python recreation busch gardens tampa ioageek 2017 corkscrew

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hey everyone, I am back but with a smaller build that wont take a long time to build since I am in college now and I have been very busy with my classes and work in it! Alright so i wanted to do a recreation of the defunct coaster at Busch Gardens Tampa called Python, which was in the park from 1976- 2006 until it closed and Jungala, a kids area was built in its place. I built this coaster so far during the winter break and I just wanted to get the lift completed and working which I did! The lift supports and lift angle of the real coaster were pretty difficult at first but weren't as bad once I got the hang of it. I'm using a six car train used in real life and I also added the storage track like the ride had, but I did not want to make it work. After the lift, the 180 degree right turn has the same lift supports then from the drop on the rest of the ride has tube supports which should be fun to build! It is going to be hard to make the right turn supports stable when the train is on that section of track, but well see how it turns out later on. Rollerfreak987 may come up during spring break so we can finish the coaster in a few days, he likes this ride and has rode it many times similarly to myself! I want to get this coaster completed during spring break in early March, but if not I will get it done after the semester is over in late April! Hope you enjoy the pics and have a great day!

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

The custom gear box I made using three motors for the lift!

IMG_4244.jpg

Please comment!

Edited by IOAgeek, 21 November 2022 - 09:02 PM.

#2 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Looks great so far! I love how Arrow's coasters look, so I can't wait to see this.

4 Windseekers and counting...

#3 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Looks nice so far! Lots of detailing. I love me a good Arrow coaster  :)

#4 iAClipse

iAClipse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Wow this looks amazing! I love acurate the supports are as well as the catwalk on the lift and brake run. Truly beautiful so far. I am very much looking forward to watching this build. I hope you can figure out how to make the turn supports solid enough.

msg-834-0-23642600-1483480744.jpg

~Thanks Steel~

#5 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

You and your crazy ass details... :P Looks good!

• IOAgeek likes this

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#6 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

Should make a recreation of the Python pile of rubble when you are done. Need to share some rare photos I have some time.

• KirbyCoast likes this

#7 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

I always enjoy seeing builders recreate a coaster or ride that they have a personal connection with IRL. So far the station and lift are a great start! I look forward to seeing the progress you (and possibly RollerFreak987) make on this in the future.

Posted Image

#8 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Looks great so far! I love how Arrow's coasters look, so I can't wait to see this.

Thanks, me too!

Looks nice so far! Lots of detailing. I love me a good Arrow coaster  :)

Ill try to include as much detail as possible based on the coaster.

Wow this looks amazing! I love acurate the supports are as well as the catwalk on the lift and brake run. Truly beautiful so far. I am very much looking forward to watching this build. I hope you can figure out how to make the turn supports solid enough.

The turn supports were hard to do consider they don't curve in real life, they don't shake to much with the 6 car train, I tried to ge the support turns as strong as I could make them.

You and your crazy ass details... :P Looks good!

Thanks lol, I try to make it look as good as possible consider it is a recreation.

Should make a recreation of the Python pile of rubble when you are done. Need to share some rare photos I have some time.

Oh I have seen some photos of it being demolishedm I miss that ride though, I always used to ride it.

I always enjoy seeing builders recreate a coaster or ride that they have a personal connection with IRL. So far the station and lift are a great start! I look forward to seeing the progress you (and possibly RollerFreak987) make on this in the future.

Thank you, we only live a few hours away so its not to hard to do a recreation together in the summer!

Alright guys, now that the semester is over, I have had some time to get back to completing more of this recreation. I completed the turn and the drop using the realistic supports found on the real ride. I had to add some diagonal supports to the tube supports on the drop, because there was a ton of force pushing on those supports from the train and i dint want to lose a lot of speed consider the height of the drop is not to high. The turn make look a little to big but it is all I had to work with and is the minimum length I can make it, so you will have to deal with it, I think it still looks really good IMO and the train clears the turn with realistic speed, without the supports shaking to much. The drop on this coaster goes right next to the exit pathway so I am right on track with the track work so far. There will be a test video next update so stay tuned for that next week I am sure. Hope you have a great day as always, and here are the pics.

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

Please comment!!

Edited by IOAgeek, 01 May 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#9 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

Woohoo, a construction thread! Grrr, I can't find anything wrong with the shaping. Scary perfection here. Edit: HA! 5th picture from the top, 3rd support from the right, the front one - it looks like it's bending. 

Edited by SCM, 01 May 2017 - 06:24 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#10 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Might just be me, but it looks like the banking is a bit too severe. On other arrows like Carolina Cyclone the banking pretty minimal. I'll add a picture of I find one.

Edit: Nevermind, just realized that the banking is a lot more extreme on python, so just ignore this.

Edited by sean9782, 01 May 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#11 Inswerver

Inswerver

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Looks fantastic! Though I gotta say the shaping on the pullout looks a little wonky.

I shall deal with this Jedi slime, Myself!

#12 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Those supports are cool and the shaping is good, Arrow is awesome.

#13 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Looks pretty much perfect to me. 

#14 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Woohoo, a construction thread! Grrr, I can't find anything wrong with the shaping. Scary perfection here. Edit: HA! 5th picture from the top, 3rd support from the right, the front one - it looks like it's bending. 

Thanks lol it took some time for sure, and yea I see what you mean about that support, I fixed that one up.

Might just be me, but it looks like the banking is a bit too severe. On other arrows like Carolina Cyclone the banking pretty minimal. I'll add a picture of I find one.

Edit: Nevermind, just realized that the banking is a lot more extreme on python, so just ignore this.

Yea the turn is pretty tight in real life so I had to bank it a lot but, I think it turned out pretty good, so I am happy about it!

Looks fantastic! Though I gotta say the shaping on the pullout looks a little wonky.

I mean like I am using grays rods for the track, and they are bending as well, so it wont be perfectly smooth, but that's as good as I will get it and the trains makes it nicely, which is fine for me.

Those supports are cool and the shaping is good, Arrow is awesome.

Yeah miss arrow a lot, they wanted to try a new coaster design to stay on top on the coaster industry but it didn't turn out as good as they hoped for, its alright!

Looks pretty much perfect to me. 

Thank you!

Alright I have some time for an update today,I have kind of been busy with starting a internship this summer and i was at Disney World last weekend so I have not had to much time, but I will try to get some of the coaster done this weekend for sure! I finished the first over bank high speed turn, which took some retires to get it right but I think the track work turned out good. I had to had some laterals on the straight supports, since there was a lot of force acting on it coming from the train, so now the turn is very stable and can support the trains weight. I took of the back car, since the train was going over the over bank kind of fast, and I took third motor of the lift hill, so it has more realistic speed for the lift hill like in real life. Any advice on the arrow corkscrew supports, cause they are really difficult to build, considering how big the corkscrews are and I don't just want to do two straight supports with nothing support the top of the corkscrew like other people have done with their tube recreations. Well enjoy the pics and test video, and have a good summer if yours is coming up soon!

IMG_02431.jpg

IMG_02451.jpg

IMG_02471.jpg

IMG_02461.jpg

IMG_02481.jpg

The test video:

Please Comment!!

Edited by IOAgeek, 19 May 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#15 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Looks amazing! I can't say that I see any flaws in shaping and your speed seems really good so far. Good luck!

#16 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

It looks too perfect for this to be an Arrow coaster. Flawless.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#17 Inswerver

Inswerver

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

looks great, though i cant help but feel like you might have speed issues in the future.

And i wish my summer was coming up soon. <:(

I shall deal with this Jedi slime, Myself!

#18 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

One flaw: it's not yellow.

:)

#19 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

This looks super smooth. I always enjoy watching smaller projects since the details can always be completed nicely rather than having to save pieces elsewhere. Maybe I should take my own advice.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#20 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Nice work so far, always a type of coaster I wanted to try and build but never got around too.  You're doing a very good job shaping wise and with the supports.

There might be a slight bit too much banking on the pre-drop turn, but that's a pretty minor problem.  Rest is great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: python, recreation, busch gardens tampa, ioageek, 2017, corkscrew