help beginner tips

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Hello, I am Spox5 and I am a beginner to KNEX coasters and am looking for some tips. I am hoping to get into SS sets and I am looking for a good SS starter set. I am hoping to eventually try some custom SS coasters. Any tips or reccomendations would greatly help me.

Thanks, Spox5

Edited by Spox5, 06 September 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#2 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

Definitely start with the Screamin' Serpent sets. They're the best, in my opinion. Also; start small, a lot of new members think their first coaster can be this massive six foot tall hyper coaster... It just doesn't work like that.

For your first coaster, I would definitely say 2 foot tall maximum so you can focus on shaping and supporting; getting the basics down before you start anything too crazy.

Feel free to start a construction thread when you start your new model. We're here to help!

Welcome to the forums, Spox5!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#3 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

Definitely start with the Screamin' Serpent sets. They're the best, in my opinion. Also; start small, a lot of new members think their first coaster can be this massive six foot tall hyper coaster... It just doesn't work like that.

For your first coaster, I would definitely say 2 foot tall maximum so you can focus on shaping and supporting; getting the basics down before you start anything too crazy.

Feel free to start a construction thread when you start your new model. We're here to help!

Welcome to the forums, Spox5!

Thanks, I was thinking I could maybe get one Screamin Serphant set and make a tiny coaster to get the basics down then expand from there.

Edited by Spox5, 06 September 2016 - 10:41 PM.

#4 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

Thanks, I was thinking I could maybe get one Screamin Serphant set and make a tiny coaster to get the basics down then expand from there.

I've never used SS so I don't know how much comes in the set, but I remember that my first few K'nex rollercoasters were done with just one Atomic Coaster set (vv track), which cam with a little over 1000 pieces. So I bet you could make some small ones with one Screamin' Serpent set too. I would also recommend that you don't try to make it very realistic either, maybe one to two elements should be all. In the beginning it's good to just try different things and test out elements, and then when you think you're ready you can get more sets and build some normal sized rides. 

#5 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:07 AM

Ok thanks for the feedback, but what is a good tutorial on making supports?

#6 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:40 AM

I would recommend getting a SS and then building the default set to get your bearings. Then start trying to modify the design to get a feel of how the track can be bent, shaped, etc.

I'll pull some tutorial links later when I am not on my phone.

#7 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

I would recommend getting a SS and then building the default set to get your bearings. Then start trying to modify the design to get a feel of how the track can be bent, shaped, etc.

I'll pull some tutorial links later when I am not on my phone.

Ok thanks!

#8 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

First off, welcome to the forums! :) A good thing to know about supports - for both boxes and tubes - is to use triangles. It's the strongest shape. Triangle this and that, triangle everything. Shaping is something you should look into shortly after you have basic supporting down. Something else to know is your limitations because of pieces. One Screamin' Serpent set will get you 1,280 pieces. It's a good amount to start with. I would advise to not make anything really dense with pieces, such as detailed stations, until you have more pieces. Other things to know: lubricate your train. I'll add a link to a tutorial. Also, weighting is important for when you start making "normal" sized coasters. (I think "normal sized" is a relative term that differs from builder to builder.) The more weight you have on a train, the stronger your track and supports must be. Don't forget Sir Isaac Newton's 2nd law: F = MA aka Force = Mass x Acceleration. A train in motion has more force than a train that isn't moving at all. There is more to say, but more knowledge will be revealed to you in time. In conclusion, practicing building should be the #1 thing on your list. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=44KjiRmys2A

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#9 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

First off, welcome to the forums! :) A good thing to know about supports - for both boxes and tubes - is to use triangles. It's the strongest shape. Triangle this and that, triangle everything. Shaping is something you should look into shortly after you have basic supporting down. Something else to know is your limitations because of pieces. One Screamin' Serpent set will get you 1,280 pieces. It's a good amount to start with. I would advise to not make anything really dense with pieces, such as detailed stations, until you have more pieces. Other things to know: lubricate your train. I'll add a link to a tutorial. Also, weighting is important for when you start making "normal" sized coasters. (I think "normal sized" is a relative term that differs from builder to builder.) The more weight you have on a train, the stronger your track and supports must be. Don't forget Sir Isaac Newton's 2nd law: F = MA aka Force = Mass x Acceleration. A train in motion has more force than a train that isn't moving at all. There is more to say, but more knowledge will be revealed to you in time. In conclusion, practicing building should be the #1 thing on your list.
https://www.youtube....h?v=44KjiRmys2A

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping to get the Screamin Serphant in about 15-20 days and I will defiantly look back at this post to help me get started!

#10 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

Tutorials section has a bunch of pinned threads at the top with headers for specialized topics.

Here is the main section: http://www.sscoaster...knex-tutorials/

Then here is a thread with further links on Track Enhancements and Supports: http://www.sscoaster...ement-supports/

#11 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

Hi... It's me again. So I've been looking for a Screamin Serphant set on eBay and I haven't had any luck. I can't find anything even $70 or less with the tax included. Where should I look? I think the biggest problem though is that I live in Canada... But anyways where should I look?

#12 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

I'm thinking about just going with VV coasters... : They are just easier to find and buy.

#13 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:59 PM

I'm thinking about just going with VV coasters... : They are just easier to find and buy.

VV is fine, there are some disadvantages but they also allow for some way more compact rides and are a little easier to support. Good Luck!

#14 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:04 AM

VV is fine, there are some disadvantages but they also allow for some way more compact rides and are a little easier to support. Good Luck!

Ok, thanks! I already have a miniature KNEX VV coaster and I'm probably just going to buy a $50 set from my local toy store to add to my other set.

#15 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:52 PM

Ok, thanks! I already have a miniature KNEX VV coaster and I'm probably just going to buy a $50 set from my local toy store to add to my other set.

Which set is it? I recommend getting older sets because they usually have a higher piece count (the newer ones are usually pretty small) and if they're used they can be way cheaper, although the ones that are discontinued can be pretty expensive.

#16 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

Which set is it? I recommend getting older sets because they usually have a higher piece count (the newer ones are usually pretty small) and if they're used they can be way cheaper, although the ones that are discontinued can be pretty expensive.

Ok, the set at my local store is a very new set, so which set do you recommend?

#17 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

Ok, the set at my local store is a very new set, so which set do you recommend?

The main thing that you're looking for is the piece count, I would say that if it has over 1000 pieces for that price it's worth it. Also I would recommend that you get one with a chain lift (I don't know if the one you're talking about is launched or not, but if it is launched and you don't already have one or two chain lifts then you should probably find a different one). Here are some deals on Ebay that look pretty good to me: 

http://www.ebay.com/...VUAAOSwimdXoyP~ (I highly recommend this set, not only because it has a lot of pieces but also because it's a lot of fun to build) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KNEX-KNEX-Super-Cyclone-Roller-Coaster-Motorized-Toy-675-Pieces-/182261568357?hash=item2a6fa2d365 (this one doesn't have too many pieces but it's pretty cheap, although you might want to see if it's complete).

Edited by KirbyCoast, 26 September 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#18 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

I would definitely check out shopgoodwill.com

I know they ship to Canada, although it may be a bit more pricey.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#19 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

I would definitely check out shopgoodwill.com
I know they ship to Canada, although it may be a bit more pricey.

;) haha just bought some more sets.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#20 Spox5

Spox5

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

I'm still looking for the Screamin Serphant in the back of my head and I found one that costs $70 Canadian. I'm thinking about getting it... It's $50 American. Do you think it's worth it?

Edit: I couldn't find that one but I found one that is about $78 Canadian. Is it worth it? http://m.ebay.ca/itm...1964?nav=SEARCH

But I'm worried it isn't complete as well...

Edited by Spox5, 27 September 2016 - 09:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, beginner, tips