Halloween Eurofighter

eurofighter halloween abyss

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

I know that it's pretty early to start a Halloween coaster, but I only have a few more days until school and this year I will have a lot less free time. So I'm starting early because I don't want to be rushed. The idea for this Eurofighter has been something that I've wanted to do for a few months now, and I'm finally starting it. The layout was going to be completely original, but then I remembered the ride "Abyss". I watched the POV over again and I thought the layout was really interesting, so I decided to go with something more like that.

This isn't a recreation, the main differences are going to be:

- The layout will be mirrored

- The prelift section, station, and brake run will be in a different place

- I want to start it off with an immelmann like the one on Saw the Ride, there is also a similar immelmann on Krake (not a Eurofighter, but it still has the same element)

- There will be some other minor changes due to speed loss

- The theming will be different (still a horror theme, just not in the same way).

Time For pictures:

Station

Attached File  P8121062.JPG   120.67KB   2 downloads

Pre-Lift

Attached File  P8121063.JPG   138.64KB   0 downloads

The car can't make it from the station to the drop into the lift hill, so I will need to do some tweaking.

Lift Hill and Drop

Attached File  P8121066.JPG   99.67KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P8121069.JPG   53.56KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P8111060.JPG   98.43KB   0 downloads

Pullout

Attached File  P8121068.JPG   108.32KB   0 downloads

Since I'm only using one car I would like to weight and customize it. I've never done anything like that before, I'm guessing that you would just unscrew the back. I tried doing that and they were way too hard to unscrew. 

Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Edited by KirbyCoast, 12 August 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#2 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:51 PM

Looks very nice. I like the shaping and the prelift. Good luck on this project! :D

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#3 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

Looking good. Nice start. :) Maybe a tiny bump at the top of the pullout, might just be the angle of the photo, even so I can let that slide cause the rest of the shaping is very smooth. 

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

The drop and lift are looking pretty good to me. The pullout looks to be in just about the right place for a coaster like this. I guess a common mistake is to make it too small but you've avoided that here however I would quite like to see a full overview to make sure. Still, nice start and good luck,

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:41 PM

Looks very nice. I like the shaping and the prelift. Good luck on this project! :D

Thanks! Hopefully I can finish by Halloween...

Looking good. Nice start. :) Maybe a tiny bump at the top of the pullout, might just be the angle of the photo, even so I can let that slide cause the rest of the shaping is very smooth. 

This ride has changed so much since than that I almost forgot what you meant by this... I think the pullout is pretty good now though.

The drop and lift are looking pretty good to me. The pullout looks to be in just about the right place for a coaster like this. I guess a common mistake is to make it too small but you've avoided that here however I would quite like to see a full overview to make sure. Still, nice start and good luck,

I usually make the pullout too big, I think this one is a good size though.

WOOOOWWWW.... It's been a while.

Over the past month I've been trying to get working on this ride, and I've been super lazy about it. Luckily these past few weeks I've been getting a little less homework, so I've been able to get some building in. Most of the progress you see on this ride was done just yesterday, but the immelman has been up for around 3 weeks. Anyways the layout has changed quite a lot, originally I was trying to make it like Abyss, but I'm going for a completely custom layout instead. The order of the elements is: Immelman, turnaround, double-down/bunny hill, turnaround, heartline roll, brake run. As of now I've completed 3 of those elements, however the next two elements are smaller so they should be easier to build.

Attached File  PA140017.JPG   222.04KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA140018.JPG   103.19KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA140021.JPG   107.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA140022.JPG   159.05KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA140025.JPG   139.18KB   0 downloads

Once again, if anyone knows how to customize and weight cars, please let me know! The weighting is more important, but customized cars could be cool.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 14 October 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#6 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:44 PM

This looks really, really nice! Now, I don't use micro pieces very often, so I'm sorry but I can't help with the weighting/ customizing, but I can say that I can already tell this is going to be another fantastic build! (thumbsup)

Edited by WSWAoasters, 14 October 2016 - 11:47 PM.

#7 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

Nice work on this! :)

Customised cars would be admittedly be cool, but could compromise your ability to weight the cars (and it's very fiddly)! I think there was a sit-down made a few years ago made with inverted inverted cars which looked pretty impressive, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called - I'll check on the database at some point.

As far as weighting cars goes, I've done it extensively on my coasters and so far, it's been very successful, with big performance gains - but you need to make sure your track is strong enough, otherwise it'll deform and won't work.  You can sellotape on coins, but I've had the best results with plasticine.  

To weight with plasticine, you'll need to use a reasonably small screwdriver (I'm not sure how big the tip on the one I use is, but it's shorter in length than my pinky finger if that helps) to undo all the screws on the bottom of the car.  This bit is very fiddly and you'll need to make sure you don't lose the screws!  Then turn the car upside down and separate the two coloured parts.  Try to bundle in as much as you can into both of them, making sure you don't get any into the cylindrical tubes connecting them to the chassis (where the screws go).  Then push them back into the slots on the chassis and screw the screws back in.

Disclaimer: This might not work for all of your cars if the screws are too tight and unless you've got some serious skill, can only be done a certain number of times.  It's very normal to shave parts the top of the head off, but if you do it too many times, the head will become completely ground down and the grooves will disappear so it can't be screwed in.  This is probably because the screws are cheap and nasty ;) , but if it goes wrong, I'm sure you'll be able to buy more online.

Good luck with the rest of the coaster! I want some theming pls....

Edited by Batwing, 17 October 2016 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#8 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

Nice work on this! :)

Customised cars would be admittedly be cool, but could compromise your ability to weight the cars (and it's very fiddly)! I think there was a sit-down made a few years ago made with inverted inverted cars which looked pretty impressive, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called - I'll check on the database at some point.

As far as weighting cars goes, I've done it extensively on my coasters and so far, it's been very successful, with big performance gains - but you need to make sure your track is strong enough, otherwise it'll deform and won't work.  You can sellotape on coins, but I've had the best results with plasticine.  

To weight with plasticine, you'll need to use a reasonably small screwdriver (I'm not sure how big the tip on the one I use is, but it's shorter in length than my pinky finger if that helps) to undo all the screws on the bottom of the car.  This bit is very fiddly and you'll need to make sure you don't lose the screws!  Then turn the car upside down and separate the two coloured parts.  Try to bundle in as much as you can into both of them, making sure you don't get any into the cylindrical tubes connecting them to the chassis (where the screws go).  Then push them back into the slots on the chassis and screw the screws back in.

Disclaimer: This might not work for all of your cars if the screws are too tight and unless you've got some serious skill, can only be done a certain number of times.  It's very normal to shave parts the top of the head off, but if you do it too many times, the head will become completely ground down and the grooves will disappear so it can't be screwed in.  This is probably because the screws are cheap and nasty ;) , but if it goes wrong, I'm sure you'll be able to buy more online.

Good luck with the rest of the coaster! I want some theming pls....

Pretty sure that ride was Fenkis. I would do something like that, but I don't have any inverted cars :/

Thanks for the little tutorial! I'll try it out next time I get back to building. One of the problems I had was that I tried unscrewing the screws but they seemed like they were glued in or something. I could also try just putting a little weight in by turning around the car (I have pretty small hands so I could probably tape a weight in there).

Also yes, there will be theming.

#9 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:08 AM

Just a little question, does anyone have any experience with modifying track? I was trying to turn my 180 track piece into a 90 degree turn piece, but it isn't working all that well. Does anyone have any tips for putting together the track? Thanks.

#10 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:34 AM

Impressive. Your choice of elements for the rest of the coaster sounds good too.

Can't give you any advice for weighting and customising trains though, I have pretty much zero experience with VV. 

#11 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

This looks nice and funky. Your speed loss is pretty good for a micro I have to say.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#12 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

I like how it turned out so far !
Sam made a tutorial on how to weight VV cars:

http://www.sscoaster...weight-vv-cars/

Edited by Ghostbuster, 24 October 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#13 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Impressive. Your choice of elements for the rest of the coaster sounds good too.

Can't give you any advice for weighting and customising trains though, I have pretty much zero experience with VV. 

Thanks! I ended up figuring it out.

This looks nice and funky. Your speed loss is pretty good for a micro I have to say.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of speed I got, and weighting the cars helped it even more!

I like how it turned out so far !
Sam made a tutorial on how to weight VV cars:

http://www.sscoaster...weight-vv-cars/

Thanks for sending this, I had tried something similar to that earlier but I couldn't take off the screws. This time I used a slightly bigger screwdriver and it seemed to work.

I think this might end up being the last update, I'm done with the layout, and I pretty much just need to finish the pre-lift hill and the turn from the brake run.

I hope to have the theming finished by Friday so that I can have enough time to film and edit the video.

Attached File  PA240122.JPG   208.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA240117.JPG   188.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA240120.JPG   120.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PA240119.JPG   114.07KB   0 downloads

I already know what song I'm using for this ride, but are there any suggestions for names? I had a good name at one point but I sort of forgot it, anyway suggestions are appreciated!

Test Video: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#14 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

I really like your layout.

#15 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:24 AM

Really cool compact layout you have there. It'll be nice to see this thing done well with the scenery and all. The pacing is perfect.

Tyndrum

#16 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:41 PM

I finished the video just in time! 

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

There's also a model database which you can check out.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

#17 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

I really love what you did with the video. The attention to detail was excellent even up to the focus of the camera. The theming was also really neat. Great little ride.

Tyndrum

#18 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

Wow, I love what you did with the video... it must of taken a while to put that together. Great job on the coaster too. Do you build ss coasters to? 

How do you build a coaster?

#19 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Awesome final video the shaping is pretty decent but you lose some speed in the barrel roll but whatever lol. Do you have like a name for this coaster btw?

Edited by IOAgeek, 01 November 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#20 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:06 AM

I really love what you did with the video. The attention to detail was excellent even up to the focus of the camera. The theming was also really neat. Great little ride.

Thanks! My favorite part of Halloween has always been decorating, but since I moved to my new house no one comes up for trick or treating so we can't really do that. It was a ton of fun to decorate this though.

Wow, I love what you did with the video... it must of taken a while to put that together. Great job on the coaster too. Do you build ss coasters to? 

The ride itself took a long time but it actually only took 2 1/2 days to theme, film, and edit the ride. I was working for a lot of the day on it though. Also no, I don't build SS.

Awesome final video the shaping is pretty decent but you lose some speed in the barrel roll but whatever lol. Do you have like a name for this coaster btw?

The name is "VOID" because it's supposed to look like it's in a completely empty and dark place.

Thanks for all of the comments!  Was I the only person on SSC to build a Halloween coaster this year? I didn't see any others lol.

I might be taking a little break from K'nex until Christmas. Building this ride with all of the homework I've been getting has been pretty stressful. I'm definitely going to keep this one up for a while though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eurofighter, halloween, abyss