B&M Flyer : Pteranodon - Final Video

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

I was considering doing a terrain RMC but you guys wanted a B&M so I'm resurrecting my earlier attempt at a B&M Flyer.

Lift hill is pretty much exactly the same as the other one and like last time it was also a pain to build. I'm not expecting this to be an easy build.

Attached File  IMG_5546.JPG   213.01KB   0 downloads 

Edited by rgarner42, 10 August 2017 - 02:49 AM.

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Ia Ir just me or is the lift hill slightly bending? Cameras have fooled before. Good solid base though. I look forward to this one.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Why didn't you just use the old thread you had on this lol? It looks good though, maybe a cool chain guide on this would be awesome!

#4 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

Ia Ir just me or is the lift hill slightly bending? Cameras have fooled before. Good solid base though. I look forward to this one.

I don't think so.  

Why didn't you just use the old thread you had on this lol? It looks good though, maybe a cool chain guide on this would be awesome!

Because that one became the thread for the switch track coaster. 

I'll see what I can do, I'd prefer to have a chain guide then for the chain to be hanging down. I'll get to those kind of things once I've built more of the layout. 

Drop is almost done, still needs a bit of tweaking and some strengthening of supports.

After building this I now have more respect for anyone that's built a tube supported invert of any kind, they're a bit of a nightmare. I'm finding it quite difficult to shape as I can't get a decent view of the underside of the track to see if there are any kinks in it. But I think my attempt isn't too far off, it does sag a little when the train goes over but I'm not sure how much more I can stop that.

Some Pics:

IMG_5568_zpsfws2km3o.jpg

IMG_5567_zpscez2xdxl.jpg

IMG_5563_zps8rfodkvy.jpg

IMG_5558_zpsgqqm90kx.jpg

IMG_5557_zpsxwl0jlxr.jpg

IMG_5554_zpsn9ti8nsr.jpg

I think you can guess what's coming next. ( If I can build it )

#5 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

I can relate to how you feel about tubes on inverts. I tried to build a dueling invert a few weeks ago and didn't make it past the drop. As for your coaster, it looks pretty smooth, but if the drop sags when a train passes you should really add some support. Hopefully the Pretzel loop(?) isn't too difficult. I'm excited to see where this goes past the standard first element. Good luck!

4 Windseekers and counting...

#6 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Nice drop! Straight drops aren't common on B&M flyers it seems (even outside of Superman), but I'm guessing the classic pretzal loop is next. A 1 1/2 zero g roll would be cool to see on this eventually though like on Starry Sky RIpper (really awesome flying coaster).

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#7 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

I like the shaping of the drop so far, but the second to last tube support is a bit to close to the last support on the pullout. Just move it back like a blue rod. so it is in the middle between the third to last support and last support you have, so you wont lose as much speed there.  You could always add more track strengtheners in between each support to tighten up the track as well. Also, add more x-ties to the lift hill so it looks like the rest of the track work, but I am sure you'll do it later.

Edited by IOAgeek, 12 July 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#8 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

I can relate to how you feel about tubes on inverts. I tried to build a dueling invert a few weeks ago and didn't make it past the drop. As for your coaster, it looks pretty smooth, but if the drop sags when a train passes you should really add some support. Hopefully the Pretzel loop(?) isn't too difficult. I'm excited to see where this goes past the standard first element. Good luck!

Thanks. No standard first element on this one. Hopefully I can get a Pretzel loop later on in the layout  but it all depends on how well I preserve speed earlier on. 

Nice drop! Straight drops aren't common on B&M flyers it seems (even outside of Superman), but I'm guessing the classic pretzal loop is next. A 1 1/2 zero g roll would be cool to see on this eventually though like on Starry Sky RIpper (really awesome flying coaster).

Wrong again, but you do get to see that 1 1/2 zero g roll. 

I had originally wanted it to be later in the layout but I couldn't build the original drop I had wanted.  - https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I like the shaping of the drop so far, but the second to last tube support is a bit to close to the last support on the pullout. Just move it back like a blue rod. so it is in the middle between the third to last support and last support you have, so you wont lose as much speed there.  You could always add more track strengtheners in between each support to tighten up the track as well. Also, add more x-ties to the lift hill so it looks like the rest of the track work, but I am sure you'll do it later.

I really didn't want to move that support it probably took me over an hour to put in correctly. But just to be on the safe side I added another support just before so now it looks like they are spaced more evenly. 

Built up to the top of the Zero G thing. And I think I've got the heartline pretty much perfect. It is a weird element to view side on though. 

My main problem is that due to the track turning so quickly the train hits some of the x -ties, slowing it down. I really need to save as much speed as I can, anyone have any tips for this problem? This means a 2 car train passes over quite easily but a 6 car train really struggles, and I was hoping for a 6 car train. If I can't sort this I may have to settle for a 4 car train but I'll push for 5.  

Speaking of longer trains, a fair few of my middle cars are damaged, I remember someone had made some 3D printed thing to convert front cars to middle cars. How can I get some? 

So far I don't think the speed loss is too bad. It's gone from 53 inches below the track at the lift to 42 inches at the highest point of the zero G and up to a 4 car train clears it quite easily. To save a bit more speed (and some pieces) I considering elevating the terrain for the exit of this roll. A half loop will follow this and then a turn hopefully into a pretzel loop but that is dependent on how much speed I have left.  

Some Pics: 

Attached File  IMG_5580.JPG   212.86KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5587.JPG   170.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5588.JPG   178.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5591.JPG   177.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5594.JPG   329.68KB   0 downloads

I'll upload a test video once this element is complete. 

#9 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

You're really close and all but I think you have to add some track strengtheners both gray and flex rods on those unsupported track pieces to save some speed for the element. I would straighten out the third and fourth to last supports on the zero g element as well. The gap between the second to last and third to last supports are kind of far apart from each other imo, considering you're using flexi rods there, so you may have to move the supports on the element around a little so you can add one more support in the middle of those two while having equal spacing, to reduce the track bending there considering you're using a six car train. The last support you made could use some rods all around the top of the blue 3d connectors to strengthen that support up, I think it helps a lot especially when I use tubes on my coasters. You may also want to add those missing middle rods in those x-ties in the zero g element and add more tube to track connectors I usually do like 4 or so for each tube, that could help out the trackwork and smooth it out as well. Your train is fully weighted and lubed as well, how much shaking is there btw?

Edited by IOAgeek, 15 July 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#10 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

Do you have room to stretch out the element so that the cars don't hit the cross ties?

39751.png

#11 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:58 AM

Ive had this same issue a few times now. I tend to find that putting a stretch of tubing through the centre of the X-ties and adding in 'Y' clips (the little black wrench shaped connectors) between the X-ties and the flexi rods makes a big difference - it stops the X-ties from twisting with the flexi rods and instead they did perfectly perpendicular to the tubing, thus stopping the train from hitting them. Others than that the best way to fix it is, as Friedeggs mention, to just stretch out the whole element.
Other than your issues, this thing looks amazing! It's so smooth, yet still has the aggressive whip like twist into it, just like the real thing. Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the coaster turns out now! :D

#12 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

You're really close and all but I think you have to add some track strengtheners both gray and flex rods on those unsupported track pieces to save some speed for the element. I would straighten out the third and fourth to last supports on the zero g element as well. The gap between the second to last and third to last supports are kind of far apart from each other imo, considering you're using flexi rods there, so you may have to move the supports on the element around a little so you can add one more support in the middle of those two while having equal spacing, to reduce the track bending there considering you're using a six car train. The last support you made could use some rods all around the top of the blue 3d connectors to strengthen that support up, I think it helps a lot especially when I use tubes on my coasters. You may also want to add those missing middle rods in those x-ties in the zero g element and add more tube to track connectors I usually do like 4 or so for each tube, that could help out the trackwork and smooth it out as well. Your train is fully weighted and lubed as well, how much shaking is there btw?

Thanks for the lengthy comment it was really helpful in improving the element.

I know, I've gotten to that, the track is pretty strong now.

The reason those supports were like that was because it was based on a photo of flying dinosaur - Attached File  Screen shot 2015-11-28 at 12.47.41 PM.png   519.48KB   1 downloads -  I've stretched out the roll now so I've added another support between them. 

The train could probably do with a bit of work. But I don't think there is much shaking. 

Do you have room to stretch out the element so that the cars don't hit the cross ties?

I do and I have :)

Ive had this same issue a few times now. I tend to find that putting a stretch of tubing through the centre of the X-ties and adding in 'Y' clips (the little black wrench shaped connectors) between the X-ties and the flexi rods makes a big difference - it stops the X-ties from twisting with the flexi rods and instead they did perfectly perpendicular to the tubing, thus stopping the train from hitting them. Others than that the best way to fix it is, as Friedeggs mention, to just stretch out the whole element.
Other than your issues, this thing looks amazing! It's so smooth, yet still has the aggressive whip like twist into it, just like the real thing. Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the coaster turns out now! :D

I think the tubing helped, but if anything I found the 'Y' clips made it worse. Might have been that by adding them I altered the position of the track for the worse, so if I'm needing extra speed later in the layout I might go back and try it again. But lengthening the roll helped. It hasn't by any means gotten rid of the problem but its helped. I just hope lengthening it hasn't gotten rid of the whip the roll had to it. 

Thanks!

Pretty much finished the zero G - fly to lie thing. I lengthened the roll to stop the trains hitting the X-ties which has helped somewhat but not eliminated it. I think fixing it has worsened the heartline slightly but what can you do; I bet if I tried to change that it would make the other problem worse. 

I've built the beginnings of a half loop as well, still needs lots more supporting at the top but this just shows you the general shaping. After this the track will dip down and turn back towards the lift hill and then hopefully into a pretzel loop. Still looking okay for speed so should managed to squeeze one in. 

Some (blurry phone) Pics: 

Attached File  IMG_20170717_224848245.jpg   167.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170717_224909897.jpg   119.75KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170717_224934705.jpg   173.11KB   0 downloads

And I've got a test video for you. Recorded before the half loop was made.   - https://www.youtube....h?v=3eB0MExIv_g

Edited by rgarner42, 17 July 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#13 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

I would try to maximize the size of the half loop, otherwise you will kill the speed for the middle of the layout.

Shaping looks good though, I quite like the first element.

#14 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Might just be the blurry pictures, but in the second photo, right to the left of where you're red tubing is hanging there looks to be a small sharp spot. Other than that it looks impressively good. Keep up the good work!

#15 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

The first element is really nice! We finally get to see one of those 1.5 inversions on a knex flying coaster! Love these newer B&M flying coasters. I feel like you won't run into issues with speed on this one though, since that half loop still looks pretty big.

39751.png

#16 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

The element looks pretty good but I think a 5 car train would looks more realistic on this coaster and you would get more speed out of the drop. Have you tired a 5 car train on the finished element and does it make it btw? On the pullout of the zero g roll, the track bends outwards a little bit, so you will need to add more diagonal tube supports to the track and base to strengthen that area of the ride as well.

Edited by IOAgeek, 18 July 2017 - 10:26 PM.

#17 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

I would try to maximize the size of the half loop, otherwise you will kill the speed for the middle of the layout.

Shaping looks good though, I quite like the first element.

I'm surprised I expected to be struggling for speed, but I should be ok. 

Thanks. 

Might just be the blurry pictures, but in the second photo, right to the left of where you're red tubing is hanging there looks to be a small sharp spot. Other than that it looks impressively good. Keep up the good work!

I think I've sorted it. Thanks. 

The first element is really nice! We finally get to see one of those 1.5 inversions on a knex flying coaster! Love these newer B&M flying coasters. I feel like you won't run into issues with speed on this one though, since that half loop still looks pretty big.

Thanks. You were right, speed is looking good. 

The element looks pretty good but I think a 5 car train would looks more realistic on this coaster and you would get more speed out of the drop. Have you tired a 5 car train on the finished element and does it make it btw? On the pullout of the zero g roll, the track bends outwards a little bit, so you will need to add more diagonal tube supports to the track and base to strengthen that area of the ride as well.

I am going to use a 5 car train, it was just because the 4 car was already on the track. 

Big-ish update. 

And I have plenty of speed might even be able to use a custom train. I'm really surprised with the speed loss, I didn't expect to be able to make the layout this long. 

Halfway through the obligatory pretzel loop, the second half still needs some work, and I haven't quite finished the supports. I've tried to keep the supports realistic. 

But I'm starting to run out of pieces... 

I'll add a test vid tomorrow. 

36092261425_6710df4698_k.jpgP1000511 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

36052388586_d48e86b75a_k.jpgP1000510 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

35702262040_32791806b8_k.jpgP1000509 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

35702346290_fd1192ab67_k.jpgP1000503 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

36092460765_d34b8fa05a_k.jpgP1000501 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

35959658451_3781f6adce_k.jpgP1000498 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

35252882694_d6b1f6a847_k.jpgP1000495 by Richard Garner, on Flickr

#18 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

If it makes the whole thing, AMSWOME!

#19 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:08 AM

If it makes the whole thing, AMSWOME!

Well, it makes it with good speed now. :)

Test Video - https://www.youtube....?v=gXWfb_CYv64 

Edited by rgarner42, 23 July 2017 - 05:09 AM.

#20 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

I honestly don't have any criticisms, just finish supporting the pretzel loop and keep going!