wooden coaster project

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Murphyyy

Murphyyy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

I have been working on a Wooden coaster this is my first ever coaster build so im still learning the basics, i have been working on this for a couple weeks now, i have an idea of what i want it to look like when im finished but any ideas would be awesome.

I bought another 7000 parts the other day to add to my build.

Photos to follow.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with corners, i was looking to make some sharper corners, if anyone has any designs i would love to look at them. 

Attached Files

• Murphyyy likes this

#2 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

You don't necessarily have to bend the pieces. sure it will get you a smoother corner but  they will be longer. I'm not sure how to describe how to make your corners sharper but you appear to have the base completely laid out already. just go with what you got and make improvements on your next coaster.

#3 Murphyyy

Murphyyy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Yeah i've been trying all different designs for the corners but i have settled with this one the longer you make it the more curved its is.

i have planned to have track running across the bottom ones before it reaches the Station area.

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

I do love the look of a good old blue rod woodie. I think just to stop your pieces from flexing too much, you could turn around the 3D connectors at the base of your turns by 90 degrees just to allow the pieces able to handle the corner more easily. Right now, it's probably stressing the connectors a little. Hopefully that will make them last longer. Looking cool though, especially for your first.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 Murphyyy

Murphyyy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Okay so today i finally got my haul of knex i purchased last week and im extremely happy, i still have another 750 grey 3D connectors coming.

Attached Files

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

I don't have much experience with supports like that, so I can't help much with the corners. The supports look great so far, though! This is going to be very compact, unless there's more to the layout than what you showed in the first post. Is there?

Congrats on expanding your K'Nex collection too, that's quite a lot of 3d connectors   :lol:

#7 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

Check this guys channel out he has made many wooden roller coasters.

I think you should ask him for help.

https://www.youtube....expert06/videos

#8 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

Those parts looks familiar ;)

In regards to your 3D connector issue, the way you've done it is the way I did it when I used to build, I find turning it 90* to use the purple bit at all, just lets it snap out of the purple bit when under tension.

another thing, you don't necessarily need those Yellow rods INSIDE the frame either, I found once the support had been built and put on the ground, it was sturdy enough.

Also, SSC members get a discount on parts - if you hadn't tagged on, I sold you those parts on eBay. Send me a message and I'll see what I can do ;)

#9 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

Check this guys channel out he has made many wooden roller coasters.

I think you should ask him for help.

https://www.youtube....expert06/videos

That would be Zorn on here: http://www.sscoaster.../user/337-zorn/

#10 Murphyyy

Murphyyy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the information guys.

I like the look of the yellow rods between the frame it gives it more of a Wooden coaster look and also a little more sturdiness in the frame, Rhys i completely forgot you were on here, good to see you again man.

I have been busy so haven't been able to update the project as much as i would like, im currently looking into ways of designing the track on the corners as this is my first time building a coaster these seem to be the hardest parts as i can seem to get the right angle for it to smoothly turn.

#11 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

See this picture for how I've been doing corners on my last couple projects:

gallery_337_1056_776517.jpg

Hopefully the picture is self explanatory.  I do it this way so I can vary the radius at any point in time.  I find you can only turn a corner so tight before you start deforming pieces.  If I want a super tight radius I end up using standard box supports instead.

Check me out

Youtube

#12 Murphyyy

Murphyyy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

Hello Everyone, so i had to abandon my last project to lack of time buttttt... i have a new on going woodie that has been started, more updates tomorrow :P