• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hello dear buiders!

I am about to build my first "classic" coaster (I have build a couple of micro coasters so far), but I struggle with finding the right scale for my coaster, as I hit one of 2 Problems: Either I make the turns too sharp and the train, doesn't make them or I build too big and I can't support the coaster good enougth, so I'd like to know from the more experienced builders:

How high/long should I build for my first coaster?

I plan on building something that doesn't have a very complicated track layout, maybe a basic loop or Immelman. Something short and simple, but I want to add/focus on either brakes or a station. Also I'd probably use that track as the "lubricating track", because my coasters loose speed very rapidly.

As for parts: I have a good ammount of them. Maybe not the hugest selection, but I'd say that it is quite big for starters.

#2 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Start with something on the smaller side that you can complete for your first few coasters. It will build confidence and you'll understand correct shaping quicker. Gradually get bigger and bigger the more rides you build. Start with something like: lift, pre-drop turn, drop, loop, hill, breaks, turn into the station, station, lift... and work your way up from there.

#3 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

Ok, and is there like a minimal height for the loop, so that it won't be too tight? Because on one of my earlier attempts, I made the loop too small, mainly because after the first hill, the train only made it to half the height of the original drop.

#4 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Yeah. you can definitely make the loop to tight. If you look at Jogumpie's Tornado (search it on YouTube it should come up pretty quickly) that about as tight as you can make them. start with a lift hill that's about 5 granite rods tall (same as yellow rods) If you tape batteries into your trains (5 for a 3 car train) you will maintain speed much easier. Also, don't lube the track, lube the axles of the train with some motor oil or silicone spray. You'll be amazed on the difference in speed.

If you do everything above, you should be able to get a loop that is a little under 2 grays in height.

Good luck!  

#5 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:25 AM

Thanks! ^^ I was thinking about hot gluing some coins to the underside of the cars, but Batterys are a good solution too.

#6 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

Definitely wouldn't use hot glue, clear tape is the best way to go in my opinion. I have also found good luck with coins, but have used batteries in the past. 

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#7 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

It definatly looks ggod right now. The coaster makes the loop, but because of the current speed loss, I think, I'll put it to a close really fast (also I'm about to go on vacation. YaY me!)

IMG_0528.JPGIMG_0527.JPG

So again: Thanks for the advice ^^

#8 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:50 AM

So I'm starting to get close to finishing the coaster, but I've run into another problem: On the first turn after the lifthill, the car gets stuck, but on almost the same curve before the lifthill, the train has no problem passing it. So are there any common "starter mistakes" I probably made?

Here are some pictures of the curves, if that helps:

UoKtDND.jpgLkJgO0m.jpg

#9 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

Are they getting stuck on the cross ties?

#10 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:43 AM

I'm not really sure how it could get stuck on the cross ties (As in "is that even possible?"), but sometimes, the tubes the train runs on gets stuck in between the upper and side wheels of the train.

#11 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

2 things, make sure that all the tubing is indeed on all the cross-ties correctly. 2nd, your turn might be too tight. the under-wheels of the train can bump up against the cross ties and cause the train to stop. 

#12 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

I'm not really sure how it could get stuck on the cross ties (As in "is that even possible?"), but sometimes, the tubes the train runs on gets stuck in between the upper and side wheels of the train.

You are actually using the wrong tubing. You are using the older, thinner orange tubing that came in the Big Ball Factory and Original Roller Coaster. When K'nex introduced the SS track, they gave it a thicker, stronger tubing. You'll find those in purple, red, magenta, blue, and shorter sections of yellow.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#13 PrincessSelena

PrincessSelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:00 AM

You are actually using the wrong tubing. You are using the older, thinner orange tubing that came in the Big Ball Factory and Original Roller Coaster. When K'nex introduced the SS track, they gave it a thicker, stronger tubing. You'll find those in purple, red, magenta, blue, and shorter sections of yellow.

Well that sure is handy to know :P I'll have a look into it after my upcomming examn