I won't be showing that until I get it completely done and operational. I have some vague plans for the layout. Okay, here are the pictures: 

IMG 0376

Crest

IMG 0380

Funky Drop 

IMG 0381

Pullout 

IMG 0382
A more flattering overview. As always, have a good day! :)

Edited by SCM, 03 June 2017 - 11:38 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#2 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Now this is going to be interesting:D
Only complaint is the transition between theturning and straight drop - there is somewhat of a bump but I'm not sure if that is intended?

#3 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hooray for massive coasters. I'll be interested to see what you can do with this height but so confined. I'll be disappointed if it's not extra crazy but I'm sure it will be.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#4 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Like the idea. Looking good so far. I like the uniqueness to the drop.

#5 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

Looks awesome so far, but could you move the coaster to another room so you can make the layout longer and have bigger turns and hills??

Edited by IOAgeek, 03 August 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#6 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

Now this is going to be interesting:D
Only complaint is the transition between theturning and straight drop - there is somewhat of a bump but I'm not sure if that is intended?

Thanks. I'll get to that bump eventually if I haven't already. 

Hooray for massive coasters. I'll be interested to see what you can do with this height but so confined. I'll be disappointed if it's not extra crazy but I'm sure it will be.

Thanks. lol yeah. It'll be cool to see what I can do with this unlikely scenario. You won't be disappointed. ;)

Like the idea. Looking good so far. I like the uniqueness to the drop.

Thanks, King. :)

Looks awesome so far, but could you move the coaster to another room so you can make the layout longer and have bigger turns and hills??

Thanks. I don't have another room to move it to. The layout will be just as long. 

This is an update (what? update? Man this is stupid, I came here for free ice cream!) and I've made half of an element. Think of it as a steep-as-hell Norwegian loop. I've still got some spots to work out, but here ya go: 

IMG 0384
IMG 0385
IMG 0386
And a test video. 
I'm gonna go to bed, so have a good night. Edit: btw, to anyone who is wondering: the lift hill is at 15 granites. The inversion is at ~ 13 granites. 

Edited by SCM, 06 August 2016 - 08:47 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

Whaaaaat is that hand!?! Couple of minor bumps here and there but setting yourself up for a good layout. Good speed retention as well for that element size.

Edited by CW5X, 07 August 2016 - 04:27 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#8 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

This looks pretty sweet so far! I like where this is going!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 07 August 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#9 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:15 AM

Looking pretty good, I really like the ridiculously steep dive loop. Just some small bumps in the transitions in the valley of the first drop and then from vertical exiting the dive loop. 

#10 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Looks good so far, just smooth out those sharp spots in the valley. Are your trains weighted and lubed btw?

#11 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Whaaaaat is that hand!?! Couple of minor bumps here and there but setting yourself up for a good layout. Good speed retention as well for that element size.

This looks pretty sweet so far! I like where this is going!

Looking pretty good, I really like the ridiculously steep dive loop. Just some small bumps in the transitions in the valley of the first drop and then from vertical exiting the dive loop. 

Looks good so far, just smooth out those sharp spots in the valley. Are your trains weighted and lubed btw?

Um... it's my hand. Not a big deal. Usually I wear gloves that make me look human, but those things are really uncomfortable. Anyway, yeah, I'll get to those bumps when the time is right. Also thanks! :) And, yes, IOA, my trains are lubed. And weighted. 

Forum, it's time for a mini update. There is more stuff going on that I'm not going to show you guys yet, but I will show you what I've done in the station area. So, obviously, there's the station. There are gates. I'm not going to try to make them automatic because I'm not smart enough to do that (to be completely honest). They will be manually controlled, though, which will be fine with me. I'll probably be adding entry and exit lines near the end of the build as well as some additional scenery that I might as well make because this is a space-themed coaster. I've also made the final inversion of the ride, which is best described as a 'curved in-line twist zero-g-roll'. I think it looks rather exquisite with the decorative supports. ;) 

IMG 0476

IMG 0478
IMG 0480
IMG 0482
That's all I have! Until next time, have a great day, Forum! 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Very stylish supports and station. I see this will have a mix of huge elements and not-so-huge ones like this twisty thing at the end. Nice :D

Tyndrum

#13 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, CW5X. It sure will. :) 

Forum, I'm back with a HUGE update. Gone is the lift! I replaced it with a launch because, well, I might as well make this a launched coaster. It seems more uh... space-ey. I'm not going to bore you with words, so I'll keep it simple: added a catwalk to the pre-launch curve, added a launch, created a "bobby-pin" as the first inversion, and created an almost-inclined dive loop. Plus a test video. 

IMG 0499
IMG 0498
IMG 0497
IMG 0496
IMG 0493
IMG 0492
Have a good day, Forum! I'll see you next time. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#14 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

I like it alot! Especially the bobby-pin. What kind of a launch is it? The last element isn't shaped perfectly as I'm sure you know. Keep up the great work! 

How do you build a coaster?

#15 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

Looks great so far, but could you support the last element more so you don't lose a lot of speed when the train goes upside down for the rest of the layout.

#16 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

I'd seriously recommend making your supports more rigid. All of the deflection is lost kinetic energy, which means lost speed, which means a shorter layout. Building on carpet makes anchoring a challenge, but heavy weights such as books or dumbbells work great for helping to secure your foundation. Look for places where it starts to rise up off the ground and place your weight there.

Adding additional braces will help too. Whether they are just single rods or entire box supports: think triangles. You have to be careful because the connectors that form the 3D joints (snow flakes? I'm talking about the grey and blue ones) will start to pull apart if you place too much tension on them. Just in general, I find its best to place knex in compression loading. Even though buckling starts to become a concern, I find that when your supports are in tension your foundation starts to lift up off the ground and your joints start to pull apart. Tape/Weighting to the floor and glue can help secure things together but that is probably not an option.  

You shaping is just so so. Take it look at how actual immelmann loops are shaped and I think you will see where you went wrong.     

#17 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:44 AM

I'd seriously recommend making your supports more rigid. All of the deflection is lost kinetic energy, which means lost speed, which means a shorter layout. Building on carpet makes anchoring a challenge, but heavy weights such as books or dumbbells work great for helping to secure your foundation. Look for places where it starts to rise up off the ground and place your weight there.

Adding additional braces will help too. Whether they are just single rods or entire box supports: think triangles. You have to be careful because the connectors that form the 3D joints (snow flakes? I'm talking about the grey and blue ones) will start to pull apart if you place too much tension on them. Just in general, I find its best to place knex in compression loading. Even though buckling starts to become a concern, I find that when your supports are in tension your foundation starts to lift up off the ground and your joints start to pull apart. Tape/Weighting to the floor and glue can help secure things together but that is probably not an option.  

You shaping is just so so. Take it look at how actual immelmann loops are shaped and I think you will see where you went wrong.     

These are some great points. Especially on how k'nex support better when under compression. When in tension, the 3D pieces constantly will come apart. I've actually had to scrap builds because of this problem. However, I don't find foundation lifting to be to much of a problem because I normally place weights on top. 

#18 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

I like it alot! Especially the bobby-pin. What kind of a launch is it? The last element isn't shaped perfectly as I'm sure you know. Keep up the great work! 

Thanks. It's a cable launch. Okay, so it's not a cable launch right now, I just need to find a string strong enough. The last element will be shaped again and merged with the second inversion. 

Looks great so far, but could you support the last element more so you don't lose a lot of speed when the train goes upside down for the rest of the layout.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll support it more once I get to it. I took it down to rebuild the second inversion. 

I see your point. To the dive loop, I have added a side support to the main support structure to combat the force of the train. There is now no shaking from what I can tell. Although I haven't yet used books... it's the one recommendation from you that I forgot to do. *shrugs* Ah, well, that'll be for next time. Finally, the dive loop has been completely taken apart and re-assembled so it mimics actual dive loops. I used some reference pictures during the rebuilding process. 

These are some great points. Especially on how k'nex support better when under compression. When in tension, the 3D pieces constantly will come apart. I've actually had to scrap builds because of this problem. However, I don't find foundation lifting to be to much of a problem because I normally place weights on top. 

Yeah, they are some great points. 

Forum, it's been a while, but now, I am back! With the new and improved dive loop. I think I got it to be close enough, with everything lookin' good except for the heartlining. I'm just not that good at it. :P Reminds me of when I was making Toxic's dive loop and was having problems with the heartlining. So, uh, yeah, let me know how I did. I'll add more TTS connections after I know for sure that you guys like it enough... 

IMG 0554
IMG 0555
IMG 0556
IMG 0557

Comment... if you want. cookies

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#19 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

Cookies?

I really like this element, and other than the lack of heartlining (which you mentioned previously) I think it looks really cool!

I'm actually a fan of the pointy diveloop. It reminds me of Voda :)

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#20 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

In the first picture the top of the element has a sharp bend in it (at least in that picture). Other than that it looks great! 

Ssc

Edited by dgohstand, 17 November 2016 - 11:10 AM.