Vertical Switch Track Coaster - The Magneto Effect (Final Video)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

And can anyone offer some help for the catch mechanism on the switch track? 

Do lots of experimenting until you find one that works! And don't be afraid to modify pieces if you need to. One option is to use a gray 1-rod connector. Cut the material at the top that forms the hole (I used gardening clippers), and you can wedge it around one of the chain links. The rubber band makes the connector latch onto the car. It's not the most reliable, but it works!

The second connector sticking out stops the train from going too far.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   520.31KB   0 downloads

#22 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

I personally find that toenail clippers work as if they were designed for cutting Knex pieces.

Cutting pieces is very crtitcal doesn't really take anything anyway from your collection. When you're done with the piece (as in, when you tear down your model), I'd keep it around in a drawer or bucket of other cut pieces. I find it's helpful having a random collection of pieces when I'm working on an innovation.

Edited by RollerManiac, 11 February 2017 - 07:27 PM.

Formally RK500

#23 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

Are you cars lubed cause they seem a little loud in the video but maybe that's just me? I would look at that deja vu recreation and see how he did it or put a small black connector on the chain and see if the train catches onto that. I use sometimes them to push the train out of the station towards the lift. You ma alsoy want to add an other car to give you that speed to make the next elements. The dive loop looks great btw!

Yeah, I'd just cleaned them. :/ Maybe, I'm just used to the speed loss from working with 4/5 car trains and didn't anticipate the difference when using a 2 car train. 

Do lots of experimenting until you find one that works! And don't be afraid to modify pieces if you need to. One option is to use a gray 1-rod connector. Cut the material at the top that forms the hole (I used gardening clippers), and you can wedge it around one of the chain links. The rubber band makes the connector latch onto the car. It's not the most reliable, but it works!

The second connector sticking out stops the train from going too far.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I've tried that, but I couldn't get it to work consistently, the chain kept jamming. But once I get chance I'll keep trying. 

I personally find that toenail clippers work as if they were designed for cutting Knex pieces.

Cutting pieces is very crtitcal doesn't really take anything anyway from your collection. When you're done with the piece (as in, when you tear down your model), I'd keep it around in a drawer or bucket of other cut pieces. I find it's helpful having a random collection of pieces when I'm working on an innovation.

I found some chunky pliers that did the job. 

Quickly put together a test video. - https://www.youtube....h?v=dRwX069qJsQ

The layout won't be quite as long as I had originally planned due to lack of speed, but I think its looking alright at the moment. 

The Vertical switch track, is the main issue currently.

Ideally it would be better to have some form of catch and release mechanism but I'm having trouble creating one which works consistently. Moreover, for the train to catch onto the "catch car" it requires more momentum and I'm struggling for speed as it is. I'm not convinced that the speed gained from releasing the train rather than the nxt motor directly pulling it down is worth lowering the switch tracks position.

And finally, a 2 car train makes the switch track inconsistently but is light enough for the NXT motor to pull it up, whereas a 3 car train makes the switch track relatively comfortably but the motor is unable to pull it up at the moment. I'll work on strengthening the position of the cogs wheels, as a lot of pressure is being applied to the top one, maybe that will help. 

Not sure when the next chance I'll have to update will be now. But I will as soon as I can. 

I'm also considering using my switch track mechanism in another coaster, but as a standard switch track, not vertical ( that should be more straight forward). Since my last terrain coaster was well received I've been designing another one, for a different site in the garden. I'd love to make one with tube supports but I don't think I'll have the time for that, so instead I'll hopefully be building an RMC style coaster this Summer.  

Edited by rgarner42, 02 March 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#24 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

I like the layout so far, when you're releasing the train off the chain, program the NXT motor to run at full speed so you can get as much of a push from the chain release as possible, that could do the trick.

Edited by IOAgeek, 03 March 2017 - 12:17 AM.

#25 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

I like the layout, but I'm worried about that speed loss on the vertical switch track.

#26 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

I was home for the weekend so managed to get a bit more done.

The track work is nearly done, but I think I'll lower the switch track slightly to get it working more consistently. Then I just need to build the tilt track to get the trains pointing back in the right direction.

The layout isn't as long as I had originally wanted but I'm quite happy with it now.

IMG_4678_zpsrr869mnu.jpg

IMG_4682_zpsuabxom3v.jpg

IMG_4692_zpsxarpqg65.jpg

IMG_4683_zpslzflsa3s.jpg

IMG_4690_zpshqytsqoi.jpg

I'm not sure when I'll have the final video done, maybe during Easter but more likely at the start of Summer. It's going to be a pain to move outside,  the track crosses over itself a lot so it won't be as easy to cut into chunks to transport. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

#27 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Wow that's looking nice. Can't wait to see it done!

#28 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

I like the layout can we see a test video of it when its working? I would say get rid of that last gray rod support right before the brake run and change it to a small tube support, it will look a little more realistic there. You can always add one before that tube support too with a granite rod height it looks like. When moving a coaster with cross over sections just cut around the area of the cross over and leave the track the way it is, it will be much easier to connect it back together outside.

Edited by IOAgeek, 21 March 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#29 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

This is dope! I'm really impressed with the layout you've created after the spike since there doesn't seem to be too much speed from that height. Smooth shaping as well! (Sorry if this is a lame comment, this is my first comment in ages haha)

Posted Image

#30 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

This is seriously good. It's a unique element but it fits in so well without breaking up the layout completely. I really like this.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#31 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

Wow that's looking nice. Can't wait to see it done!

Thanks! 

I like the layout can we see a test video of it when its working? I would say get rid of that last gray rod support right before the brake run and change it to a small tube support, it will look a little more realistic there. You can always add one before that tube support too with a granite rod height it looks like. When moving a coaster with cross over sections just cut around the area of the cross over and leave the track the way it is, it will be much easier to connect it back together outside.

Yep, I've made another quick test video. 

I will, there's still some work to be done on the track towards the end, I was just focusing on getting the switch track working consistently. 

This is dope! I'm really impressed with the layout you've created after the spike since there doesn't seem to be too much speed from that height. Smooth shaping as well! (Sorry if this is a lame comment, this is my first comment in ages haha)

This is seriously good. It's a unique element but it fits in so well without breaking up the layout completely. I really like this.

Thanks!

Not much change to the track itself so no pictures.

I've had to lower the switch track to get it working consistently. 3 cars was too much for the NXT motor to pull up vertically. Still a little bit of tweaking to be done getting the program right, as you can see in the test video the train can be pulled too far up the track but that's an easy fix.

Hopefully I'll have a complete circuit soon.

Test Video -   

EDIT: can anyone suggest any decent, cheap cameras to record a POV?

Edited by rgarner42, 19 April 2017 - 06:08 PM.

#32 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

The circuit is complete. 

Here are a few grainy photos: 

IMG_20170421_111311781_zpspvrcybic.jpg

IMG_20170421_111328249_zpso7cawsyu.jpg

IMG_20170421_111241031_HDR_zpswile1y7d.j

IMG_20170421_111150716_zps7yl4lszt.jpg

IMG_20170421_111120218_zpszkymlq6c.jpg

IMG_20170421_111413678_zpsfidzyrd3.jpg

IMG_20170421_111502802_zpsbywrdtqm.jpg

IMG_20170421_111752886_zpsz513gnob.jpg

IMG_20170421_111048619_zpsa7tcpb8f.jpg

#WhatsInTheShed

Can anyone suggest a camera I can use to record a POV?

Final Video will be sometime though. I don't really have the time to set it up outside until July, so I'll just have to be patient. 

#33 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Wow, this is really looking sexy! You've done a great job with super smoothing the track and this is definitely a more unique model. That station area is fantastic and I really like how the plaza goes underneath the lift. (H)

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#34 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

Nice! It's always great to see innovation like this, and even better when it's coupled with a good-looking layout too.

Makes me want to see it done in real life...

As for POV cameras, I came across this the other day:

Amazon.com: Hot Wheels Video Racer Micro Camera Car - Red: Toys & Games

It's actually designed with aerodynamics in mind so shouldn't have too much of an effect on speed, like larger, heavier cameras can when filming POVs. Apparently the quality's surprisingly good for the price too?

It's a bit of a shame there's not much after the last switch track section, but either way the question still remains:

#Whatsintheshed?

Edited by Batwing, 23 April 2017 - 11:02 AM.

Posted Image

#35 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

Looks great, I like the layout a lot! Why don't you set it up outside now, so you can build a new coaster over the summer??

#36 christian

christian

Lead Engineer

• 1662 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Nice job! I love seeing unique layouts/tracks every once in awhile.

#37 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

That's unfortunate you can't set it up outside until July. The vertical switch track is ill, and nice shed lol.

#38 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for all your comments. :) 

My third year of uni finally ended this week, and I've been busy painstakingly cutting the track into segments to take outside. 

Attached File  IMG_5535.JPG   163.56KB   1 downloads

Hopefully the weather will be okay for the next few days and I can get it set up and filmed. 

I'm still hoping to make something else this Summer, time and weather permitting. 

#39 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Looks amazing! Although I'm still curious...

#whatsintheshed

4 Windseekers and counting...

#40 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Looks amazing! Although I'm still curious...

#whatsintheshed

Nothing particularly exciting just a tilt track. But I couldn't resist the hashtag. 

Outside and back in one piece. 

Attached File  thumb_P1000198_1024.jpg   459.93KB   0 downloads

Attached File  thumb_P1000349_1024.jpg   191.89KB   0 downloads