b&m dive coaster b&m dive coaster pray for no speed loss

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

I've always wanted to build a large-scale B&M Dive Coaster, so here we are! This project started a few months ago and I've been working slowly (due to work, snowboarding, and trips), but I'm still really enjoying it.

Overview (I've had trouble fitting all of the coaster in one picture!)

DSC_0796_zpsrqpynp7p.jpg

Direct side view of the drop pullout & immelmann

DSC_0795_zpsvexijkna.jpg

Side view of the drop

DSC_0799_zpsw9keezcd.jpg

DSC_0797_zpssznlgsht.jpg

Immelmann

DSC_0800_zpseolwgw26.jpg

DSC_0805_zpsbcnk8o1s.jpg

DSC_0806_zpsto3tvwub.jpg

DSC_0811_zpshhae2gfi.jpg

DSC_0813_zps0kjen1t4.jpg

Pullout of the immelmann

DSC_0804_zpsowpuddpd.jpg

Rising turn

DSC_0802_zpsitj5n6xz.jpg

DSC_0831_zpssyvqnkad.jpg

DSC_0833_zpsy2s2mpe2.jpg

DSC_0834_zpsz382zvkg.jpg

DSC_0843_zpsf5qquzn1.jpg

DSC_0801_zpsl1ka3wzq.jpg

I'm really excited to see what you guys think, as well as show you guys what the next element is  :rolleyes: (whenever it is that I end up building that...  :?)! Also, I had to make a new Photobucket account because I maxed out my original one and it won't let me upload anymore, haha!

Posted Image

#2 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

It's been a while since I've seen a dive machine. This is looking real noice already. I counted the lift as 15 granite rods tall. Not bad. I would be lying if I said the shaping wasn't absolutely sexy already. 

Edit: v Rollerfreak987: I know, right? 

Edited by SCM, 09 February 2017 - 08:02 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#3 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Oh goodness, I've forgotten how much I love your building style. Absolutely flawless.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#4 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:01 PM

Looks awesome so far, the shaping looks perfect, definitely support the layout, I'm not falling for the one or two supports on each rod lol. Cant wait for the holding break as well and maybe you could do custom trains for this ride? A catwalk would make this ride look very realistic too!

Edited by IOAgeek, 08 February 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#5 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Loving the look of this. Only complaint is the transition to vertical should be a lot more abrupt. 

#6 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

I love it. That upwards spiral is one of the sexiest helices I've seen in a while.

#7 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

I feel like vertical section of your drop is too long. The initial snap should be a bit tighter, if your trying to perfectly replicate B&M shaping (which is a bitch to do), I think the transition from about 45* to 90* should be drawn out a bit more. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Otherwise it flippin fantastic Jumpge, are you going top have a holding brake?  

Edited by commando, 09 February 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#8 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:06 AM

At first, I agreed with commando, but after zooming into that third picture, you nailed the 45* to 90* part he mentioned. If you could tighten up the first 45* without creating too much additional work for yourself, it'll be perfect. Otherwise, it is great enough.

Glad to see you're still building!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#9 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

Beautiful as always! I do agree with some of the others about being snappier at the top and more drawn out at the bottom. Only other thing (and this is being really picky) is I feel like the Immelmann should be banked ever so slightly more at the top, however it looks good either way :)

#10 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

I was just looking your RMC construction thread two days ago and missing your handywork. It's pretty timely of you to show back up now!

I agree with PKI, that if you were to tighten the 0-45* spot, your shaping would be golden.

My guess of what the next element will be is a zero-g with a descdnding turn pullout through the loop.

Formally RK500

#11 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

It's been a while since I've seen a dive machine. This is looking real noice already. I counted the lift as 15 granite rods tall. Not bad. I would be lying if I said the shaping wasn't absolutely sexy already. 

Edit: v Rollerfreak987: I know, right? 

I've always wanted to build one and my hopes are that it'll spice up the constructions in the SSC community.

Oh goodness, I've forgotten how much I love your building style. Absolutely flawless.

Thank you!

Looks awesome so far, the shaping looks perfect, definitely support the layout, I'm not falling for the one or two supports on each rod lol. Cant wait for the holding break as well and maybe you could do custom trains for this ride? A catwalk would make this ride look very realistic too!

Thank you for the reminder! I do have to go back and support everything quite a bit more... After I shaped the track nicely, I sort of moved on, lol. Not a good habit to get into! As for a holding brake and custom trains; I've been debating doing a holding brake but I won't be doing custom trains.

Loving the look of this. Only complaint is the transition to vertical should be a lot more abrupt. 

Thank you! And yes, I agree. I went back and tried to fix this. Please let me know what you think!

I love it. That upwards spiral is one of the sexiest helices I've seen in a while.

Thank you!

I feel like vertical section of your drop is too long. The initial snap should be a bit tighter, if your trying to perfectly replicate B&M shaping (which is a bitch to do), I think the transition from about 45* to 90* should be drawn out a bit more. 

Spoiler

Otherwise it flippin fantastic Jumpge, are you going top have a holding brake?  

At first, I agreed with commando, but after zooming into that third picture, you nailed the 45* to 90* part he mentioned. If you could tighten up the first 45* without creating too much additional work for yourself, it'll be perfect. Otherwise, it is great enough.

Glad to see you're still building!

It was seriously a pain in the ass, so I kind of gave up on the first-go and accepted an okay shape. After commando initially pointed this out, as well as the helpful advice from PKI, I went back and re-tracked the entire upper portion and made it much tighter. I think it's close, but not entirely there.

DSC_0882_zpstt43hv1n.jpg

Please let me know what you both think!

Beautiful as always! I do agree with some of the others about being snappier at the top and more drawn out at the bottom. Only other thing (and this is being really picky) is I feel like the Immelmann should be banked ever so slightly more at the top, however it looks good either way :)

Thank you! I'll check out the shaping on the immelmann.

I was just looking your RMC construction thread two days ago and missing your handywork. It's pretty timely of you to show back up now!

I agree with PKI, that if you were to tighten the 0-45* spot, your shaping would be golden.

My guess of what the next element will be is a zero-g with a descdnding turn pullout through the loop.

That's funny! I'm glad it worked out this way. As for your layout guess, geeze, you should've at least pus spoilers around your comment! :) You're correct! I don't know how you guessed that (and I was hoping it wouldn't be that predictable), but that's what I ended up building.

As I said in the replies, I build a zero-g roll and a diving-exit through the immelmann. I'm very happy with how it turned out shaping wise! I still need to go back and support the track, as well as properly support the main structure with actual towers. Here are some pictures! Sorry for the lack of shots from other angles.

DSC_0943_zpscrfra9td.jpg

DSC_0888_zpsvp0npury.jpg

DSC_0893_zpsyvdvu9dz.jpg

DSC_0883_zpslwj0akiz.jpg

DSC_0858_zpsww0pvpxy.jpg

DSC_0873_zpslkccwtgn.jpg

The zero-g/heartline roll, copied from Valravn (minus the exit)

DSC_0924_zpsbcfx2cms.jpg

DSC_0865_zpsiifwc2yc.jpg

The sun was shining through this evening, so I thought I'd capture it!

DSC_0913_zpsy4fxap6s.jpg

My next move is to get a test video of everything I have so far. I fully cleaned my trains a week ago (I took apart, soaked them in soapy-water, scrubbed every part with a toothbrush to remove debris build-up, then reassembled them), so I'll weight and lube them, then put tubing on and see what happens. I'm confident it'll make the element, but I'm also a little weary of whether it will or not. I guess we'll see!

Posted Image

#12 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Oooo, how exciting! :) I'm sure the element will smooth itself out once the tubing is on. I like how you are going inside the inversion. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#13 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

I love large builds like this! I can't wait to see what else you have planned!

#14 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

Woah, this thing is humongous! A good throw back to yesteryear of pushing the limit.

#15 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

Me gusta. The drop looks great, and I like the idea of the roll in the first half of the ride.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#16 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:10 AM

^yeah having the zg/heartline roll there is very creative, @b&m do you see this. Id be surprised if it didn't make it, but small trains lose momentum fast so ya never know

#17 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Dang, that roll is huge! I have to agree with everyone else, the placement in the layout is great - I love that you're switching up the typical Dive Machine layout. The supports look a little sparse on the top of the roll, are you going to add more? Can't wait to see where the layout goes after diving back down.

#18 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Although your intention behind your post was probably to keep us updated on the zero g roll, the first thing that struck me was how wonderful the immelman looks! The shaping on it is flawless, and it looks fantastic with the tubing on. It is a little hard to tell without tubing on there, but from what I can see the shaping of the zero g roll looks good as well. I like how the exit goes perfectly through the immelman, so far the lay-out is unique and logical at the same time. Keep up the good work buddy!

Posted Image

#19 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

oh so sexy.  Very creative layout so far!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Amazing how smooth the track work is and the shaping is perfect.  Great job!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b&m dive coaster, b&m, dive coaster, pray for no speed loss