gci terrain

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm starting a new coaster, a terrain GCI woodie, probably similar to prowler and mystic timbers. It's an ambitious project but hopefully it'll work and I'll have the time to finish it.  It may all end in failure, but I might as well have a go. 

Here is a picture of the layout and a few pictures of the site I'm going to be building it on, it has good ground level changes, so hopefully should make for an interesting low to the ground layout, but I'm still open to layout suggestions and ideas for the name, Lumberjack was literally the first one I came up with but I'm sure you can do better. 

IMG_3900_zpsduubhyo2.jpg   Don't try to read my scrawl. 

IMG_20160808_195626392_zpsejjnmked.jpg

IMG_20160808_195611148_zpso3cdywnk.jpg

IMG_20160808_195532155_zpsf32nb4o1.jpg

I've finished the first drop, I've changed the layout slightly it will no longer loop completely around the first tree, as the tree is far too wide and it would result in a weird drop, instead the lift hill with go diagonally to the right of the tree and then loop round to rest of the layout. I know the drop isn't perfect but I'm building with time restraints (so comment quickly) so I think its good enough.   The drop is only about 3 and a half feet, but will the terrain changes later in the layout, the overall change in height is closer to 5 feet. 

IMG_3891_zpsolgbhrd4.jpg

IMG_3897_zpsxne50boc.jpg

IMG_3899_zpsbr4wkdod.jpg

Also as I'll have to anchor this outside, I can't just put it all up when I film. It will have to be left outside for a couple of weeks, will this cause any damage to my pieces? (I'll be taking the tubing off)  

Edited by rgarner42, 10 August 2016 - 06:23 PM.

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Maybe just fiddle with the end of the crest a little but the rest of the drop looks pretty good to me. Also, your pieces will be fine. I've heard there's a heatwave coming... (How many times have I heard that before). You have put this up quickly though talking from very recent woodie experiences.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

Ambitious project.  I like it.  You won't want to deal with water on the rails though, so maybe investing in some tarps for long-term periods of outdoor storage would be beneficial.  No issues that I can see.  Continue, please!

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#4 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the speedy replies, more of those please, cause I'd like to get at least the next hill done today. Any layout suggestions that will conserve a bit of speed, its a very long run down to the other tree. 

Maybe just fiddle with the end of the crest a little but the rest of the drop looks pretty good to me. Also, your pieces will be fine. I've heard there's a heatwave coming... (How many times have I heard that before). You have put this up quickly though talking from very recent woodie experiences.

I changed it a bit, but its now behind a tree so it doesn't matter :P Good, I'll just take the tubing in. Yeah,whatever, I'll believe it when it happens, its pretty miserable here at the moment. I've got to unfortunately, I have to go back to uni on august 30th :(  And how's your woodie coming along? 

Ambitious project.  I like it.  You won't want to deal with water on the rails though, so maybe investing in some tarps for long-term periods of outdoor storage would be beneficial.  No issues that I can see.  Continue, please!

Its something I've wanted to do for a while so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll take the rails in after shaping it, I think they're the only thing that could get damaged. I did look into tarps, but due to the size of this thing that could get expensive.  Thanks :) 

Anchored the first bit outside, might give you a better idea of the layout.The airtime hill isn't quite finished its going to curve slightly off to the left, is it alright so far? 

I've started on the laterals, and I plan to add a lot more ( provided I have enough pieces) to make it look more like a woodie, but I doubt I'll have enough for catwalks and stuff this time. 

IMG_3904_zpsriiwlzaj.jpg

IMG_3902_zps5lceadnn.jpg

IMG_3901_zpsicsojziu.jpg

IMG_3905_zpsa92onjck.jpg

#5 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

Absolutely loving this so far, It looks fabulous, except the minor bumps here and there but overall it is superb.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#6 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

Looks great, the drop is so smooth! I would say straighten the lift supports out which Im sure you'll do later and I noticed there's some missing green diagonal rods on that mini air hill you made too.

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:27 AM

Ah yes. Much better behind that tree ;) The track looks great even though I can see you're having to contend with a few bumps in the terrain.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#8 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Absolutely loving this so far, It looks fabulous, except the minor bumps here and there but overall it is superb.

Thanks :D yeah there might be a few bumps here and there but I'm building it quite quickly so I can't complain. 

Looks great, the drop is so smooth! I would say straighten the lift supports out which Im sure you'll do later and I noticed there's some missing green diagonal rods on that mini air hill you made too.

Thanks. I'll get round to that eventually. And that's because most of that will be covered with laterals eventually (hopefully) but I just want to see if it will make the turnaround by the other tree at a decent height before I go and add more details.  

Ah yes. Much better behind that tree ;) The track looks great even though I can see you're having to contend with a few bumps in the terrain.

Yeah :S I did change it a bit, it might not be quite the right shape, but it's still smooth. Yeah its quite good fun building with the terrain changes, and the weather is good enough at the moment that I can build outside which is nice. 

Finished the next little airtime hill. I think I need to change the top a little, from the pictures it looks a little flat, but I'm happy with the rest of it, any bumps I think are just caused by the banking and it has to bank.  I'm trying to get lots of little changes of direction in as GCI like these but I'm also quite conscious of losing too much speed. After this I'm going to build a slightly bigger airtime hill and I think I'll do more twisty stuff on the way back when I know it can make the turnaround at a decent height. 

IMG_3910_zpsf2iww3ek.jpg

IMG_3907_zps1q1fikiq.jpg

IMG_3909_zpsmlklwa1o.jpg

IMG_3911_zpsdyx39y9c.jpg

IMG_3912_zpszl6modad.jpg

The top still looks a bit flat so I'll change that. 

IMG_3915_zps61iir7ov.jpg

#9 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

The little bumps don't bother me that much. After all, it is a wooden coaster. 

I think the problem with the start of the drop is that you've transitioned to gray rods too quickly, making a sudden bump in the track. Try changing some of them to flexy rods and find out what works for you...

The new part that you built looks awesome! Definitely seeing the GCI inspiration! 

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#10 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

What a beautiful coaster so far! This is gonna be a fantastic ride!

#11 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:04 AM

The little bumps don't bother me that much. After all, it is a wooden coaster. 

I think the problem with the start of the drop is that you've transitioned to gray rods too quickly, making a sudden bump in the track. Try changing some of them to flexy rods and find out what works for you...

The new part that you built looks awesome! Definitely seeing the GCI inspiration! 

Yeah, that was my thinking to.   That might be it, I'll have a go at smoothing that out later in the build, but it didn't help that the tubing wasn't on in that picture. 

What a beautiful coaster so far! This is gonna be a fantastic ride!

First Test, It makes it and much more easily than I expected (and the train isn't even fully weighted) it actually makes the hill if dropped from the first airtime hill, so I should have lots of speed left for a more twisty reverse run. I've built half of the turnaround which is sort of like Wodan's first turn around, but I'll show you that in the next update. Not bad for a little under a week's work.

Test - https://www.youtube....v=V-u8t_qaQ2w  

Edited by rgarner42, 15 August 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#12 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

Nice test video, make sure the over bank is really big and wide, so its a little proportional to the rest of the ride's layout. I wish I had that much space to do all those hills and such, then I could make a good hyper of recreation one day. Is your backyard mostly all flat ground btw?

Edited by IOAgeek, 16 August 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#13 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

Yep. I can confirm that you have ton of speed which is nice. Making fast progress too. Looking forward to seeing this turnaround having ridden Wodan recently.

Edited by CW5X, 16 August 2016 - 06:15 PM.

Tyndrum

#14 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

Nice test video, make sure the over bank is really big and wide, so its a little proportional to the rest of the ride's layout. I wish I had that much space to do all those hills and such, then I could make a good hyper of recreation one day. Is your backyard mostly all flat ground btw?

Thanks. I'm lucky to have the space. Only the lawn where I put Mako is flat really and that's the still on a slight slope, the rest of it is either too small to put  anything on or too uneven. Where I building now there is about a foot and a half difference between the highest and lowest ground. 

Yep. I can confirm that you have ton of speed which is nice. Making fast progress too. Looking forward to seeing this turnaround having ridden Wodan recently.

Yep, but it loses double speed on the way back up the slope, so the layout's not going to be quite as long as I intended but its still going to be past 100 feet. Jealous. 

Got another big chunk of the layout done, construction was a bit slower cause there are builders milling about the house and the weather hasn't been too great over the last couple of days. I forgot to take any pictures of the lastest bit of the layout, but here's some overviews and the turnaround. I put a couple of little bumps on the way out of the turnaround, cause GCI like to do that kinda thing. And it looks like I'll have enough pieces for some laterals but not as many as I'd like. 

IMG_3922_zps9sbpgfeo.jpg

IMG_3927_zpsjlk5o5rd.jpg

IMG_3932_zpsxkgfg8uz.jpg

IMG_3935_zpszwmrckf9.jpg

Oh and another test video

- https://www.youtube....h?v=UDSt4KLxOKU

#15 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

I am absolutely loving this. It just hauls so much ass through the layout. I honestly have nothing bad to say, this coaster is amazing.

#16 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:54 PM

Wow- this is just so clean and absolutely amazing. And Trevor is right, it does haul ass through the whole layout. Also you forgot to change your profile picture to the lumberjack logo. ;)

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#17 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:30 AM

This is just fantastic! No complaints at all!

#18 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Wow I love the pacing of the trains so far! Can we see closer pics of the new hills and turns you completed in the updates.

#19 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

This is unbelievable! It's ginormous but also unbelievably smooth. This is going to be one hell of a coaster! (thumbsup)

Edited by WSWAoasters, 21 August 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#20 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for your comments :)

I am absolutely loving this. It just hauls so much ass through the layout. I honestly have nothing bad to say, this coaster is amazing.

Thanks and you taught me a new phrase :P

Wow- this is just so clean and absolutely amazing. And Trevor is right, it does haul ass through the whole layout. Also you forgot to change your profile picture to the lumberjack logo. ;)

This is just fantastic! No complaints at all!

Cheers!

Wow I love the pacing of the trains so far! Can we see closer pics of the new hills and turns you completed in the updates.

Thanks. I'll upload some more pictures later, by the time I'd re-tubed the layout tonight, it was too dark, so I've just got a few overview pics for now. 

This is unbelievable! It's ginormous but also unbelievably smooth. This is going to be one hell of a coaster! (thumbsup)

Thanks!

The weather is gonna behave for the next few days, so I decided to get it all set up tonight to start filming tomorrow. Its pretty much done, I just need to get the lift hill working smoothly now. The 4 car train makes the layout easily, the 5 car train is a bit unreliable as it has a new car in it. But I'll get that working as I'd prefer a 5 car train. It was too dark for detailed pics when I'd finished so I just took a few overviews photos on my phone.  

At some point tomorrow I'll upload a full circuit test and all going well I should have the final video done by the end of the week. 

IMG_20160822_201306284_zpstvypolgk.jpg

IMG_20160822_201322621_zpsnai9a2i3.jpg

IMG_20160822_201331064_zpsmrxg2ltx.jpg

IMG_20160822_201343228_zpsoy6zrxtn.jpg

IMG_20160822_201529252_zpsylu99bbf.jpg

IMG_20160822_202020679_zpsxswzz2ix.jpg

Edited by rgarner42, 22 August 2016 - 04:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gci, terrain