knex rmc coaster new

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 KnexThrillsMaker

KnexThrillsMaker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

Hi,  I am relatively new to this site so this is all new for me.

But This is my new Knex RMC coaster that I am currently working on, and I need some tips or pointers on it so I will be willing to answer any questions.

At the time of this post, I am working on the first inversion as shown below, I am running into the dilemma of the train being slow and not being able to make the inversion, I put AA batteries underneath each car and added people for extra weight,  I oil the trains often when the train slows down with WD-40, but the oil only works temporarily and needs to be reapplied,  So does anyone know how I could make the train faster without having to lower the height of the first inversion?  I want to keep the inversion higher because I have lowered it and it just looks funky if I do no matter how I rework the track.  so if you have any recommendations please let me know, Thanks  

Attached File  Photo Jul 26, 10 20 51 PM.jpg   220.51KB   3 downloads

Attached File  Photo Jul 26, 10 21 04 PM.jpg   171.42KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Photo Jul 26, 10 21 14 PM.jpg   174.36KB   3 downloads

#2 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

What you have looks really nice so far, and I see a lot of potential with this. As for the oiling, do NOT use WD-40. I'd recommend giving this a read- http://www.sscoaster...g-why-should-i/. That should help you out enough to make the first element.

4 Windseekers and counting...

#3 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

Looks pretty good so far, dont oil the trains often like once a month if that, you will ruin the trains axels and lose speed on the coaster. I would re check your weights to see if they're are attached good. Make sure they aren't hitting the track anywhere. You need to add more track supports on the drop and on the first element, that will help you save some speed on the coaster. I think the people dont add much weight, and can cause some speed lose from the aerodynamics and air friction of them, so I would take them off and see if it makes the element still.

Edited by IOAgeek, 26 July 2017 - 11:01 PM.

#4 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:38 PM

Wow, it looks like you have quite a bit of building experience already! I really like the first drop, it reminds me of Outlaw Run which is pretty cool. The zero g roll/stall needs some heartlining though. As far as the car not making it through the element, WD-40 actually will wear down your wheels over time and is only a short term solution from what I've heard, although I'm not an expert on SS since I don't have any. There's a pretty good tut for lubing cars that was posted on here a while ago though. https://www.youtube....h?v=44KjiRmys2A

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 27 July 2017 - 12:58 AM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#5 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

looks nice man, i'm looking forward to the next update! 

Posted Image

#6 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

That is a very nice looking coaster! Glad to see another RMC get built here as they are some of the most entertaining to see get built. What the others said will help you out a lot. Do not use plain WD-40 to lubricate your trains though. Look for a silicon based lubricant instead. Also, don't apply too much lubricant or apply it too often. Since i don't build frequently, i lubricate my trains like once a year. Another thing that could help your speed issues is adding more track to support connections. The more connections you have, the less space for the track to dip from the weight of the train. Every little dip in between supports takes energy from your train away, therefore, loosing speed. One last little nit picking thing that you dont really have to change. If you want your RMC to be as realistic as possible, heartline is very important. The twist into the inversion, from the photos you shared, doesn't look to have any heartlining. Though, if the heartlining isn't done correctly, it might knock some speed off. Well, that's what happens to me lol

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#7 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

This looks fantastic so far! Really great work you've done.
As for your trains, NEVER USE WD40. It acts as a solvent for dirt and grime but also corrodes you're wheels in the process (it works well temporarily as a lubricant due to its oily texture). As for what you should do to get the best out of your trains (what I do to get the best out of mine) is as follows:

1 - Lubricate the trains using a form of silicon spray - to do this spray directly into the axel, then wipe the train and wheels clean (you don't want any of this on the wheels or track, only in the axel). Following this, run the train for a bit to warm up and spread the silicon spray, then remove you're train from the track and wipe off the excess spray again (also wipe down the track).

2 - Weight the trains using 1 AA battery and 2 AAA batteries per car, with the exclusion of the front car which only has 1 AA and 1 AAA. Place the AA battery in the centre of the underside of the train (betweeen the 2 sets of pins for the people). Then place the first AAA battery between the AA and wheel assembly (this may seem like it juts out however it won't get in the way). These two batteries can then be fixed in place using sellotape (make sure they are secure and unable to move). Finally the second AAA battery can sit inside the little space under the front of each car - push it in and it should click into place and is already secured by the car to car ball connection so no need for excess sellotape.

3 - Don't use the people in your cars! It raises the centre of gravity and makes the trains shake more, losing speed.

Photo for reference:
Attached File  IMG_2164.JPG   85.2KB   1 downloads

Hope this helped!

Edited by Muzz135, 28 July 2017 - 03:45 PM.

• sean9782 likes this

#8 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

I like the look of this! If I were you I would add a little more twist earlier into the drop, similar to Iron Rattler's first drop: http://www.coasterga...n_Rattler-2.jpg

#9 KnexThrillsMaker

KnexThrillsMaker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Well it has been awhile since my last update due to me heading back to college soon, but I have managed to make some progress on the coaster, I need to start looking for a name as well.

Attached File  Photo Aug 15, 10 40 51 AM.jpg   231.47KB   4 downloads

Thank you all for helping me with the speed issue I have been facing, I have never seen any knex train run so smoothly!

Attached File  Photo Aug 15, 10 41 07 AM.jpg   229.98KB   10 downloads

decided to re "roll" the track the original way just wasnt working out for the train, track, or structure 

Attached File  Photo Aug 15, 10 41 07 AM.jpg   229.98KB   10 downloads

here is the newest element! wanted it to roll to where the car was more inverted like storm chasers element may go back an re design, idk

Attached File  Photo Aug 16, 10 28 22 PM.jpg   193.55KB   4 downloads

another angle of the new element

so my plan for the next element is some sort of brake run I suppose,  and after that, I want to model more elements from the new steel vengeance rmc at cedar point and 1 or 2 more inversions

Will try to post and test video later this week.

Attached Files

#10 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Looks nice! The only issue I see is at the peak of the first inversion. The top seems a bit drawn out, but if you wanted a more "Hangtime" looking element it fits alright. Looking forward to the test vid!

#11 KnexThrillsMaker

KnexThrillsMaker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

Here is the test video, went farther than the last update as you can see but now working on the mid course brake run. 

#12 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:56 PM

I like it so far, especially the first two elements, and the shaping is really nice! It reminds me of the second overbanked turn on Goliath, but half of it being a zero g roll. Can we maybe see some double-up trick track on this? :P

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#13 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

Looks amazing! Definitely my favorite project on the site right now. The layout flows really well too!

• SCM likes this

#14 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

This looks fantastic man! Train sounds and looks like it's running very smoothly! Layout is very nice so far and looks like you've still got plenty speed left to do even more with it. Looking forward to seeing more of this :)

#15 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Wow that's awesome. I think this is going to be the biggest knex RMC coaster out there maybe? A coaster this good deserves an awesome detailed station. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#16 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

Looks great so far, idk if the track towards the mcbr is a bit to stretched out and all, but just make sure you get the lift running so you can do better tests of the train making the layout without you having the push the train each time.

#17 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

I'm so sorry for bumping this thread, but I just remembered how long it had been since I'd popped in, and wow.  This is incredible.  I hope you're still working on it.  Honestly looks amazing.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#18 KnexThrillsMaker

KnexThrillsMaker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:29 PM

Hello all, I know its been awhile but college took up a large part of my time as well as my home business, the coaster was finished but not completely like the station and other parts, my biggest mistake with this coaster was moving it outside. I should have learned from CoasterGeek987 from their Gwazi recreation that trains do not like outside weather and the coaster never complete a full loop on its own while outside. I do have found footage of the coaster running inside and I will be making some posts here of the finished coaster soon. Sorry for the wait. 

#19 KnexThrillsMaker

KnexThrillsMaker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 08:02 PM

Here is the video link for the indoor running session of the RMC coaster:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Vbkg5hsxk0E

#20 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts