Neutron Star (6/3/7102) Final Video

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

Its... Its... Beautiful. I am very impressed by the sheer scale of this project, and how well it is being executed. I love it! The only thing I could mention that could be better is the heartlining, but even that isn't such a large deal.

Signature not available 

#22 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

Cookies?

I really like this element, and other than the lack of heartlining (which you mentioned previously) I think it looks really cool!

I'm actually a fan of the pointy diveloop. It reminds me of Voda :)

What cookies? I never said anything about cookies. It's just an illusion within an illusion. :P Anyway, thanks! I liked Voda a lot. 

In the first picture the top of the element has a sharp bend in it (at least in that picture). Other than that it looks great! 

I think I fixed it. Thanks! 

Its... Its... Beautiful. I am very impressed by the sheer scale of this project, and how well it is being executed. I love it! The only thing I could mention that could be better is the heartlining, but even that isn't such a large deal.

Thanks! This post got me back into building it  for some reason. I guess I needed to hear it. :) *shrug* Oh well, whatever works. 

Forum, I think I'm getting the hang of heartlining. How is this? Oh, and I think I also fixed the sharp spot on top of the dive loop. 

IMG 0579

IMG 0577

That's all I have for now. I hope you guys like it. :3 Lunchtime with smosh Comment... if you want. 

Edit: There we go, much MUCH better! 

Edit 2: Forgive me for not mentioning it before, but the launch is the cable launch developed by maarten12. It will be functional as soon as I can get my hands on a string that is strong enough. 

Edited by SCM, 25 November 2016 - 05:18 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#23 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Yes, you nailed the heartlining! Don't worry, some of the more subtle parts of building (like heartlining) just take a lot of practice. Now as a rule of thumb, I always say that the banking at the top of a dive loop or immelmann should be 135* (not completely upside-down yet). But this is a really steep dive loop so I'll give it a pass.

I'm loving the creative layout, too. What did you call that first element... a bobby pin? It's almost like an inverted tophat with an extra twist. Looks super fun. I like it.

#24 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

Really loving this update because you fixed the one problem I had with this element. It looks great now!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#25 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

Yes, you nailed the heartlining! Don't worry, some of the more subtle parts of building (like heartlining) just take a lot of practice. Now as a rule of thumb, I always say that the banking at the top of a dive loop or immelmann should be 135* (not completely upside-down yet). But this is a really steep dive loop so I'll give it a pass.

I'm loving the creative layout, too. What did you call that first element... a bobby pin? It's almost like an inverted tophat with an extra twist. Looks super fun. I like it.

Whew, that's a relief. Thanks, steel. :) Yep, I called it a bobby pin. I'm glad you like it. 

Really loving this update because you fixed the one problem I had with this element. It looks great now!

Thanks; it is the one problem I had as well. 

Forum, it's time for an update. This will probably be the last update until after the winter contest. I've added another dive loop to the first one to make a Norwegian loop. However, it looks more like a pretzel. It's almost like I made the Auntie Anne's logo. (lol) Really, though, here are the pictures. 

IMG 0598
IMG 0599
IMG 0600
Comment... if you want. I'll add more TTS connections when the shaping is um... satisfactory. 

Edited by SCM, 08 December 2016 - 01:04 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#26 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

I think this is called a bowtie and is only been built on Voda before and is found on one coaster in the world called Dragon Mountain which was the worlds tallest coaster when it opened in 1983 in Canada. Just smooth out the top of the immelmann in that last pic, I see a couple of sharp spots that could be smoothed out and you will have a better chance at the train making the element consistently. There also needs to be more banking on that turn after the element too. Can we see a test video btw?

#27 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Ahh... it's been a while since I've seen a K'nex bow tie :)

I think that the exit of the second inversion is a bit straight, and needs to be more "S" shaped. Maybe add some more banking to the exit, too.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#28 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

^^ Dragon Mountain looks like such a weird ride, thanks for reminding me that it exists! I think a bowtie enters and exits perpendicular to the loop part, though. Anyway, I also noticed that the exit is quite straight and would look better if it had more of a flowing curve to it. I suspect part of the problem is that you're using gray rods where the track is twisting, which makes shaping super difficult. I really think you should switch to flexi rods on that part.

#29 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

This ride is crazy in the best possible way. I don't think I need to add anymore to what's been said other than stay crazy. You've still got a ton of height left to play with :D.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#30 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

I think this is called a bowtie and is only been built on Voda before and is found on one coaster in the world called Dragon Mountain which was the worlds tallest coaster when it opened in 1983 in Canada. Just smooth out the top of the immelmann in that last pic, I see a couple of sharp spots that could be smoothed out and you will have a better chance at the train making the element consistently. There also needs to be more banking on that turn after the element too. Can we see a test video btw?

I'm not sure if I should call it a mutated bowtie or a steep Norwegian loop. I'll get to smoothing in the next update. Sorry, no test videos yet. That will be in the next update. 

Ahh... it's been a while since I've seen a K'nex bow tie :)

I think that the exit of the second inversion is a bit straight, and needs to be more "S" shaped. Maybe add some more banking to the exit, too.

It might not be the, um, 'traditional' bowtie, but it's close enough. I'll fix the exit by the next update. 

^^ Dragon Mountain looks like such a weird ride, thanks for reminding me that it exists! I think a bowtie enters and exits perpendicular to the loop part, though. Anyway, I also noticed that the exit is quite straight and would look better if it had more of a flowing curve to it. I suspect part of the problem is that you're using gray rods where the track is twisting, which makes shaping super difficult. I really think you should switch to flexi rods on that part.

Yup, that's correct. Funny thing is, back when I was working on this, I replaced them with flexis and then I later read this post. 

This ride is crazy in the best possible way. I don't think I need to add anymore to what's been said other than stay crazy. You've still got a ton of height left to play with :D.

Woohoo! 

Forum, it's time for a mini-update. I'll explain the background shenanigans in the next update. It'll be a HUGE update. All I'm going to cover in this update is inversion #8. 

IMG 0695
IMG 0696
IMG 0697
It's only halfway done, obviously, but I want to make sure the heartlining is good and such, y'know? Comment... if you want. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#31 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Sorry about this double post, but I have an update! A BIG update! Forum, prepare for a lot of pictures - relative to how much I usually do these days, anyway. A question: I've been trying to find some string for the launch, but every string I find keeps getting snapped by it. What kind of string should I be using, and, where can I get it? Any answers are much appreciated. :) Now onto the update! 
overview
I've added a cobra roll since last time. It's a really strange one, it's partly inclined and partly normal. It kind of looks like a shark tooth when looking at it face to face. I'll come back to this.
supporter
moar TTS connections
It was definitely a good thing I added more TTS connections and that support for the bobby pin. 
2nd half
Here is the modified top of the 2nd part of the element. 
S -shaped Exit
pullout
things are finally starting to look up
Did I do better on the banking and making it more curvy and whatnot? 
shark tooth c-roll
c roll top
c roll top 2
Now it's back to the c-roll. How does it look? I don't want to have to remake it over again seven times like I had to do with Toxic. 
station area
This is the station area. 
queue prototype
queue prototype inside

Finally, this is the prototype for the queue line I've been working on. That's all I have to say for this. Plus a test video:

Have a nice day, and, of course, comment... if you want. 

Edited by SCM, 19 January 2017 - 03:16 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#32 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

Looks amazing! Cobra roll is fine and has a really nice flow to it. Looking forward to the next update! :)

#33 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Wow this is awesome, cobra roll looks great. The flow so far is fantastic. How fast does it go through the bobby pin?

Also that queue line looks fantastic. Very creative, it looks kinda like a space station hallway, if that's what you were going for.

Edited by iAClipse, 22 January 2017 - 08:31 AM.

msg-834-0-23642600-1483480744.jpg

~Thanks Steel~

#34 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

This looks great. I actually like the croll because it makes it unique. Would some kind of thin bungee cord work? It's strong enough but I don't know if it would work. Keep it up! 

How do you build a coaster?

#35 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

Looks amazing! Cobra roll is fine and has a really nice flow to it. Looking forward to the next update! :)

Thanks, Muzz! The next update is here. Mostly. 

Wow this is awesome, cobra roll looks great. The flow so far is fantastic. How fast does it go through the bobby pin?

Also that queue line looks fantastic. Very creative, it looks kinda like a space station hallway, if that's what you were going for.

Thanks, AppleAClipse! It does indeed fly through the bobby pin, and yeah, I am going for a space theme. Unfortunately the MCBR won't make an appearance, but I'll still use the platforms on it for the exit line. Recycle. Yeah.

This looks great. I actually like the croll because it makes it unique. Would some kind of thin bungee cord work? It's strong enough but I don't know if it would work. Keep it up! 

Thanks, hot dog stand! IDK. 

Forum, the new update is here! Updates will be coming in more frequently now... nevermind, this is one of the last updates. I have two more inversions after this - and those are pretty much already done, so maybe two or three more updates I guess? Bleh IDK. Pictures, and no test video because the train was being typical. 

NS 12617 overview
NS 12617 I loop
NS 12617 I loop 2
NS 12617 subtle 2
NS 12617 subtle
From last time, I've made an inclined loop. As a side note - is there a difference between an inclined loop and a leaning loop? I feel like this is one of those things where there's a slight difference... just to be confusing, of course. "No that's actually an inclined loop, you moron..." 
I've also made this subtle turn thingy and this corkscrew. I've only made half of it because it's going to go off into some sort of spiral thing. Well, that's the update. Comment... if you want. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#36 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

I like the bank before the corkscrew... I would say that's an inclined loop but it's debatable. Nice work! 

#37 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

This looks great. Although there is one spot. In the third photo right at the end of the pullout it looks a little sharp. It could just be the angle though.

msg-834-0-23642600-1483480744.jpg

~Thanks Steel~

#38 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

I like the bank before the corkscrew... I would say that's an inclined loop but it's debatable. Nice work!

Thanks! :)

This looks great. Although there is one spot. In the third photo right at the end of the pullout it looks a little sharp. It could just be the angle though.

Thanks! :) I'm not too sure what you're talking about, though.

Forum, this is a BUCKING HUGE update, filled with 22 pictures of fun! From the last time, I have decided to just go ahead and complete the circuit. From this point on in this project, I will only be doing minor tweakings. Scenery has been added, and the entry and exit lines are finito.
Nuetron Star will run all 9 inversions successfully once a proper launch is involved. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking, minus the outro. What's left to do? Make a test video, clean up (everybody everywhere), make the special final video... the final video is gonna be SIIICK. (H)

Thumbview
IMG_0866_zpshexxutla.jpg
Bedview
IMG_0864_zpskksqtea5.jpg
Enter Q line
IMG_0888_zpsmwjhsivz.jpg
Corner Q line
IMG_0886_zpstthtvljn.jpg
End Q line
IMG_0889_zpsran6soqo.jpg
Exit Path
IMG_0878_zps3mg5bqmc.jpg
Station Extras
IMG_0879_zpsswjkvepy.jpg
Sculpture
IMG_0880_zpszbz2wzte.jpg
Diamond
IMG_0881_zpsu9odl7mv.jpg
Benches
IMG_0884_zps7lek5lxp.jpg
Launch FWD
IMG_0891_zpsfynq0g4j.jpg
Launch BWD
IMG_0890_zpsfym9obvm.jpg
Beefed Up TTS Connection
IMG_0894_zpsxznouk1v.jpg
Cork Enter
IMG_0870_zpsapz2a3jf.jpg
Cork Exit
IMG_0871_zpshnraitbk.jpg
Curve
IMG_0873_zpsrbt65dkq.jpg
Curve Again
IMG_0872_zpsr97lzlsa.jpg
Inversion 8 Overview
IMG_0875_zpstnyg3ice.jpg
Inversion 8 Intro
IMG_0876_zpsyi2vtt6j.jpg
Inversion 8 Outro
IMG_0877_zpsvwl2tgzb.jpg
Inv. 9 POV
IMG_0885_zpsoazoirfj.jpg
Wheels
wheels_zps65j8qg47.png

Comment... if you want.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#39 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

Wow! That came together quickly... Can't wait to see the final video! 

#40 Inswerver

Inswerver

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

man this looks awesome. great work on the detailing. cant wait to see the final video.

I shall deal with this Jedi slime, Myself!