Volcano coaster

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Don’t think it’s possible to build a neater or more functional break run than the one you have here; absolutely fantastic!

#42 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

The funny thing is, I have no idea if jo-jo rolls are even any fun to ride.

They're very fun to ride  :P  But this looks like it'd be even more fun!

This is a gorgeous coaster and the creative layout tells me you've had a lot of fun building it. I can't wait to see the automation you have in store either! That part is as exciting for you as watching this construction has been for us (which is a lot!).

Posted Image

#43 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone!

Beautiful coaster. I hope you can pull off the theming, and I look forward to seeing the automation in action.

I don't either, but jo-jo rolls seem to be a classic element in k'nex coaster layouts.

Thank you! I'm now having second thoughts on the theming for a couple of reasons. One, it will be a TON of work and (depending on how my job interview goes) I might not have time before I have to dismantle this coaster and move out. Two, it would look really cool, but it would cover up the helix inside the mountain, and I'd like to be able to see that. Perhaps I can only cover certain parts of the mountain and leave the rest open? Kind of like how Expedition Everest only looks like a mountain from the front, but it's blank walls on the back.

Dang that looks awesome! I would like to see the station have a little more detail with a roof, and a catwalk for the break run and then i am happy! Can we see a full test run as well?

Ask and you shall receive! Well, the station roof at least. I'll be adding a catwalk to the brake run and beginning of the launch too. I couldn't get a test video, though, as all of a sudden my trains aren't making the full layout anymore. I may have to add more weights.

They're very fun to ride :P But this looks like it'd be even more fun!

This is a gorgeous coaster and the creative layout tells me you've had a lot of fun building it. I can't wait to see the automation you have in store either! That part is as exciting for you as watching this construction has been for us (which is a lot!).

Oh hi there Jumpge, thanks for stopping by :D You're darn right, I'm having a ton of fun with the automation! There's nothing I love more than to sit back and watch the coaster do its thing all by itself.

The automation is about 70% done. I'm using an Arduino and servo motors to control everything. And I'm finally getting to use that control panel!
There's also a contact switch in the station so I can get the train to stop in the right spot. Everything else (including the launch reset) will be estimated by timing. Basically, I turn on the launch reset motor for a specific amount of time and assume that the catch car will stop in the same place every time. That's how I automated Clockwork and it seemed to work well enough.

Attached File  20180309_093052.jpg   179.1KB   2 downloadsAttached File  20180309_093135.jpg   181.06KB   1 downloads
Attached File  20180309_093243.jpg   221.35KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20180309_093356.jpg   120.4KB   1 downloads
Attached File  20180309_100308.jpg   160.54KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20180309_095754.jpg   110.51KB   1 downloads
Attached File  20180309_093445.jpg   174.81KB   1 downloads
^ The weird blue thing just controls the voltage being sent to the launch reset motor. It's real sketchy, but it's cheaper than doing it the "right" way (with electronic relays).

• W5WAC0sTerS and rgarner42 like this

#44 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

Wow, stopped by and had to say I'm absolutely amazed by this coaster.  Great work from start to finish.  Can't wait to see it with theming!

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#45 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:19 AM

Wow. 

You've got the launch to reset pretty quickly. I love the chunky control panel. 

Can't wait to see it all in action. 

#46 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Looks spectacular, that'd be so cool if you could use those brakes you made for the brake run, also as anti roll back brakes for the launch like on top thrill dragster in case the train rolled back. They could act as a guide for the launch catch car I assume?

Edited by IOAgeek, 16 March 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#47 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:13 AM

Wow, stopped by and had to say I'm absolutely amazed by this coaster.  Great work from start to finish.  Can't wait to see it with theming!

Hey there, thanks! You should stop by more often :)

Wow. 
You've got the launch to reset pretty quickly. I love the chunky control panel. 
Can't wait to see it all in action.

Thanks. Yep, I'm really pleased with how fast it resets. It sure beats sitting around for 60 seconds between each run!

Looks spectacular, that'd be so cool if you could use those brakes you made for the brake run, also as anti roll back brakes for the launch like on top thrill dragster in case the train rolled back. They could act as a guide for the launch catch car I assume?

That... is a fantastic idea. That would look so cool - the brakes popping up right after the launch! I suppose you could put a bunch of those joints under the launch guides and shift them up and down. I'm pretty happy with the level of automation I've got, but I'd love to see someone else try it. Very cool idea!

Here's a quick video showing the completed automation. In manual mode, the panel prompts you to take the next action by flashing the correct button. It won't let you do anything out of order, such as releasing the launch before the train is attached. In automatic mode, the panel cycles the coaster without user input.

The control panel:

Attached File  20180316_204350-01.jpeg   130.72KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20180316_210056(0).jpg   86.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20180316_210525.jpg   156.29KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20180316_205921.jpg   206.65KB   0 downloads

I ended up using an encoder - the black cylinder next to the motor. It measures the rotation very precisely, so that I can stop the catch car in the exact same spot every time. At first I tried to do it just with timing, but that wasn't precise enough, and the train would often miss the catch car.

Attached File  20180316_215840.jpg   176.36KB   1 downloads

In other news, I adjusted the first turn because the shaping looked weird. And I added a catwalk to the brake run. I think it looks good, so I'll put one next to the launch as well.

Attached File  20180316_205748.jpg   234.67KB   2 downloadsAttached File  20180316_204438.jpg   194.17KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20180316_210729.jpg   143.48KB   1 downloads

• rgarner42 likes this

#48 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

Just incredible. :o  It all runs so smoothly. 

I love how the train rocks back on the catch car just before it launches. 

#49 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

I have actually been sort of following this on YouTube, and when I saw your latest update on this I decided to take a look on the forums. I must say I have really enjoyed reading through this entire topic, and I'm absolutely astonished by the amount of work you put in and how great this whole roller coaster looks. Obviously not only the coaster itself, but also the automation is truly a piece of artwork, or actually a piece of great engineering ;)

If I may, I have a few questions.

I'm really surprised such a small motor can reset the launch that fast, did you just buy the motor and hoped for the best? Is that weird blue thing you were talking about earlier actually a device mechanically controlling the voltage for the reset motor? Because that is totally awesome haha :). Last but not least, does the encoder just provide you with information on the rotational velocity of the output shaft, or are you also able to determine its position (I assume as long as you know the starting position)?

Also, I'm really amazed by your ability of keeping all the mechanics so compact and gentle, it compliments the realness a lot.

All in all, very well done sir  (thumbsup) !

Posted Image

#50 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

Just incredible. :o It all runs so smoothly.

I love how the train rocks back on the catch car just before it launches.

That's actually my favorite part of this entire coaster. Thanks!

I have actually been sort of following this on YouTube, and when I saw your latest update on this I decided to take a look on the forums. I must say I have really enjoyed reading through this entire topic, and I'm absolutely astonished by the amount of work you put in and how great this whole roller coaster looks. Obviously not only the coaster itself, but also the automation is truly a piece of artwork, or actually a piece of great engineering ;).

If I may, I have a few questions.

I'm really surprised such a small motor can reset the launch that fast, did you just buy the motor and hoped for the best? Is that weird blue thing you were talking about earlier actually a device mechanically controlling the voltage for the reset motor? Because that is totally awesome haha :). Last but not least, does the encoder just provide you with information on the rotational velocity of the output shaft, or are you also able to determine its position (I assume as long as you know the starting position)?

Also, I'm really amazed by your ability of keeping all the mechanics so compact and gentle, it compliments the realness a lot.

All in all, very well done sir (thumbsup) !

I knew there were some builders still lurking around on Youtube ;) Thank you for the kind words, that means a lot from you since you helped pioneer a lot of Arduino/servo automation! I've wanted to learn how to do it ever since you built Kumbai, and it took me a while but I'm finally there.

I already had the motor and gearbox. I was originally using a smaller motor and had it geared down more. I collected an assortment of spare motors & electronic parts while I was at college.
Yep, the blue thing is mechanically controlling the voltage. I have no clue how it works, but it's all analog. What can I say, I didn't have any motor drivers handy.
The encoder outputs 360 ticks per revolution, so I'm using it for relative position. After turning the motor on, it counts 4300 ticks from the encoder and then shuts off the motor.

Here's the code if anyone cares to look at it:

Spoiler

So now I'm just adding little details like the launch catwalk and the volcano.
Attached File  20180318_154426.jpg   191.12KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20180318_154501.jpg   126.89KB   1 downloads

EDIT: Real talk fam, I need a name for this soon. Volcania is my first thought but it sounds a bit obvious... what about Krakatoa? Or Vesuvius? Or Vulcan, the Greek god of fire?

#51 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

Little details are so hot. (H) Also, the white trains are strangely fitting. It's almost like a Pompeii feel or something. 

Edited by SCM, 18 March 2018 - 07:27 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#52 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Very nice catwalks indeed. First time putting them on your coasters before? I like Krakatoa a lot, reminds me of the slide at Volcano Bay!

#53 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

I'd go for Krakatoa or Vulcan. 

#54 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

Just wow...
This is a fantastic model (definitely competing with clockwork with regards to the control but with a far more exciting layout :P ).
One question for you; where did you purchase the control panel and what sort of price was it? (I may look into getting one for a current project of mine seeing how well it works here).

#55 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

Yep, and the trains happen to pop in contrast with the black volcano. A happy little accident!

Little details are so hot. (H) Also, the white trains are strangely fitting. It's almost like a Pompeii feel or something. 

Very nice catwalks indeed. First time putting them on your coasters before? I like Krakatoa a lot, reminds me of the slide at Volcano Bay!

Yeah, this is my first time putting significant effort into the theming. Also, that slide is super fun, I was just there in November!

Just wow...
This is a fantastic model (definitely competing with clockwork with regards to the control but with a far more exciting layout :P ).
One question for you; where did you purchase the control panel and what sort of price was it? (I may look into getting one for a current project of mine seeing how well it works here).

Thank you! The control panel was given to me by one of my friends at college. I'm not sure where he got the panel itself, but the buttons are Allen-Bradley buttons and they cost over $100 each. If I built the panel myself, I would have used $5 buttons instead. But Allen-Bradley is the way to go for authenticity.

So the name is decided.

200.gif

Just kidding, I made a real logo.

Spoiler

Rockwork on the mountain is almost done. I'll start on the final video in a few days!

Attached File  20180322_133549.jpg   170.77KB   2 downloadsAttached File  20180322_153336-01.jpeg   190KB   1 downloads

• rgarner42 likes this

#56 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Love the rock work, and the dives through and around the volcano. 

Definitely up there with the best!

#57 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

^ I second that. | That terrain looks like a pain igneous to make... but totally worth it. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#58 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

That's awesome! The paint/texture looks better than any plain old paper I've ever used.

#59 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

Great coaster, great theming, great name!

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#60 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

^ I second that. | That terrain looks like a pain igneous to make... but totally worth it.

Well..... that happened. But yes, haha, it was a pain igneous! Actually, painting it was easy, but it sucked gluing all the pieces together so that the overlaps blend in. I got so much hot glue on my fingers. Still 10x better than super glue though!

That's awesome! The paint/texture looks better than any plain old paper I've ever used.

Thanks! And thank you for motivating me to attempt it. I think the black paint happens to work because it looks like volcanic rock. But maybe gray or other colors would work for a regular mountain. You should give it a try sometime!

The final video is coming along nicely. I'm trying to include a lot of how-it-works stuff.