• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 X7123M3-256

X7123M3-256

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

How are you able to build so much of the layout with no tubing on the track? Is this completely untested?

#22 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

*thinks of the hours of endless tubing*....
*fingers bleed*

This is looking impressive so far. I agree with what you said about the entrance/exit gaining height to quick - I think the peak of the turn should be slightly steeper than it is now. Kind of giving it an exponential curve look from the side whereas at the moment it looks a bit flat from the side view. Don't know if that made any sense lol...

#23 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

I feel like the turnaround is to flat and the top of it should be raiser up a bit. You need to do some tests next because you're getting to much track work done without knowing how far it makes it. Also, support the track a lot now, you need to save tons of speed for this coaster.

#24 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Huge knex hypercoasters are just breathtaking... I was gonna say your hills seemed tiny compared to the lift, and then I saw the real thing. All those trim brakes lol. I think the turnaround should be wider judging by this picture,

[big pic]

but you probably already knew that. Really nice work otherwise! You're pretty much almost done!

Thanks. :D The hills aren't actually that small. The second one is up to my nose I think.

How are you able to build so much of the layout with no tubing on the track? Is this completely untested?

I just enjoy building a lot and testing outside is such a pain because I need to add tubing and take it off every time. I'm getting better at judging what it will make and what it will need to get it working.

*thinks of the hours of endless tubing*....
*fingers bleed*

This is looking impressive so far. I agree with what you said about the entrance/exit gaining height to quick - I think the peak of the turn should be slightly steeper than it is now. Kind of giving it an exponential curve look from the side whereas at the moment it looks a bit flat from the side view. Don't know if that made any sense lol...

It does make sense but only because I'm thinking exactly the same thing ;) And yes. Pain. My iPad fingerprint recognition has started to not recognise my finger all the time.

I feel like the turnaround is to flat and the top of it should be raiser up a bit. You need to do some tests next because you're getting to much track work done without knowing how far it makes it. Also, support the track a lot now, you need to save tons of speed for this coaster.

Yeah. I'll fix the turnaround and strengthen the track before I do anything else for sure. I just wanted to get a base test done to see what needs fixing up. Thanks.

So I decided to do things a little differently this time in that it was a nice day and I just did a video instead. At least I can identify all the issues with the ride and focus on fixing them now. I'm pretty happy with where the train got to. Without a lot of track strengthening and full, rigid supporting, it made it a long way up the final hill after the turnaround where it stops so I'm confident that I can get this working. I want to keep the hills the same height since the scaling is reasonably close to the real thing.

I should also mention that these cars haven't been lubed or moved in at least 9 months so I'm really not too bothered about this decent performance.

Thanks for reading/watching (cookie if you make it to the end of my monologue :D)

• G Force likes this

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#25 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

I really love video updates like this, they remind me of the ones I used to do way back when. People should do them more. 

As far as the coaster goes, I love the pacing it has right now. It is super perfect, and I actually don't mind that the over bank slightly moves. I do think that the last hill you have built may be a bit pointy, which is fine because it looks like it needs to be lowered it seems. 

I really want to get back into building now.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#26 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Everything looks good to me, as I know you've got it covered... no doubt things will be getting back on track. WOO! You owe me 1 cookie. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#27 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

Looks really good and all but are your trains weighted fully and lubed? That's why strengthening your track is very important so you don't lose to much speed from a weighted train on points were a lot of force is exerted on the track. That hill may need to be lowered a blue rod or two, but I think you can make the layout without using a booster!

Edited by IOAgeek, 02 June 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#28 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Very nice! Flows very well and I'm sure it will make the hill after some strengthening and possibly a little extra weight on the train. Also I should be good to come over at some point next week if you wanted a hand with stuff, will PM you at some point.

#29 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Quite a difficult coaster to get correctly scaled due to the turn after the first drop, as it seems you're finding out here.  Coasters with high speed rising or falling turns have always been a killer for SS coasters.

Rest looks great as always, hopefully you're able to get the shaping and support problems worked out.

#30 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

I really love video updates like this, they remind me of the ones I used to do way back when. People should do them more.

As far as the coaster goes, I love the pacing it has right now. It is super perfect, and I actually don't mind that the over bank slightly moves. I do think that the last hill you have built may be a bit pointy, which is fine because it looks like it needs to be lowered it seems.

I really want to get back into building now.

Thanks. I had a little play about with it so it I don't think it's as sharp now. I just need a good free day to test it all.

Everything looks good to me, as I know you've got it covered... no doubt things will be getting back on track. WOO! You owe me 1 cookie.

1 cookie coming your way ;)

Looks really good and all but are your trains weighted fully and lubed? That's why strengthening your track is very important so you don't lose to much speed from a weighted train on points were a lot of force is exerted on the track. That hill may need to be lowered a blue rod or two, but I think you can make the layout without using a booster!

I don't think I've lubiricated that train since I used it on Thunder last year. I should probably do that soon enough. I've supported it a lot more now and the shake is much reduced at key points so I'm feeling good about the next test. Thanks.

Very nice! Flows very well and I'm sure it will make the hill after some strengthening and possibly a little extra weight on the train. Also I should be good to come over at some point next week if you wanted a hand with stuff, will PM you at some point.

Hmmmm. I don't know but feel like I've discussed these points with you recently. Hmmmmmmmmm ;)

Quite a difficult coaster to get correctly scaled due to the turn after the first drop, as it seems you're finding out here. Coasters with high speed rising or falling turns have always been a killer for SS coasters.
Rest looks great as always, hopefully you're able to get the shaping and support problems worked out.

Thanks. I'm just hoping this upward helix won't be too much of a pain as they so often are.

So I suppose I should post a little update now to keep things moving along. Aside from the little collapse, I've played about with some of the shaping. I think the turnaround looks better and I had a little speed to play about with so I made it a tiny bit taller. I've pre-built a few things already that I'll modify and put into the coaster when ready so more of it is built than is actually put together.

Attached File  IMG_0151.JPG   273.01KB   1 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0152.JPG   287.1KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0153.JPG   236.13KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0154.JPG   255.26KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0155.JPG   191.56KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0156.JPG   171.59KB   0 downloads

Not quite done with the bits after the MCBR. I have to see if it works first but it's still coming along. Thanks :D

Edited by CW5X, 13 June 2017 - 04:51 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#31 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Looks amazing so far! Hopefully the collapse isn't too much of an issue. I hope you can get a lot of speed out of the first half because that upward helix is going to kill speed. Also, does the timing of this mean there's going to be a second coaster from you this summer? Looking forward to the next test! :)

4 Windseekers and counting...

#32 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

This is looking fantastic as always, good sir! I can't wait to see the next test video!

#33 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Looks good so far, can we get a test video of the train making the layout so far, and fix the lift hill before you finish the rest of the layout as well.

#34 iggfish123

iggfish123

0+0=0

• 1158 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

You know its going well when it looks fantastic without the tubing.  Looks siiiiiiick.

FF.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/IggFish123

Nothing turns a girl on more than telling them you are in a company on K'nex website 

#35 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:38 AM

I should really check out the forums more often, because this looks incredible! It is great to see that someone finally has the skills, pieces, and space to recreate one of the most iconic rides of Europe! I always see Silverstar from the German Autobahn when we head for our vacation address in the German Black Forest. 

So far everything looks fantastic! I was actually surprised to see the train getting this far in the video, so I think that you will be alright. As you already pointed out yourself, the first turn could use some more track-to-base supports. Besides, the hill that the train could not clear in the video could be lowered a little without it being very noticable. Even when all these measures do not give the anticipated result, you could use a chain on the MCBR to give the train extra momentum for the final part of the coaster. It is not a very chic solution, but it could always be a Plan B. 

Great job! I look forward to the next update!

Posted Image

#36 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Looks amazing so far! Hopefully the collapse isn't too much of an issue. I hope you can get a lot of speed out of the first half because that upward helix is going to kill speed. Also, does the timing of this mean there's going to be a second coaster from you this summer? Looking forward to the next test! :)

There might be another coaster. Maybe something small for summer heat to add to the competition but more detailed (yeah right. I've said this before...) Thanks.

This is looking fantastic as always, good sir! I can't wait to see the next test video!

Thank you.

Looks good so far, can we get a test video of the train making the layout so far, and fix the lift hill before you finish the rest of the layout as well.

Done and done :D

You know its going well when it looks fantastic without the tubing.  Looks siiiiiiick.

I should really check out the forums more often, because this looks incredible! It is great to see that someone finally has the skills, pieces, and space to recreate one of the most iconic rides of Europe! I always see Silverstar from the German Autobahn when we head for our vacation address in the German Black Forest. 

So far everything looks fantastic! I was actually surprised to see the train getting this far in the video, so I think that you will be alright. As you already pointed out yourself, the first turn could use some more track-to-base supports. Besides, the hill that the train could not clear in the video could be lowered a little without it being very noticable. Even when all these measures do not give the anticipated result, you could use a chain on the MCBR to give the train extra momentum for the final part of the coaster. It is not a very chic solution, but it could always be a Plan B. 

Great job! I look forward to the next update!

I don't think I'll even need a chain there. It performs much better than expected up that point. After that needs a bit more support but it isn't too far away from making it either. Thank you.

So I have another test video for you. I might post some bonus pictures with the attached station tomorrow as well as I don't have time right now. I'm sure this will suffice ;)

I have no idea how that helix doesn't kill more speed even with the currently awful support. I can fix that this weekend though (Muzz?)

Thanks again.

Edit: Haha. Just seen the video thumbnail.

Edited by CW5X, 23 June 2017 - 06:38 PM.

Tyndrum

#37 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

That final hill was always going to be an ambitious attempt :P
I might be able to come round tomorrow to work on things for a few hours but will need to check.

#38 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

You have GOT to use that 12 car train, even if it's just for the ending credits or something. Can you direct me to the supernatural realm where you got that train from? It doesn't listen to friction... 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#39 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

I want to see it run with a train long enough to cover every point of the helix :P. It probably would not even make it there but it would be hilarious. 

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#40 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Looks good so far, the speed is pretty nice through the layout. I like the 7 car train as well. Just make sure you support that upward helix so you have enough speed to make it back to the break run still. Is the train fully weighted btw?

Edited by IOAgeek, 25 June 2017 - 08:44 PM.