• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

This is a wooden coaster that i have started and hope to complete before new years. It will definitely get decorated when complete. It is 7 blue rods tall and I am using the table like thing to save pieces as I do not have many.

IMG_1037_zpsqi8fdpxn.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsbrmikoud.jpg

Edited by iAClipse, 04 January 2017 - 08:30 PM.

msg-834-0-23642600-1483480744.jpg

~Thanks Steel~

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:54 AM

Nothing wrong with using a good old table :D Hopefully you'll have enough pieces to make a decent layout. That lift hill does look pretty neat though as a starter.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

I have no complaints here, this is looking good! I'm concerned, I guess is the word, about the positioning of the top red gears. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

I'm concerned, I guess is the word, about the positioning of the top red gears. 

I agree, it looks like the chain's probably gonna end up getting caught on the middle tubing at the bottom of the lift.

#5 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Nothing wrong with using a good old table :D Hopefully you'll have enough pieces to make a decent layout. That lift hill does look pretty neat though as a starter.

Yeah I am hoping I have enough as well, and thank you!

I have no complaints here, this is looking good! I'm concerned, I guess is the word, about the positioning of the top red gears. 

Yes I have since moved the gears so the chain runs well.

I agree, it looks like the chain's probably gonna end up getting caught on the middle tubing at the bottom of the lift.

Yes it was, so i lifted both sets of gears up and it runs well now.

I have fixed the gears and added the chain so that it runs well. I have also added on a turn and the first drop. Let me know if there is anything I can change to make it better. Also i am still undecided on a 2 or 3 car train. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_1042_zpsjxo64dlh.jpg

IMG_1043_zps1nfgwjbm.jpg

IMG_1045_zpsv6ohl4yo.jpg

IMG_1044_zpspxbkzcln.jpg

IMG_1047_zpsda9agiid.jpg

~Thanks Steel~

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

Welcome to SSC!

Yeah, I generally put the gears inside the track like this to avoid putting stress on the chain links:
Spoiler

I like what you have so far, and I can't wait to see it decorated! Oasis was a very similar ride and it was one of my first inspirations to take KNex to the next level.

EDIT: Ah, you posted right before I did. Fantastic job so far - the trackwork is very neat and tidy with perfectly layered flexi rods. I'd go with 3 cars, 2 has always looked like a blitzcoaster train to me.

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

You have an excellent grasp of making track smooth I have to say. I'd probably go for the 3 car train as it's closer to what a real wooden coaster might have but then again, it will change the pacing so you could probably hold off making that decision just now. Good stuff. :D

Edited by CW5X, 22 December 2016 - 12:04 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#8 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

I don't see any advantages to having only 2 cars, so definitely go with 3.

#9 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

This looks great! Personally, I would probably want to use 3 cars, but like CW5X said, it might be a good idea to hold off until you finish it and you are able to figure out the pacing. But this looks really, really good, and I can't wait to see the next update!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 22 December 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#10 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

Welcome to SSC!

Yeah, I generally put the gears inside the track like this to avoid putting stress on the chain links:

Spoiler

I like what you have so far, and I can't wait to see it decorated! Oasis was a very similar ride and it was one of my first inspirations to take KNex to the next level.

EDIT: Ah, you posted right before I did. Fantastic job so far - the trackwork is very neat and tidy with perfectly layered flexi rods. I'd go with 3 cars, 2 has always looked like a blitzcoaster train to me.

Haha, guess i beat you to the punch. Thanks, and yeah 3 seems to look and work better.

You have an excellent grasp of making track smooth I have to say. I'd probably go for the 3 car train as it's closer to what a real wooden coaster might have but then again, it will change the pacing so you could probably hold off making that decision just now. Good stuff. :D

Thank you! Yeah 3 cars is better as well as two cars does not make the second hill.

I don't see any advantages to having only 2 cars, so definitely go with 3.

Yeah 3 is definitely better, thanks.

This looks great! Personally, I would probably want to use 3 cars, but like CW5X said, it might be a good idea to hold off until you finish it and you are able to figure out the pacing. But this looks really, really good, and I can't wait to see the next update!

Thank you! Yeah 3 cars is better. Thanks again and here it is!

So i have decided on a 3 car train. I have added two hills and it makes both of them. I am still undecided on what to do next and open to suggestions. i was possibly thinking of getting rid of the air hill and instead creating a bulls-eye. Let me know what all of you think would look better.

IMG_1049_zps4o2grg7k.jpg

IMG_1050_zps5cfvsjij.jpg

IMG_1051_zpsmrnud2os.jpg

Also I have started to theme a little by adding this tree I do have smaller ones if it seems too large.

IMG_1052_zpsqxnfixgv.jpg

~Thanks Steel~

#11 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

Wow. You sure are a fast builder. The tree seems kinda big IMO, but it might work out. I see another project in the background. ;) 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#12 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Wow. You sure are a fast builder. The tree seems kinda big IMO, but it might work out. I see another project in the background. ;)

Yeah I tend to build quick when I have the motivation and the time. Yeah i am gonna go with the two smaller trees instead. That is actually an old project from a Rube Goldberg machine I made for physics that I have not finished taking down.

My Christmas was very amazing and hanging out with family was a lot of fun so i didn't have much time for building.

I kinda made all of this from 10pm last night until 3am today.

So a kinda HUGE update.

I have changed everything except for the lift hill.

I do need some help though I cannot tell if it is the pull in or pull out that is too small or maybe it is fine. 

So i have made it a big drop into a hill and drop turn. 

Afterwards has a hill. 

I have already formed the next element that will go after the hill.

Here are the pics!

Attached File  DSC_0070.JPG   155.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0071.JPG   144.47KB   0 downloads

Here is where i can't tell whether it is the pull in or pull out that is too small.

Attached File  DSC_0075.JPG   110.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0076.JPG   129.12KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0077.JPG   143.16KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0078.JPG   104.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0079.JPG   96.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0081.JPG   100.76KB   0 downloads

Please Comment it keeps me motivated and encourages me to build  :D !

Edited by iAClipse, 27 December 2016 - 04:38 PM.

~Thanks Steel~

#13 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

This is fantastic! I was kind of hoping to see some kind of a banked turn sort of element, but I wasn't sure exactly what to say to explain it lol. But either way, it's looking great! To me, it looks like it's the pull in on that first hill that looks slightly too sharp - just slightly. I'm so excited to see what you will show us next!

#14 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

That buckel is looking HOT, even without tubing. The pullout is a good size. However, the downwards curve does seem to have some minor inconsistencies. No biggie, though. Just thought I'd point them out. :)

Edit: 

iAhelp

I'm just saying that this looks kinda straight from this angle. It's a subtle change, but it would make it look a bit better. 

Edited by SCM, 27 December 2016 - 09:26 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#15 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

This is looking great! Especially in the small time frame. The buckle looks good so far. I can't wait too see how this is going to turn out. 

How do you build a coaster?

#16 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

This is fantastic! I was kind of hoping to see some kind of a banked turn sort of element, but I wasn't sure exactly what to say to explain it lol. But either way, it's looking great! To me, it looks like it's the pull in on that first hill that looks slightly too sharp - just slightly. I'm so excited to see what you will show us Next!

Thank you! Yeah i fixed the pull in so it is smoother now.

That buckel is looking HOT, even without tubing. The pullout is a good size. However, the downwards curve does seem to have some minor inconsistencies. No biggie, though. Just thought I'd point them out. :)

Edit: 

I'm just saying that this looks kinda straight from this angle. It's a subtle change, but it would make it look a bit better. 

Thanks haha! i see what you mean but from all other angles it doesn't seem straight and trying to change that is kinda difficult.

This is looking great! Especially in the small time frame. The buckle looks good so far. I can't wait too see how this is going to turn out. 

Thanks! yeah i am hoping to complete it by new years! 

Okay so when i added the buckle the train didn't quite make it so i had to take the buckle apart and shorten it slightly. IMO it actually looks better now than it did before. But it still would not make it with the 3 car train so i am actually going to use a 4 car train for this ride as with a 4 car train it was able to make it through the buckle.

For my plans for the rest of the layout I plan to make 1 or 2 small little hills then into a station and finally add the prelift. I don't have access to Photoshop at the moment is it possible someone could make me a logo for the Ride? 

I will likely start adding themeing before the next update as there is not much coaster left to build from here.

Anyways here are the pics!

Attached File  DSC_0082.JPG   169.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0084.JPG   139.28KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0086.JPG   163.09KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0089.JPG   112.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0091.JPG   101.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0095.JPG   108.59KB   0 downloads

Please Comment it really keeps me going!

~Thanks Steel~

#17 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

I like the subtle buckel. I'll be waiting for some themeing. ;) 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#18 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:18 AM

Have you weighted and lubricated your train? If not, you should - it will give you a lot more speed to work with. Anyway, the shaping looks fantastic. What did you have in mind for the logo? I could whip one up in the next few days.

#19 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:01 AM

I like the subtle buckel. I'll be waiting for some themeing. ;)

Thanks I wish it could be bigger but sadly it can't. And don't worry the themeing is Underway.

Have you weighted and lubricated your train? If not, you should - it will give you a lot more speed to work with. Anyway, the shaping looks fantastic. What did you have in mind for the logo? I could whip one up in the next few days.

I have not weighted or lubed my trains. How do you lube them? OMG thank you, coming from you that just makes me feel really happy and proud of my work! Thank you for the offer but SCM has already said he will make me one.

So just a verbal update since it is 4am and I don't feel like taking pictures.

I have started the station and added some themeing but I wanted suggestions on what to do for the prelift I thought you guys might have Some ideas I could use.
Anyways not much else to say except thanks for commenting and helping me through this. Without you guys I may never have completed this coaster, which it will be very very soon. (Comments really motivate me to build fast and often)

Edited by iAClipse, 29 December 2016 - 04:02 AM.

~Thanks Steel~

#20 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=44KjiRmys2A

That video will help you with lubing the train. For weighting, I personally use batteries that are held down by rubber bands fastened in a criss-cross motion. Just don't add too much weight. Also, your logo is ready. If you don't like it, no worries, it's cool. (H)

Spoiler

Edited by SCM, 29 December 2016 - 09:55 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wooden coaster, winter