You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hey, I made a thing.

Attached File  IMG_20161229_082049.jpg   267.64KB   4 downloads
Attached File  IMG_20161229_081925.jpg   266.1KB   4 downloads

#2 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

This is going to be a fun recreation. I can't wait to see you use your black magic to make the reverse section happen... Good luck.

Edited by Spaghetti, 30 December 2016 - 01:35 PM.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

If this IS a recreation, then I'm stoked on how the terrain and scenery will look. No doubt this is going to come with some insane automation of some sort, and micro chain. I should look into using micro chain. 

Edit: (video below) Shaky hands? This is why I never let Evil Wells film. ;)

Edited by SCM, 30 December 2016 - 08:25 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

Don't forget bird on a stick!

https://youtu.be/KgNAbq1nmYc?t=1m43s

#5 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

What are you gonna use as your control system? Does the NXT have enough I/O or will you need an arduino or pi? 

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

What are you gonna use as your control system? Does the NXT have enough I/O or will you need an arduino or pi?

The NXT doesn't have nearly enough I/O, so I'll be using an Arduino Uno. I think I'll need 4 inputs and 7 outputs for the entire ride.

Don't forget bird on a stick!
https://youtu.be/KgNAbq1nmYc?t=1m43s

wat the heck

If this IS a recreation, then I'm stoked on how the terrain and scenery will look. No doubt this is going to come with some insane automation of some sort, and micro chain. I should look into using micro chain. 
Edit: (video below) Shaky hands? This is why I never let Evil Wells film. ;)

Of course it's a recreation! I met a guy who does model trains, and he showed me how to do realistic rockwork. Plus, my friend in Art & Design is gonna help with the theming.

. . .

I made a SolidWorks model of the mountain using photogrammetry from Google Earth. You go into Google Earth, take a bunch of screenshots from different angles around the object, and use Autodesk ReMake to compile a 3D model from the screenshots. This way I can design the supports, check that the ride is built to scale, and make sure the mountain is the right shape.

Attached File  1.PNG   1.06MB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.PNG   1.83MB   0 downloadsAttached File  3.PNG   1.27MB   0 downloads

I also built the indoor helix and the chain drive for switchtrack A. It's hard to judge the speed until I get the chain drive working, so I'm guessing for now.

Attached File  IMG_20170101_160023.jpg   321.93KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170101_160152.jpg   214.51KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170101_160501.jpg   161.99KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170101_160645.jpg   198.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170101_160747.jpg   233.71KB   0 downloads

~Steel

#7 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Awwww man, I'm so pumped for this! This is looking fantastic so far! From the looks of things, you have set yourself up to absolutely nail the crap out of this build!

#8 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

I love how you did the 3D model!  Looking foward to see the progress of this, especially how the rock work/theming turns out.

Check me out

Youtube

#9 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Have to agree with Zorn - the computer model is awesome!
This is going to be a really interesting and unique build, especially since you're going to use an Arduino board for it (I'm using one with Knex for a school project this year). Good luck with this, I can't wait to see the finished coaster! :)

Edited by Muzz135, 01 January 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#10 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

This looks so awesome! One thing i'm wondering about though is how will you be able to see the track? Most of the coaster is inside the mountain, I guess you could always open up one part of the mountain to be able to see it. I'm super excited to see how this goes though!

#11 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

wat the heck

'Bird on a stick' is the animatronic bird at the top of the ride. I thought it would be amusing if you made one and put it on the ride, "for realism purposes."  :P Seriously though, I'm a huge fan of how you've gone above and beyond in making the 3D model as a reference. The only concern I have here is that the ride doesn't look like it's tall enough to get the necessary speed to complete the full circuit.

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

I can't wait to see how this turns out. My grandad did a few big train sets (taking up entire basements and such like) with insane mountains and theming. I even got to go round to this rich guys place where he was building a multi-layered one for him and it was so awesome. I still have tapes of his old one which is unfortunately gone now but if your friends can theme anything like he could, this is going to be incredible.

Edited by CW5X, 02 January 2017 - 07:40 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#13 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Loos awesome so far, I love this ride a lot! I would just say support the track a little bit more and youre good! Cant wait for the theming and terrain to be added soon!

Edited by IOAgeek, 04 January 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#14 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

This looks so awesome! One thing i'm wondering about though is how will you be able to see the track? Most of the coaster is inside the mountain, I guess you could always open up one part of the mountain to be able to see it. I'm super excited to see how this goes though!

I'll keep the backside of the mountain open so you can see inside. I might even put some lighting inside if I get around to it.

'Bird on a stick' is the animatronic bird at the top of the ride. I thought it would be amusing if you made one and put it on the ride, "for realism purposes."  :P Seriously though, I'm a huge fan of how you've gone above and beyond in making the 3D model as a reference. The only concern I have here is that the ride doesn't look like it's tall enough to get the necessary speed to complete the full circuit.

Haha, I'll consider adding bird-on-a-stick! I'm not sure that I'll have enough speed for the double helix toward the end of the ride, but we'll see once I get to that part of the layout.

Loos awesome so far, I love this ride a lot! I would just say support the track a little bit more and youre good! Cant wait for the theming and terrain to be added soon!

Ok, I'll be adding more track-to-support connections next time I work on this.

Attached File  DSC07785.JPG   133.45KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSC07783.JPG   175.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSC07780.JPG   138.22KB   0 downloads

Sorry if this update video is a bit corny :P

#15 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Nice work on the track switch. Will you be motorizing it and programming the whole thing to work on its own? That would make this build fantastic! 

How do you build a coaster?

#16 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

The amount of effort you're putting into making this, especially going to the extreme by using 3D software, is quite admirable. This is looking fantastic, and it's only the beginning. Why does the train sound so weird? 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#17 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, the train does sound kind of odd, but it certainly is looking great so far! I've wanted to see this build for quite some time and I am so excited to see that someone is doing it!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 08 January 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#18 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

This looks very good and you've got nice speed through what you have built so far.
My only suggestion is for the turning part of the switch track - rather than using a regular loose cross tie I would use the ones you had on clockwork (where you had cut off the bottom to allow enough space for the train to pass under). That way you could use two or three of them in the middle of the turn which would smooth it out and strengthen it.
Otherwise amazing! Looking forward to the next update :)

Edited by Muzz135, 07 January 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#19 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

I like it so far I, cant wait for the automation dont know if your trains are weighted or not but I think you need to or add an extra car so you can clear the backwards part. Why does the first a white snowflake on the switch track not use the top part of the connector, does it have a purpose or something? How does the train release from the chain for the backwards part btw? Make sure the broken track area is realistic too, but I am sure youll fix it when you add more to the mountain. You may have to make the coaster a gray rod or so taller so you can clear that upwards helix which will take some speed coming up soon.

Edited by IOAgeek, 07 January 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#20 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

Great work on the switch, you must be looking forward to automating this ride. The theming can be a pitfall (as said before, the theming could hide the track too much) and an enormous opportunity at the same time, but I am sure that you know what you are doing, especially since you are using 3D software and such. :)

Posted Image