Ragnarok - B&M Floorless (Cancelled)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

After a two year hiatus, I'm back at making coasters!

This next one is a B&M Floorless Coaster, similar to the likes of "Rougaru" at Cedar Point.

I don't really have a name for it yet, but I put it under the working title: Project "Octal."

Unlike my previous coasters, this one will utilize tube supports. I HAVE used tube supports in the past just not as extensively (i.e. Impulse).

So far, I haven't made much progress as I just started building it last Monday.

The coaster as of 10/26/17:

10/26/17

Not much to really show, but I think it's a good start!

Suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by wrenchrev2005, 04 January 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#2 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Well, welcome back. Strange that I don't seem to remember you... anyway, there's not much to comment on. I like the track's color scheme. Carry on. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#3 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

Did some more work last weekend, Almost finished with the lift hill.

29/10/17

Might have to change out the color of the tube supports, as I'm running out of red rods already.

#4 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

I like the tubes and lift. The lift does look a little steep, though. Good job so far!

Edited by Spaghetti, 31 October 2017 - 10:53 AM.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#5 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

The lift does look steep in the picture, but it's just a normal 45 degree lift I normally make for my coasters.

I moved the middle tube support so it can be used on the drop. The lift has been finished and is functional, though I plan on switching out the motor in favor of a drill.

For the drop I want to make something similar to Gold Striker, but without the small "bank" before it hits the ground.

Gold-Striker-Californias-Great-America-2

After that there will be a large loop followed by a dive loop.

What I have so far:

2/11/17

Edited by wrenchrev2005, 02 November 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#6 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

Made some major progress over the weekend. Finished the first drop and started working on the loop.

5/11/17

#7 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

I'm probably going to do some reworking on the lift, because it isn't very stable and it's not high enough. I'm also working on getting more sets for some extra pieces and cars.

We'll eventually see how this ends up working out...

Also the coaster has a name now. It will be called Ragnarok.

Edited by wrenchrev2005, 11 November 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#8 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:06 AM

I hate to say it but it really does look like the lift needs some reworking. I suggest you start by thickening the spine of the track by adding more pieces there, this should help keep the supports more stable. If you can, try adding some horizontal supports between the sets of A-frames so that each one is linked to the next. And those flexis in the middle of the frame won't do anything to stop shaking, you'll need rigid pieces for that.

#9 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

I hate to say it but it really does look like the lift needs some reworking. I suggest you start by thickening the spine of the track by adding more pieces there, this should help keep the supports more stable. If you can, try adding some horizontal supports between the sets of A-frames so that each one is linked to the next. And those flexis in the middle of the frame won't do anything to stop shaking, you'll need rigid pieces for that.

I've been reworking the lift for a while. Also the flexis on the A-frames are not meant to stop it from shaking, it's only meant to stop the supports from bending too much.

#10 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

Finished reworking the lift hill!

11/13/17

I've removed the motor components because I'll be using the 12V motor that I got with the new SS set I got last Sunday. It didn't come with the worm gear, so I'll have to order one from the knex website.

#11 YolosweggLord

YolosweggLord

Construction Foreman

• 138 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:54 AM

Now that’s a sturdier looking lift. The curved portion at the top looks quite satisfying to me, for some reason. Also, I know you haven’t mentioned it yet, but I’m liking the look of the layered track on that loop.

#12 OddlyCreative

OddlyCreative

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

Looks really good! What elements are you planing to add?

#13 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

Looks really good! What elements are you planing to add?

Possibly a dive loop, along with at least one corkscrew and a heartline roll.

#14 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Been a while since I've updated. Just finishing up on the station and the overbanked curve.

11/26/17

Due to speed concerns, there won't be a dive loop in the coaster as much of the train's speed is lost in the loop.

I've lubricated the cars, and it still doesn't make much of a difference in terms of speed.

#15 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Have you added any weight? I use batteries in mine and it helps a lot. What you have here looks nice so far, I would just add more connections from the tube supports to the track.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#16 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

That drop and loop combination looks very good but it does appeared to have killed a bit of speed. It's not too bad though. I did something similar on Black Hole and I just added a fast MCBR to bring a bit more speed back. I like the style of this coaster though. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#17 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Update time!

I've completed the overbanked turn and the corkscrew.

Bonus: The corkscrew interlocks with the loop!

12/6/17

Now I plan to have the track bank left under the drop, then climb up, where it will then encounter the mid-brake run.

At this rate, the coaster will most likely be completed by the end of the month.

#18 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

It might just be me or the angle at which the picture was taken, but I feel like the transition between the overbank and the corkscrew is too banked - like the entire pullout is taken at a 45 degree angle. Other than that, I really like it. Hope to see it going by Christmas!

#19 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

Sorry for being gone so long, holidays and all...

Unfortunately I have to cancel this project, I've ran out of track, pieces, and momentum (I did oil the cars, still no improvements). To add onto my reasoning, there are also some pretty major flaws with the project. In order for me to fix it I would have to start over from scratch. I really hate that I have to do this as in my opinion it's my best looking coaster to date.

Final video:

I plan to do much smaller and better planned out projects in the future however. I plan on recreating Montezooma's Revenge at Knott's Berry Farm plus 5 other projects for the rest of the year!

#20 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Bummer. I really liked the look of it, too.

Good luck on your next project! I have some good memories riding Montezooma's Revenge as a kid.