ngc woodie ss

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

I am back again with exciting news of a rollercoaster I will be erecting for my Northrop Grumman mentorship program. This will be probably a fast paced build, but the project will extend through the year.

Background info: I went to the company building during a school day for about 8 hours and was assigned my mentor to help me along with my project. I discussed my idea and what my project would look like at the end of the year. He's definitely on board, but I'm not sure if he knows the sheer capabilities I hold. I am not able to type in a complete update about the entire day I had, but I intend to give complete updates on the next times I have work days, which are every second Tuesday of every month.

My project will be a compact Woodie that will be able to run simultaneous trains through a Raspberry Pi safely and complete continuous cycles. This will run with a few motors, and the station will also be automated as well. Basically just run like a normal rollercoaster with it's blocks. It will contain a lift hill, be in a 4x8 ft. space, sensors indicating where the trains are located, be as long as possible (airtime yeahhhh), but also be realistic. Every time I go into the workplace, I will need to be able to transport it through my dad's truck and be able to go in about two or three sections or so. An automatic station with two automatic brake runs. This ride will be small, but very impressive with shaping and be built on a terrain that will have potential to be themed with fake grass and that kind of sort. (I say potential because I am not sure exactly if I will have time for this, but the terrain will look good in itself if it stands alone.)

I have more progress than what I will show, I just don't want to update too fast ;)

For now I will show you the progress of the terrain as it will fit the ride I plan to construct. It will also play a big part in saving pieces.

Anyways, I will show the "few" pictures I have and I hope you enjoy.

Attached File  20160915_135259.jpg   111.06KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20160915_144349.jpg   111.12KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20160915_144352.jpg   125.8KB   0 downloads

Here I set the dimensions basically...

Attached File  20160916_211850.jpg   151.61KB   0 downloads
...and BAM I'm done with the terrain in a total of two days.

That is all I will post for now, and if anyone has questions about experiences or what I am doing, I will answer them!

Thanks (-:

Edited by Mister Piglette, 26 March 2017 - 06:14 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#2 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

Good luck overall with this project!

#3 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

This is so cool as I am doing something very similar for school this year! :P mine will only need the station, brakes, etc. as it only has to be the control system (however I might just make the full coaster anyway) and I will be using an Arduino board rather than Raspberry Pi.
As for what you've built, it looks great! I know from experience building terrain isn't easy to get right but this is looking really good.
Good luck with this, I'm looking forward to seeing it! :D

#4 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hi there guys! Sorry for taking so long to update, as I feel awful about not contributing to the forum and expecting people to pay attention to my ride. Well I have some track work done and I think it looks impressive but I need a few tips and advice on what I have.

Here are a few pictures:

Attached File  20160920_173255.jpg   175.25KB   0 downloads
Attached File  20160920_173251.jpg   211.13KB   0 downloads
Attached File  20160920_175836.jpg   220.15KB   0 downloads

It's these next two pictures that kind of haunt me for a couple reasons.

Attached File  14771562086081058605983.jpg   127.77KB   0 downloads
The second turn feels like it is too straight when I'm trying to get consistent and fluid turns. The problem is that's as far as my terrain goes and I don't know if I should extend it out a granite rod further to give me more space. I guess it wouldn't have to be much, but that sucks to do.
Attached File  14771562725611979763427.jpg   167.06KB   0 downloads
This one bugs me because the turn rises slowly and then shoots up. Is this a problem? Should I change it? Is it the angle that I am looking at? From the other few angles, it looks really nice but this one kind of throws it off. I don't know. Anyways, thank you guys for viewing, I haven't touched it in a long time just because some of it doesn't look perfect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

I really like this. The structure of the woodie looks great, and I hope you've got lots of speed left to make a nice long layout. The first set of turns look fantastic, so I wouldn't change them, but I see what you mean about the second turn (where is comes parallel to the lift),  there is a straight section. I don't think it's much of a problem but if you want more flowing turns you could extend it out so the turn has a wider radius or make it go over the lift hill a bit earlier.  

I'd like to see a side view of the lift and drop, I'm not sure if the drop needs a bit more banking or not, the last picture makes it look a little flat. 

But overall looks really nice :D

#6 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:42 PM

I really like the first two turns, in fact I think they look beautiful. As for the turn that goes over the lift you could try a double up (opposite to a double - down incase I got the name wrong :P) having the first little bit unbank and fit in with the straight spot then have the turn bank over the lift a little sharper (like the first set of turns).
Only a suggestion and I don't really know if you've got much space from those pictures, but hopefully it helps a little!

#7 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

Haha, looking at this makes me really want to build another k'nex roller coaster.

But as for the coaster, that second picture of it, it's unique. I like it. As for the first picture, I see what you're talking about as the straight part. Not really sure of a solution though. Maybe kind of push that straight part towards the right just a hair, and maybe bring the top of the hill down just a little, and smoth it out so the turn looks more round? I hope that makes sense.

Other than what I mentioned, this looks like a fun little build.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#8 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

I actually love the look of this as is. Sometimes it can be hard to get a coaster to flow beautifully, I don't consider myself an expert on that subject, but this seems to work so well.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#9 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

I really like this. The structure of the woodie looks great, and I hope you've got lots of speed left to make a nice long layout. The first set of turns look fantastic, so I wouldn't change them, but I see what you mean about the second turn (where is comes parallel to the lift),  there is a straight section. I don't think it's much of a problem but if you want more flowing turns you could extend it out so the turn has a wider radius or make it go over the lift hill a bit earlier.  
I'd like to see a side view of the lift and drop, I'm not sure if the drop needs a bit more banking or not, the last picture makes it look a little flat. 
But overall looks really nice :D

Thanks for the response! I pulled the straight part out about a granite and it looks so much better! Now my only problem is the stuff after it 😂😂 The drop is actually pretty flat but I think that's because it is a straight down drop without much curve. It's hard to bank the drop when the isn't a case to.

I really like the first two turns, in fact I think they look beautiful. As for the turn that goes over the lift you could try a double up (opposite to a double - down incase I got the name wrong :P) having the first little bit unbank and fit in with the straight spot then have the turn bank over the lift a little sharper (like the first set of turns).
Only a suggestion and I don't really know if you've got much space from those pictures, but hopefully it helps a little!

Since I changed the turn prior to it going over the lift, it changed how much room I had over the lift hill. The top of the hill after going over the lift is about the same height as the part that goes under which is really cool. What I have a is a pretty nice and slow movement over the hills which will help with my project. I hope this looks better.

Haha, looking at this makes me really want to build another k'nex roller coaster.

But as for the coaster, that second picture of it, it's unique. I like it. As for the first picture, I see what you're talking about as the straight part. Not really sure of a solution though. Maybe kind of push that straight part towards the right just a hair, and maybe bring the top of the hill down just a little, and smoth it out so the turn looks more round? I hope that makes sense.

Other than what I mentioned, this looks like a fun little build.

Basically did what you said, and the second picture is what made me keep the first part of the layout. I enjoy it very much! Thanks!

I actually love the look of this as is. Sometimes it can be hard to get a coaster to flow beautifully, I don't consider myself an expert on that subject, but this seems to work so well.

Thank you so much! It is very difficult for sure.

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Onto the update. I have constructed the next element and the beginning of the next one, but I wanted the approval of everyone before I continued.

I think it looks really good but there are some iffy parts, and especially with tightness of space I am trying to use every bit of it. Here are some pictures:

Attached File  14784540512611493357054.jpg   152.45KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1478454084187-203914034.jpg   134.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  14784541325751372137372.jpg   151.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1478454158510224379112.jpg   115.8KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1478454231581580220642.jpg   182.06KB   0 downloads

Attached File  14784543006642006559773.jpg   158.58KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1478454338359-964627366.jpg   198.84KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Snapchat-2389794150747466493.jpg   240.63KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Snapchat-2283601890065673707.jpg   249.01KB   0 downloads

These are my two possible layouts and I am trying to plan for both. I have to keep in mind that my layout needs a station and brake run.

I think the pictures speak for themselves and I actually like the overtop view more than any of the other pictures. I hope you guys like it :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

Love it, it looks great. :D

I think I prefer the first layout (green one), looks like it gives you a longer layout and more space for the station and brake run, just might be a bit more tricky to thread around the existing structure. 

Edited by rgarner42, 06 November 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#11 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

This is a seriously spectacular build! Love every bit of it so far :D
As for the layout I personally like the green one better and it also has a station area included which would make it easier. Only thing I would suggest is trying to get the station at the front rather than hidden in the middle (kind of like how I had the station on my coaster 'Drift'). This would just give the whole thing a better look - you could have the brake run in the middle with a turn leading into it - however I know you have size constraints so it may not be so easy.
Anyway this is just awesome and can't wait to see more! *cough*test video!*cough* ;)

Edited by Muzz135, 06 November 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:13 PM

So many beautiful curves. ❤️ I'd go for green as well but yeah, have a look at the station placement and consider your options. I've come to appreciate the importance of a decent visible station over time. Excellent project so far though. Really enjoying it.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#13 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Great build so far! I prefer the purple layout. However I think the green layout would be better because of the amount of space you have for the station. Keep up the good work! 

How do you build a coaster?

#14 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Great stuff!  The shaping is nice, and the build is really smooth and flows well.  Not much to suggest really, but try to throw in some airtime, just so that it's not too repetitive.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#15 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thank you guys for all the wonderful comments. I can't believe it is already February. I have a nice little update for you guys and some information of what I am doing with the roller coaster.

Here's some pictures:

Attached File  20170220_110749.jpg   181.81KB   0 downloads
This will probably be my all-time favorite photo. It really captures the bird's-eye view and the structure very well.

Attached File  20170220_110804.jpg   151.67KB   0 downloads
I didn't make as much forward progress as I did backward progress. I constructed the station and the pre-station, and now I have to add the brake run.

Attached File  20170220_110826.jpg   230.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170220_110836.jpg   176.85KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170220_111049.jpg   189.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170220_111100.jpg   184.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170220_111149.jpg   179.36KB   0 downloads

Those are all of the pictures I have and I have some information about all these. I have my Raspberry Pi (gor all who don't know what that is, it's like an Arduino) imbedded in my rollercoaster and I have 3 LEDs and 3 photoresistors. I essentially use those in specific places to tell me where my trains are (as I am running two) and automating the entire ride. I have my two 12V motors that I cut up to use on my breadboard and a servo for the brakes.

I have all of my hardware completed, I just need to finish the circuit so I can fully test what I have. All of my programming is functional.

I have forgot everything else I intended to mention by now so please ask questions and I'll answer them in here 😂 Thank you guys for viewing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Beautiful little coaster and very well thought out. I'm looking forward to seeing it up and running. 

I hope you can fit a nice detailed station into that area, adding some other details like paths etc will just make this even better. :) 

#17 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Wait a sec... is this a launched woodie? That's pretty crazy. My only complaint is that the launch (?) has a huge straight spot. Teehee

Edited by SCM, 21 February 2017 - 09:27 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#18 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

Love this whole build so much! From the terrain to the track work everything is beautifully built! Now I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the braking system ;)

#19 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

Very cool ride. Great photos as well!

#20 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Beautiful little coaster and very well thought out. I'm looking forward to seeing it up and running. 
I hope you can fit a nice detailed station into that area, adding some other details like paths etc will just make this even better. :)

Ah, yes. Themeing will definitely be very important to this ride. I hope that it will be one of the most detailed rides I have ever made. So far, it is going well. I have created a checklist week-to-week to for what I need to get done so I can finish the physical build on time. Scroll further down and you'll see what I'm talking about ;)

Wait a sec... is this a launched woodie? That's pretty crazy. My only complaint is that the launch (?) has a huge straight spot. Teehee

It isn't a launched Woodie 😂 It just looks that way because I haven't put the chain on yet (still haven't) and I will put a chain dog on the last cart so it can get pushed over the curved crest. Thanks.

Love this whole build so much! From the terrain to the track work everything is beautifully built! Now I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the braking system ;)

Thank you. I have had the plan to implement Steel's brake system he had on clockwork (if that is okay?). It is very efficient and fits perfectly for how I am running the roller coaster. The terrain looks a little tacky right now so I am trying to get to that... Eventually I will replace every yellow rod with a granite so that it looks more uniform.

Very cool ride. Great photos as well!

Thanks King!

And thank you for all of the replies. I have a couple updates for you all.

I have been thinking about a name for a while and I've come up with a final name:

Xetron.

It fits perfectly for the project and it sounds cool either way.

The roller coaster has been moved to the Xetron campus (don't ask how, it was insane) and I have had 3 opportunities to work on it since then. What I have done is the entire layout, tubing is final except for a few parts for the center tubing. I created the motor setup for the station. The brake run and lifthill setups still have to be completed, although they won't take as long.

I really only have one picture, which I know is not something well documented... but I do have a test video. I think it will be enjoyed and I will tag it in here as well.

Attached File  20170323_204857.jpg   188.05KB   0 downloads

Video:

As you can see in the video, it skips through the brake run, I will actually have the brakes in the back side of the ride where you can't see them.

That should be everything (: Thank you for viewing!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ngc woodie, ss