Compact Launch Coaster

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hey guys! After about a year, I'm finally back and able to start building again. Currently I'm looking for a job, however since I am unable to find anything right now, I have a lot of free time to build.

I have decided to build another launch coaster, but this time it's going to be much smaller than my previous attempts.
I took the original launch I had constructed for Octo-Fury and made it smaller by about a foot. I hope to get a few inversions in on this short layout, however all I have right now is the launch.
image_zpsx0btiykc.jpeg

image_zpspdh4nsro.jpeg

I am not sure why this video is not playing right, but if you visit it on my channel it should be fine.

Also, I'm open to name suggestions! Something that incorporates its size would be awesome.

Thank you all for your time.

Edited by Connector1o1, 09 September 2016 - 01:54 PM.

Signature not available 

#2 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

You have an interesting launch structure. It looks like a pentagon. Names? Hmm.... "Planck Length" - a planck length is equal to about 10-20 times the size of the proton. Smallest science-ey name you can get. 

• Connector1o1 likes this

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#3 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

You have an interesting launch structure. It looks like a pentagon. Names? Hmm.... "Planck Length" - a planck length is equal to about 10-20 times the size of the proton. Smallest science-ey name you can get.

Thank you sir, it sure is an interesting launch. :)

Signature not available 

#4 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

It's about time for an update, I haven't had too much time on my hands, but just enough to get something done. I decided to go with an Immelmann/dive loop as my first element because I think it's the quickest way to switch the direction while maintaining speed. The reason for it being so small is I am hoping to have an identical loop that is the same size as this one to create kind of a batwing effect. You will see what I mean in the next update. But for now, here is what I have so far.

IMG_5846_zpsdnjuvwnp.jpg

IMG_5844_zpsfpaerwyh.jpg

IMG_5845_zpszmljhlqi.jpg

IMG_5851_zpspnhehn6c.jpg

IMG_5854_zpsohkao6lx.jpg

The pullout has a few shaping flaws which I will be addressing during the building of the second element. I didn't think there was need for a test video since it's just one element. The train flies through this element insanely quick, which it is going to have to in order to clear the second element. Hopefully it looks better when that is added.

Please, let me know what your thoughts are. :)

Edited by Connector1o1, 22 November 2016 - 12:35 PM.

Signature not available 

#5 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

How much does it shake when the train hits the apex? I see you haven't supported the top. If it doesn't shake then the element looks good. (besides the pull out) Keep it up! 

How do you build a coaster?

#6 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

A perfectly identical one would make a pretzel knot. Making a batwing out of this, though would be cool because it would be at an angle. Also, if you're not going to add supports to it because you're going to have track meet up too close for supports, then you could at least add some backbone, especially since you want to have the second part of the element to be the same size. As for the shaping itself, I think it looks nice and smooth, apart from the entry pullout being too tight. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#7 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

Ummmm this is kind of FREAKING BEAUTIFUL! I guess the pullout could use a little work, but I mean it's really not too bad. Anyways, I can't wait to see what you have planed next; keep up this fantastic work!

#8 IndyLukes

IndyLukes

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

Could you make a tutorial for making that launch? it looks amazing and easier than other launches

#9 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

Congrats on getting the launch to work so well! The dive loop / immelmann should be an interesting start to the layout. I think the twist ought to start a little later (higher up), but the shaping looks pretty good otherwise. Wait, is that from DDRman's dive loop tutorial?

Vekoma just released a new launched coaster model (which looks like a fantastic layout), so maybe you can take some inspiration from that?

#10 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:19 PM

^They had to use that music? :P That top hat looks sick though, so strange!

I feel like the pullin is a little small, but maybe that's just me considering that I make my pullins and pullouts overly yuge... Overall, it looks good so far other than the issues with the pullout that you were going to fix anyways!

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#11 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

Looks beautifully shaped but youre going to need some more supports because after the launch there will be tons of force on the track ans its flexi rods too lol. We need to see a test video or something for proof.

#12 IndyLukes

IndyLukes

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

Tutorial for the launch please?

#13 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That entrance is fucking sexy. But the pullout sucks. ;)

Seriously though. The pullout of the element doesn't follow a consistent contour. Do this:

http://imgur.com/a/xcEgK

WVQNJWJ.jpg

And it'll look great.

If you're running weighted trains your gonna need a lot more supports. it looks all pretty with that huge span of track free standing but your pretty shaping won;t last long unless you have supports to hold your track's shape. That means probably add some more supports and diffidently add a lot of track to support connections. 

Edited by commando, 27 November 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#14 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

How much does it shake when the train hits the apex? I see you haven't supported the top. If it doesn't shake then the element looks good. (besides the pull out) Keep it up!

All of this has now been fixed kind sir! Thank you. It shakes quite a bit without a support.

A perfectly identical one would make a pretzel knot. Making a batwing out of this, though would be cool because it would be at an angle. Also, if you're not going to add supports to it because you're going to have track meet up too close for supports, then you could at least add some backbone, especially since you want to have the second part of the element to be the same size. As for the shaping itself, I think it looks nice and smooth, apart from the entry pullout being too tight.

I'm not quite sure anymore about what I'm going to build for the next element... it's a work in progress

Ummmm this is kind of FREAKING BEAUTIFUL! I guess the pullout could use a little work, but I mean it's really not too bad. Anyways, I can't wait to see what you have planed next; keep up this fantastic work!

Thanks man. I have worked hard getting the shaping to a point I think is passable.

Could you make a tutorial for making that launch? it looks amazing and easier than other launches

I will not be making a tutorial on this launch anytime soon, it takes quite a bit of effort to explain. But your in luck, search up the "Jesper Launch" and you shall find detailed instructions of how to build it.

Congrats on getting the launch to work so well! The dive loop / immelmann should be an interesting start to the layout. I think the twist ought to start a little later (higher up), but the shaping looks pretty good otherwise. Wait, is that from DDRman's dive loop tutorial?
Vekoma just released a new launched coaster model (which looks like a fantastic layout), so maybe you can take some inspiration from that? https://youtu.be/U6F2hsYs1v8

Thanks Steel! The dive loop/Immelmann was actually not from that tutorial although the it looks scarily alike. It looks much different anyhow now though. ;) That launch coaster looks like a ton of fun, I might have to take up some inspiration like you suggested.

^They had to use that music? :P That top hat looks sick though, so strange!

I feel like the pullin is a little small, but maybe that's just me considering that I make my pullins and pullouts overly yuge... Overall, it looks good so far other than the issues with the pullout that you were going to fix anyways!

Looks beautifully shaped but youre going to need some more supports because after the launch there will be tons of force on the track ans its flexi rods too lol. We need to see a test video or something for proof.

Yeah, the pullin is quite small and even after redoing the element it still is. But it shall look much better in this update!

Tutorial for the launch please?

Answer above^ or I might have messed up on multiqouting lol

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That entrance is fucking sexy. But the pullout sucks. ;)

Seriously though. The pullout of the element doesn't follow a consistent contour. Do this:

http://imgur.com/a/xcEgK

WVQNJWJ.jpg

And it'll look great.

If you're running weighted trains your gonna need a lot more supports. it looks all pretty with that huge span of track free standing but your pretty shaping won;t last long unless you have supports to hold your track's shape. That means probably add some more supports and diffidently add a lot of track to support connections.

Thanks Commando, everyone needs a little harsh criticism every once in a while ;) Everything you've said was very detailed and made perfect sense. I do not think I'll be running weighted trains because the extra weight puts stress on the launch. I might revise the launc a little but I haven't decided.

Thank you all for the kind words and criticism!
As for the update...

Signature not available 

#15 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

After much thought, I decided just to rip the entire pullout and top part of the Immelmann/dive loop. I figured this way I will have a lot more like getting it into the shape I wanted. After building and tearing down several attempts I finally created something that I was quite happy with.
It may seem a little on the tall side, almost as f it was stretched out. I did this on purpose because I thought it would flow much better to have a skinnier taller dive loop(ish) thing. I would much appreciate what you think!
IMG_6023_zpsm7hut1jh.jpg
IMG_6025_zpsuybul7gw.jpg
IMG_6030_zpskmglvcue.jpg
IMG_6028_zps2u6ybrjf.jpg
That's what the new revamped element looks like, let me know what your thoughts are! I've also included a dank test video. 😎

Also, as a little quick trivia can anyone guess what game this is supposed to be from? ;)

Spoiler

Edited by Connector1o1, 01 December 2016 - 03:56 PM.

Signature not available 

#16 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

It looks way better now, but I think you might still want to do what command said. The pullout starts too soon and isn't the right shape. I think that support structure is really nice too :)

#17 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Calm down memelord, i like this so far looks clean !

#18 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

Also, as a little quick trivia can anyone guess what game this is supposed to be from? ;)

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VII?

And that's a nice MLG quickscope montage but I think you can do better than that  ;)

#19 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:27 AM

let me know what your thoughts are! I've also included a dank test video.

outmemed

Edited by KirbyCoast, 03 December 2016 - 01:27 AM.

#20 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

outmemed

Thanks, I definitely needed this in my life.