Block Brakes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan 310

Nathan 310

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

I would like to try to make a block brake system for my next roller coaster, but I'm not sure how.  I don't want to use chain.  I was wondering if there was a way that I could use tubing to slow down and stop the train, and once stopped, the tubing would lower and release the train.  If there was any way this could be possible I would love to hear it.  Thanks!

#2 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

With some controls and the proper mechanical elements it would certainly be possible. Do you have Lego NXT or anything similar?

#3 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Cool! Yes, it's totally possible and has been done before. I used block brakes on Clockwork and I remember seeing other people do it too. If your brake run is declined then you won't need any propulsion system once you release the brakes. It would be easiest to use a microcontroller or Lego NXT to release the brakes at the right time, if you have one, but I bet you could also automate it with just a K'Nex motor. There's also a number of different brake designs you could use - side-friction (tubing rubs on the sides of the cars), in-track (tubing rubs on the bottom of the cars), etc. I'd start by building the brake run and brakes, and then it'll be easier to figure out how to automate it from there.

#4 Nathan 310

Nathan 310

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Okay.  Sadly I would probably have to use just a K'nex motor.  The main problem I'm having is how to set up a design where the brakes can be raised and lowered.  I was very inspired after seeing the block brakes of Clockwork :)  I know it's probably a lot to ask, but is there some way I could have a little tutorial showing a system that you could lower and raise the brakes.  If there was a way I could somehow raise and lower these brakes or something similar I would greatly appreciate it if I can hear it.  Thanks for the help so far!

Tut_Brake_3.jpg