Launched Invert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Okay, I have some explaining to do. I was losing a lot of interest in my previous build very quickly. After getting some advice from a few people including a fellow K'nex friend, I decided that if I am not having fun with it, I probably should not continue working on it. So, I have since then taken it down, tidied up my room a little, started this new build, and in doing so, soiled my relatively clean room quite a bit. Anyways, here is what I have so far for this new (supposed to be) B&M launched invert.

DSCN1598_zpsx8sycyqv.jpg

Here is the launch and part of the first element

DSCN1600_zpsqvkqeg0b.jpg

Here is an older image of the drop, I have since played around with it and made it look a bit nicer

DSCN1605_zps8okjw38h.jpg

DSCN1604_zpsfk4suiir.jpg

DSCN1606_zpsmupwiwd4.jpg

As of right now, I do not have a test video, and unfortunately probably will not for quite some time, due to the lack of large rubber bands. But, hopefully, you can get a pretty good idea from these few pictures. I am hoping to get the second half of the pretzel loop finished by tomorrow if not maybe Monday? Anyways, I always love to hear any feedback you have!

#2 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:59 AM

This looks great so far! I love the style of the first element- it's really unique. Only thing I would do differently is add a bit of a spine to your track as the fleck rods can be fairly weak on there own. Otherwise it's looking awesome! :)

#3 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:13 PM

How are your powering your launch? If you're going to attempt to just flip a jesper launch upside down, I can tell you from experience that it'll be more complicated than that. The chain dog on the train will have to be locked in position and you may need an active chain tensioner  

Your shaping is just so so. Its not necessarily rough it just doesn't look very "B&M" to me. Particularly the lack of heart lining going into the dive of the pretzel loop. B&M transitions also have a little more snap than what you have. As seen on Montu the track stays pretty level until it snaps and throws you over the top of the loop. The banking on your track changes very gradually and consistently over the entrance to the element. It should almost change at an exponential rate. 

http://vignette1.wik...20120623234028 

See what I mean? 

Lastly, the turn immediately off of your launch has zero banking. That'll make for crazy lateral g's. Unless that's what you want, increase it by 60-70 degrees. The entrance to that element is also really, really drawn out. Personally, I'd make it sharper, but that's up to you. 

#4 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

Looks good so far you base a very weak so I would expect you tubes to shake from all the force the train exerts on the structure provided by the launch. I would stop building the layout and get the launch working if I were you cause you wouldnt understand how much speed you need right now to make those elements so far with you using flex rods as the track spine too.

Edited by IOAgeek, 27 November 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#5 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

You've got a nice start on the tube supports, but some of them look really sketchy, particularly the horizontal one at the top of the A-frame that supports the barrel roll. I imagine a lot of the supports will end up wobbly unless you reinforce them.

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

The chain dog on the train will have to be locked in position and you may need an active chain tensioner

I think the chain dog could be fixed by putting a piece of scotch tape across the car to push the chain dog up. That's a good point about the chain tensioner though - it could be the reason we haven't seen many inverted launches.

I really like the concept of this ride! But I agree with everyone else - it would be wise to go back and revise some of the shaping (entrance to the dive loop) and strengthen your support base.

#7 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

I think the chain dog could be fixed by putting a piece of scotch tape across the car to push the chain dog up. That's a good point about the chain tensioner though - it could be the reason we haven't seen many inverted launches.
I really like the concept of this ride! But I agree with everyone else - it would be wise to go back and revise some of the shaping (entrance to the dive loop) and strengthen your support base.

It is also possible to keep a chain dog always upright by placing a rubber band around the chain dog and up and over the front of the car. I've done this in several of my coasters, it means the chain dog will always be up no matter what. A Jesper launch is possible upside down, it will just take a lot of adjusting to get right. I personally would like to see one. ;)

The shaping is pretty good. The heartlining looks like it could be revised a little bit and it seems very drawn out. But if that's what your going for than it looks great. After some tweaks I think it will look even better. And mad props for making not just an inverted tube coaster, but an inverted tube coaster. That will take some skill to pull off which I think you are more than capable enough of. ;)

Signature not available