Storm Fall

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jebuk201

Jebuk201

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hi, I am relatively new here and wanted to show off the construction and idea of a roller coaster controlled by a raspberry pi. For anyone who doesn't know what a raspberry pi is, it basically is a mini computer. Then, you can put a Adafruit Motor Top Hat on the pi (circuit board) than you can plug motors into and control them. The program that is used to write the scripts for the motors is python. You can control up to four motors, its speed, direction, and time. The roller coaster will be a launch coaster, which the raspberry will control the launch. The first element of the ride is it will go up a spiral into a dive loop. The height will probably be between 4-5 ft. I have posted a picture of the track layout and the raspberry pi. Also I will try to do a droptrack at the end of the ride, which too will be controlled by the raspberry pi. I wanted to try something different, and thought it would be cool to control a coaster by a computer. Also, you can control audio and lights with the pi. So I could add computerized audio and lighting to the ride as well. I still have to come up with a name for the coaster. I will continue to post updates and photos.

Attached Files

Edited by Jebuk201, 23 November 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

I haven't worked with a Raspberry pie (but I have heard good reviews from past teachers) but I did do a bit of python programming this year. Your layout looks like a huge compact scribble of which I obviously approve. Should be fun to see going up. Hopefully the details will all work out for you.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 Sporech

Sporech

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

My first coaster I uploaded was controlled with an Arduino, check that out:

http://www.sscoaster...n-serpent-r1619

I'm working on a multi-launch coaster with the Arduino to control it (similar to what you're going for, I think), what kind of mechanism do you have in mind?

Mine is literally a powerful motor driving the chain. 

Edited by Sporech, 02 June 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#4 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

WOW amazing and very fitting due to my difficulties with the arduino one ._. I got my brother's and want to control my station with it but I'M not into the programming at all and don't know how to hack the Knee motors :/

#5 Jebuk201

Jebuk201

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

Alright, here we go. The name of this roller coaster is Storm Fall. I am just about finished with, the only thing left to do is keep testing it and make the logo. I was planning on showing construction photos but I just kind of forgot about it and kept putting it off. I was really just focused on finishing the ride. Like I said earlier in the chat, the coaster is controlled by a raspberry pi, which controls all four motors. The first motor takes the car though the station, the second stretches the rubber band and takes the catch car to the train. The third motor releases the gears causing the catch car to pull the train forward. The fourth motor controls the drop track. There is an audio file that I made for the ride that correlates with the ride, like an on-board ride soundtrack. Their is a background song, and noises like thunder occur when the ride launches or when the drop track drops. This audio track is played automatically with the script that tells the motors what to do. I plan on making the final video within the next few weeks. For now, here are some images of the ride:

100 1475
100 1479
100 1478
100 1492
100 1501
100 1484
100 1502
100 1495
100 1488

Edited by Jebuk201, 12 August 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#6 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

That's pretty neat! Nice job modifying the K'NEX brand motors, it's something I've imagined doing before but never got around to trying out.

• Jebuk201 likes this

#7 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

That curve out of the launch looks amazing, can't wait for the final vid!

• Jebuk201 likes this

4 Windseekers and counting...

#8 Jebuk201

Jebuk201

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

This is the logo for the ride:

storm fall logo

#9 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

That looks great but you should maybe get some better lighting or use flash because it's kind of hard to see.

#10 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

I think the dark pictures are fitting, with it being named Storm Fall and whatnot. I really like how spread out this is. 

• Jebuk201 likes this

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#11 Jebuk201

Jebuk201

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Here is the link to the final video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=CKegwbhRu7Y

#12 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Looks great! I love the drop track, and the flow of the layout. Can't wait to see more from you in the future!

• Jebuk201 likes this

4 Windseekers and counting...

#13 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

Nice. I like the layout and the automation is very impressive. But I think you can still work on better track shaping. 

#14 Jebuk201

Jebuk201

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

How do you think I could improve the track shaping? Some advise and tips would be useful for future projects. Thanks.

#15 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

More supports would have helped your shaping, for the most part this felt sort of under supported.

Cool model though!

• Jebuk201 likes this

#16 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Sorry for not being specific enough. 

It's difficult and takes time to get better at shaping, I know it did for me. But I think the best way to learn is to look at highly rated models.  And maybe go back to their construction threads and see how their supports are built and how they're connected to the track. Looking at real life roller coaster can help too. 

This model could have done with some more supports, and I find middle tubing makes coasters look better too. With large elements I often use the grey rods instead of the flexi rods, as it makes the track smoother too. 

The automation for this coaster is incredible though. 

Edited by rgarner42, 21 September 2017 - 02:10 PM.

• Jebuk201 likes this