Vertical Switch Track Coaster - The Magneto Effect (Final Video)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

First of all, Happy New Year everyone!

After k'nexing myself out over the Summer I'm ready to start a new project, a B&M flyer.

I've wanted to build a flying/inverted coaster for some time and noticed a lack of good tube supported ones, some I hope I can add to that short list. I haven't had much time to make progress over Christmas so I've only managed to put up the lift, and can already see it's going to be a lot harder supporting this. I've got the worst bit out the way now, I hate building lift hills, so it should be more enjoyable from this point onwards.  

I have rough idea of the layout and have an interesting first drop planned. The next update may be sometime however, as up until the start of July I'll only have the odd weekend free. 

I would have made a sleeker lift hill but I was thinking about how easily the sections could be cut up and taken outside when I set up the final model. So the lift hill is a bit chunky, but its sturdy enough. And there are still a few more details to be added, catwalks etc. 

Attached File  IMG_20170101_150653647.jpg   136.45KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170101_150731895.jpg   184.89KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170101_150845859.jpg   124.3KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170101_150630466.jpg   182.61KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170101_150619248.jpg   175.83KB   1 downloads

Edited by rgarner42, 04 July 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#2 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Oh boy, that's a very tall lift. I hope you include some elements from Flying Dinosaur, like that fly-to-lie zero-g roll!

#3 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

This is going to be really cool! It looks like you have a really nice, sturdy lift, and I know for a fact that you are capable of building an astonishing build. I can't wait to see what you have in store!

#4 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

I agree with st33l - the 540* roll would be really cool!
Lift looks great so far and I can relate to you making the lift in a way that's easy to move (having spent so much time working with Chris and his massive builds) it'll just make everything that bit easier. Looking forward to seeing what comes next! :)

#5 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Good to see that carpet as it means you're building again. :D This looks like it's going to be another great build from you.

Edit: Oh yeah. Building stuff in a way so that can move it around more easily is a bit of a pain.

Edited by CW5X, 02 January 2017 - 07:36 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#6 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

I like the start so far, the middle tube on the lit hill is going forwards a little bit, so straighten that out and you'll be fine for now! I cant wait for the updates, maybe a six car train? Use that Tastu recreation for help btw.

Edited by IOAgeek, 04 January 2017 - 12:38 AM.

#7 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Oh boy, that's a very tall lift. I hope you include some elements from Flying Dinosaur, like that fly-to-lie zero-g roll!

This is going to be really cool! It looks like you have a really nice, sturdy lift, and I know for a fact that you are capable of building an astonishing build. I can't wait to see what you have in store!

I agree with st33l - the 540* roll would be really cool!
Lift looks great so far and I can relate to you making the lift in a way that's easy to move (having spent so much time working with Chris and his massive builds) it'll just make everything that bit easier. Looking forward to seeing what comes next! :)

Good to see that carpet as it means you're building again. :D This looks like it's going to be another great build from you.

Edit: Oh yeah. Building stuff in a way so that can move it around more easily is a bit of a pain.

I like the start so far, the middle tube on the lit hill is going forwards a little bit, so straighten that out and you'll be fine for now! I cant wait for the updates, maybe a six car train? Use that Tastu recreation for help btw.

Thanks for the comments. I was planning a 540* roll. But as sometimes happens when you can only build occasionally I've had another idea for a coaster, and one that I couldn't wait to try out during my week off ( well I should be doing a research project but...)

Hopefully I'll have enough pieces to keep the lift up, cause it was a pain to build, and I can come back to it later.

This coaster will feature two sections, one forwards, one backwards, split up by a vertical switch track. So far I've built the vertical switch track (as I wanted to see if I could get it to work before I got too carried away), the tower that it sits atop and the entry into the switch track. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but the track work is not final. This evening I hope to get the exit track complete and then I'll go from there. 

IMG_4462_zpszcksa5qi.jpg

IMG_4464_zpshahsip51.jpg

IMG_4466_zps8mk04y37.jpg

IMG_4460_zpscglmlar9.jpg

As you can see from this video -  https://www.youtube....h?v=cty3PdJXF-o   -  the switch track works, but it may still prove a pain to get working consistently, especially getting the sensor to pick up on the train going past to start the programme. 

Edited by rgarner42, 30 January 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#8 dgohstand

dgohstand

Construction Foreman

• 198 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

So I assume your not using the lift you created earlier in this thread? Or are these pieces going to be on the same coaster. Also, are you going to build another switch track or use a different to get the train back into a forwards direction. What you have looks pretty good though! Keep it up! 

How do you build a coaster?

#9 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

Your inspiration?

Or does this already exist on a real-life coaster that I don't know of?

#10 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

^ The vertical switch track doesn't exist in real life yet. That's also not the only NoLimits coaster I've seen with one either.

I like that you are going for this. If I may recommend, one way your could clean it up better would be to put the rails for the switch track on the main structure and the wheels on the movable platform. Then you won't get that overhang on the sides.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#11 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

This is such an awesome concept! Props for attempting it, and it looks like your design should work really well. Is there any way you could release the train by going up and dropping it, instead of having to power the motor backwards? It seems like the chain dog might automatically disconnect itself once it gets to the top of the chain. Or you could use a connector on the chain that grabs the car and releases it at the top, like this.

#12 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

So I assume your not using the lift you created earlier in this thread? Or are these pieces going to be on the same coaster. Also, are you going to build another switch track or use a different to get the train back into a forwards direction. What you have looks pretty good though! Keep it up! 

Yeah, just haven't dismantled it yet. I haven't thought that far ahead yet, but it will need to be a much simpler method. I only have the one NXT brick and I'm not clever enough to work out how to automate stuff without it!

Your inspiration?

Or does this already exist on a real-life coaster that I don't know of?

I'd like to be able to claim it was a completely original idea, but that was my inspiration. And I think this coaster will have a similar theme. 

^ The vertical switch track doesn't exist in real life yet. That's also not the only NoLimits coaster I've seen with one either.

I like that you are going for this. If I may recommend, one way your could clean it up better would be to put the rails for the switch track on the main structure and the wheels on the movable platform. Then you won't get that overhang on the sides.

I can see what you mean, but as I've got it working pretty smoothly now I'm not going to change it. If someone else attempts this in the future they can try that method, but I think it would be much trickier to get right. Although I might make the structure at the top a bit wider to minimise the overhang. 

This is such an awesome concept! Props for attempting it, and it looks like your design should work really well. Is there any way you could release the train by going up and dropping it, instead of having to power the motor backwards? It seems like the chain dog might automatically disconnect itself once it gets to the top of the chain. Or you could use a connector on the chain that grabs the car and releases it at the top, like this.

Thanks!

I thought about that. Currently I'm losing a lot of height having the chain pull the car down, so I'm concerned I won't get the speed I need to complete the layout I want.  The reason it's currently like that is that I've fixed the chain dog outwards so it will attach to the vertical chain, but if you have a method that would avoid that, then great. 

What exactly did you use on the chain to get the train to catch on it?  

Made a little more progress, and will be able to start with that rest of the layout now I know the switch track works. Hopefully updates will come thick and fast. 

Also I plan to do a POV of this coaster, any suggestions for what works well?

IMG_4487_zps2djqvnss.jpg

IMG_4485_zpsupmoanmi.jpg

IMG_4481_zpsgkogt7fa.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=d6LvJLsBn-o - updated test video. 

#13 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Looks pretty cool from what I can tell, I wish you did the flyer cause that lift hill looks so cool! Maybe you can build that coaster over the summer. The train's catch car looks like its hits the chain on its way down which will lose some sped into the elements. I would make the lead car go up the chain to the top of the gear so it can release without the catch car hooking onto the chain when it goes downwards, similarly to the deja vu recreation.

Edited by IOAgeek, 01 February 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#14 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

Argh I love this! I'm trying to get into more automated/complicated side of K'nex coasters and this is really inspiring to me.

On the topic of releasing the train from the chain: if you had something that would engage and disengage the drive motor from the chain to have it freely roll back without it being powered it would be a lot more efficient. Or you could gear up the motor so that the chain moves faster than the force of gravity, similar to how Tower Of Terror at the Disney parks works.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#15 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

Looks pretty cool from what I can tell, I wish you did the flyer cause that lift hill looks so cool! Maybe you can build that coaster over the summer. The train's catch car looks like its hits the chain on its way down which will lose some sped into the elements. I would make the lead car go up the chain to the top of the gear so it can release without the catch car hooking onto the chain when it goes downwards, similarly to the deja vu recreation.

I know, if I have time over the Summer that's what I'll do. 

I'll work on that when I get up to that point in the layout, but it seems like a much better system than what I've got now. 

Argh I love this! I'm trying to get into more automated/complicated side of K'nex coasters and this is really inspiring to me.

On the topic of releasing the train from the chain: if you had something that would engage and disengage the drive motor from the chain to have it freely roll back without it being powered it would be a lot more efficient. Or you could gear up the motor so that the chain moves faster than the force of gravity, similar to how Tower Of Terror at the Disney parks works.

Thanks! this is the first thing like this I've managed to make work, I often have ambitious ideas of launches etc but they've always failed before. Its nice to get something right. But I have to give the NXT most of the credit :P

That was my original plan; to have a gear engage and disengage the drive. Unfortunately all of the drive system for the chain on the switch track, has to be in front of the moving panel. So there's no space and it would probably be too heavy. 

I've struggled building a lift again. :/ Just couldn't get the crest right,  but I think it's looking alright now. It's a bit 'different', with it rising and falling so quickly, but I still think it's shaped well. Since taking these photos I've smoothed out the drop somewhat but my main question is; is there enough banking on the exit? From some angles it looks enough but from others it doesn't.  It doesn't turn much but I wasn't quite sure where to start it. 

I think any bumps in the pull out are caused by the slight banking so they aren't bothering me too much. 

After this I'm planning a dive loop, zero G and then as much twisty stuff as I can fit in before the switch track. 

IMG_4489_zpszlndvfq7.jpg

IMG_4508_zpsvsterh0q.jpg

IMG_4505_zpsqfavctic.jpg

IMG_4504_zpsosopgijg.jpg

IMG_4496_zpsfdikxq2p.jpg

IMG_4495_zpsozorw2s5.jpg

IMG_4509_zpsaxsrk1sw.jpg

Edited by rgarner42, 03 February 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#16 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

This looks quite nice. The thing that bothers me about it is that the arc spine doesn't feel vertical enough on the way down.

#17 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

This looks so strange, but so right.

I also don't think it would be that difficult to implement the engaging and dis-engaging system if you removed the static structure from behind the transfer bit and extended it out on top of it.

Maybe I'll have to give this a go at some point... ;)
I'd really love to get into NXT Automation.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#18 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

This looks quite nice. The thing that bothers me about it is that the arc spine doesn't feel vertical enough on the way down.

That was intentional, it allows the track to stay closer to the spine making it easier to support. Plus having it at a slight angle makes the whole structure a bit stronger anyway. 

This looks so strange, but so right.

I also don't think it would be that difficult to implement the engaging and dis-engaging system if you removed the static structure from behind the transfer bit and extended it out on top of it.

Maybe I'll have to give this a go at some point... ;)
I'd really love to get into NXT Automation.

That's kind of the conclusion I came to as well. :P

Not entirely sure what you mean, but after I've done my version of it, go ahead :D

NXT automation is great. I'm always amazed how people automated stuff purely using k'nex... NXT makes things easier :)

Finished the dive loop. Pretty happy with it, but the exit still needs a bit of work. The train comfortably clears it now, but I'll get it running better.   

I'm planning a zero-G roll next, the exit of which will turn out to the right, followed by some twisty stuff. But I'm open to layout suggestions. 

Sorry for the poor quality photos, couldn't find a decent camera. 

DSCF1215_zpstswypok6.jpg

DSCF1216_zpsktfhsbkt.jpg

DSCF1217_zpskbsktmnz.jpg

DSCF1218_zpsd0mke3tf.jpg

DSCF1220_zpsrj1dmbo9.jpg

DSCF1224_zpsmr7gt6oa.jpg

Edited by rgarner42, 05 February 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#19 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

I've made a bit of progress but I'm ultimately finding it quite frustrating at the moment. Not sure I have the speed to do quite what I wanted to do and I'm not sure where I've lost it   :/

I'm certain of one thing though it will looker better when outside. That carpet always makes my coasters look a bit messy. 

Here's a test video. -  https://www.youtube....h?v=zvgWKe1h5Gg

Share your thoughts. 

And can anyone offer some help for the catch mechanism on the switch track? 

Edited by rgarner42, 09 February 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#20 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

Are you cars lubed cause they seem a little loud in the video but maybe that's just me? I would look at that deja vu recreation and see how he did it or put a small black connector on the chain and see if the train catches onto that. I use sometimes them to push the train out of the station towards the lift. You ma alsoy want to add an other car to give you that speed to make the next elements. The dive loop looks great btw!

Edited by IOAgeek, 09 February 2017 - 10:55 AM.