Help please! Difference between Hyperspeed and Supernova?

hyperspeed supernova

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dude20

Dude20

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hi, my son is 7 and has some birthday money (about £30, but I don't mind adding to it a bit). He would like a Knex roller coaster set and he's seen a motor that shoots the car thing around the track faster. I think it's called a Hyperspeed motor, but I've also seen one called Supernova.

I am not familiar with Knex, but my son loves it and I want to do the best for him. Please could you guys offer me some advice on the best set to buy and the pros and cons of different types.

I've seen this on eBay (see screenshot) but I'm not sure if it the right thing to buy. Can one of these be fitted on to any roller coaster set or does it have to be one designed to take this type of motor?

I'd really appreciate some tips and suggestions. I'm in the UK, don't know if that makes a difference to what is available. I think my son will love this forum when he gets older!

Thanks,
From a clueless mum trying to figure out Knex.

Attached Files

#2 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

Hi there! I'll see what I can do to help you. :) 

The first thing to understand about micro coasters it that there are two different track types. Older micro coaster sets have wires sticking out of the track so it can be connected with other track of the same type. K'nex doesn't make this type of track anymore - because it can be rather unsafe. Modern micro coasters have these wires replaced with small plastic knobs. 

What you have in the screenshot can only be used with modern micro coaster sets. K'nex has a ton of micro coaster sets to choose from. Click here to view the sets.  You can look to this page to see what sets exists, and then look up the product(s) on Ebay or something (because knex prices are often outrageous). 

• Dude20 likes this

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#3 Dude20

Dude20

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:51 AM

Hi, thank you for your reply.
much appreciated!

#4 Dude20

Dude20

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:07 AM

I'm reading more about it and I get the two different types of track now, thanks.

Am I right in thinking that if I buy the red motor off eBay it will work with any of the new type plastic track?

Cheers!

#5 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

You're welcome. Yes, you are thinking right. It will work with any of the new micro coaster sets. 

• Dude20 likes this

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#6 Dude20

Dude20

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Fantastic! We have just bought it for £7.50 and we are now looking at the coaster sets available.
What's the easiest way to tell if a set is the old type or new type? Is it as simple as them being different colours?

I've been looking on eBay, Amazon etc, but I can't see it specified anywhere.

Thanks again for your help :)

#7 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

I believe the only set using the metal tabs was the "Vertical Vengeance"... any other micro set should be fine.

Someone may have to correct me on that. But I know the Vertical Vengeance has the metal tabs.

• Dude20 likes this

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#8 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

There are more coasters with metal tabs.

You have to take a close look at the thickness of the connection. 

Thick connection = plastic tabs.

Small connection = Metal tabs.

Knipsel_zpsnsizh0v9.png

(plastic tabs.)

Picture Below is my own coaster it has metal pins, you can tell the difference by looking at the connections.

DSCN0931.jpg

Edited by Ghostbuster, 23 September 2016 - 04:54 PM.

• Dude20 likes this

#9 Dude20

Dude20

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

Thank you so much, really appreciate the help. Cheers

#10 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:00 PM