• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hi!

I'm going to be having a go at creating a launched coaster for my new project  :D

Attached File  lc1.jpg   185.36KB   1 downloads

Using a re-purposed brushless model airplane motor, I have a working launch system, which can easily be controlled by an Arduino.

Currently, I have it connected to a radio receiver, which I'm using to control the motor manually, but I can easily replace that with an Arduino later on.

Attached File  lc5.jpg   220.65KB   0 downloads

Attached File  lc2.jpg   184.5KB   0 downloads

I haven't got the layout entirely planned. I wanted to take inspiration from Taron at Phantasialand. I'm aiming for two launches, and am not sure if it will be inversionless.

Attached File  lc3.jpg   195.76KB   2 downloads

I'm hoping my trackwork will improve over this project. I know it takes experience, and it's really hard to get right. None the less, I'm experimenting, and look forward to finishing this!!  ;)

#2 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

Sounds ambitious, but awesome at the sane time! The biggest problem I see right now is that the exit of the launch has a VERY tight, sharp spot in the track. If you're shooting for a longer layout that will KILL your speed. Other than that it looks good to me. Good luck!

4 Windseekers and counting...

#3 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Ambitious, I like it. Interested to see how your launch works, I've never gotten one to work effectively. 

The track work looks ok apart from what Sean pointed out. In the last two pictures it looks like the entry into the turnaround is extremely sharp. 

Edited by rgarner42, 20 April 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#4 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Longer or shorter layout, a curve that tight is always a meanie to speed. You may want to consider having the launch face the other way. Edit: You might have to make the launch a little shorter. Also, I didn't realize this before, but you should make the second support like so; 

helping sporech

Edited by SCM, 20 April 2017 - 07:10 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#5 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the tips!

As for the launch exit, I see your point. My table has limited size you see. I'll reconsider that bend- I have a few options I can try out.

Are there many other coasters that use motors for launches? Most of the ones I've seen use rubber bands or something else. I know the Jesper launch is pretty popular.

When the motor is just driving the chain, with no train being pulled along, it goes so fast that it actually snaps, but it takes a while to get to those speeds. Much longer than the launch would take.

Edited by Sporech, 25 April 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Well, a few months later, and I've got my launch working again!

Progress has moved slowly, but surely.

After I burnt out my previous motor by overvolting it, I ordered a more powerful, brushed motor to pull the launch.

Works like magic:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Jl5hQP3iJ5E

https://www.youtube....h?v=7hn1ftLkFx0

The supports are rough atm, I plan on making them stronger and neater when the layout is complete.

#7 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

It looks pretty nice! Although I'm concerned you won't be able to make it too far before you have to make your second launch, since it seems like it doesn't have a whole lot of speed.

• Sporech likes this

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#8 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

It looks pretty nice! Although I'm concerned you won't be able to make it too far before you have to make your second launch, since it seems like it doesn't have a whole lot of speed.

I think it will reach the 2nd launch, I'm going to bring the train lower after this next section, so it should be fine.

If I ever find that it starts to valley, I also have the option of overvolting the motor- since this one is brushed, and can withstand some extra volts.

#9 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

Wow I'm impressed by that launch! It's surprisingly quiet, and gives about as much speed as most of the drill launches I've seen.

Do you plan on using a relay to switch power to the motor?

• Sporech likes this

#10 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

Wow I'm impressed by that launch! It's surprisingly quiet, and gives about as much speed as most of the drill launches I've seen.

Do you plan on using a relay to switch power to the motor?

Thanks!  :D

I'm not planning on using a relay, instead, I'm controlling it with an Electonic Speed Controller/ESC with a radio transmitter and receiver currently. I can use the Arduino to mimic the receiver signal and control the motor that way.

Edited by Sporech, 19 August 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#11 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

Here's some progress. I've got to the second launch, now I need to build the 2nd half:

Attached File  Photo on 09-12-2017 at 21.56 #2.jpg   161.52KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Photo on 09-12-2017 at 21.56.jpg   203.7KB   0 downloads

I think it's looking pretty nice.

The 1st launch works very well. The 2nd has no motor or power atm.

I changed the layout since the last post. This one looks a lot more fun and doesn't lose as much speed.

Edited by Sporech, 13 December 2017 - 07:40 AM.

• rgarner42 likes this

#12 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm also trying to think of a name/theme

#13 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Just throwing an idea out there, but given the launches and the high G-force type of layout you got going . . . I'd give it a NASA/space theme. And I'd name it G-LOC, which stands for Gravity Induced Loss of Consciousness (which is something the NASA g-force training is meant to avoid.)

• Sporech likes this

#14 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:53 AM

I like the layout. Lots of fast twists and turns in a compact space. I guess with the name/theming, you could go allsorts. Usually when I think about these things, I just look up random stuff on the internet and see if anything jumps out, if I don't have an idea beforehand of course.

• Sporech likes this

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#15 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

Just throwing an idea out there, but given the launches and the high G-force type of layout you got going . . . I'd give it a NASA/space theme. And I'd name it G-LOC, which stands for Gravity Induced Loss of Consciousness (which is something the NASA g-force training is meant to avoid.)

Sounds interesting! I like when the layout reflects and matches the theme like that.

I like the idea, but the colours of my track/trains wouldn't match a space theme. I'd rather not spray paint my train etc.

I like the layout. Lots of fast twists and turns in a compact space. I guess with the name/theming, you could go allsorts. Usually when I think about these things, I just look up random stuff on the internet and see if anything jumps out, if I don't have an idea beforehand of course.

What kind of keywords would you look up?

#16 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

My friend let me borrow his RC plane camera so I can film a pov. It didn't turn out great, but it's still fun to watch.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UsRVPOystZQ

The motor for launch no.2 has arrived.

Attached File  20180130_160027.jpg   64.67KB   0 downloads

Edited by Sporech, 30 January 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#17 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

Nice! I'm impressed with the acceleration you're getting with those motors. Are you using a direct drive to the chain, or is it geared down at all?

#18 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

Nice! I'm impressed with the acceleration you're getting with those motors. Are you using a direct drive to the chain, or is it geared down at all?

It is geared, but on a 1:1 ratio so it is essentially a direct drive to the chain.

#19 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:10 PM

Track is complete! Really happy with the layout. Automation is nearly done, sensors are in the track, but not connected to the Arduino yet.

20180725_222757_zpsdgjyigpi.jpg

20180725_222744_zpsz4js5gbp.jpg

20180725_223043_zpsfcrgsqfl.jpg

#20 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

I also managed to record some POVs as well.

Here's a normal POV, letting the train move naturally. It isn't automated yet, I'm signalling the motors by pressing buttons in this video.

https://youtu.be/Fknxt1aAviI

It's quite hard to see, so I made another one of me pushing the train around the track.

https://youtu.be/-ScWenfuNIE

Edited by Sporech, 25 July 2018 - 06:10 PM.