The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44521 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

First week done of my placement. It's going pretty well I think and a bit money in the bank too which is a bonus. Went out to take photographs of a leaky building today which has just been bodged so many times in recent years, it's kinda hilarious and shocking at the same time. Always nice to get outside and see things in reality though.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44522 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

I think I'll do classics reborn from 2012, but I'll have to see if I can actually make one of those with the pieces I have. That contest was going on while I was looking through this website for the first time...

Edit: Coasters were a lot shorter back then it seems... I think I'll be doing Challenger, the invert found here http://www.sscoaster...challenger-r240. I think the layout is short enough for the pieces I have and inverts always look cool. My second choice would be Stunt Flight, but I don't think I'll have any problems with speed or anything like that since I'll probably build it backwards since I'm basically doing a recreation so I know the layout beforehand.

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 23 June 2017 - 10:20 PM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#44523 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

Cisco's vibe powers would be so helpful right now...

I'm watching the episode right now where he discovers his powers.... O.o  Not a coincidence at all.

Back to School season is already in full swing at work (Staples). The pallets and pallets of composition notebooks have finally made their way onto the floor and the fun isn't going to stop; it's going to be a long three months.... In other news, finally finishing some old orchestrations and will eventually get them printed! My HS alma matter is considering performing one of the "arrangements" piece (an 8-minute reorchestration and mash-up of several major songs written for full orchestra) if they won't tackle the musical for spring 2018 (it's really technical and difficult for the average HS player). Exciting times ahead! And I found out I have enough money saved up to go back to school in the fall (different school)! Been two years out of school, so it's been a challenge getting the math and physics back up to par. Still no time or room to build, though I yearn to get back into it some day!

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 24 June 2017 - 10:12 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44524 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

^You're right. In my dream, I vibed that you were watching that episode. All I had to do was post at the right time. (Are you just starting to watch the show? Well, you're pretty far into S1...) 

Do we have to wait to do the summer heat coasters? I have made my choice. 

Edited by SCM, 25 June 2017 - 11:13 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44525 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

Speaking of Summer Heat, I was looking at inverts since I was planning to build Challenger for classics reborn, and it brought up a question I've had for a long time: Why are zero g rolls on inverts more like a hill with a barrel roll stuck in the middle? Never have known the answer to this.

39751.png

#44526 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Working on something right now... ;) Can't wait to show it! Super pumped for summer heat!

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44527 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

I, too, know what I'm going to build. I don't think I'll make a construction thread for it though.

Most of my time will be spent trying to make $900 for a new go-kart motor. I went an blew the motor last time out. Not a cheap thing obviously. My dad will buy the motor so we can race friday, but i will need to pay him back.

1 cylinder racing motor - $900
1974 F-100 truck (108,000 miles) - $1,000

#44528 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

I know what I want to build, I just need to see if it fits any of the past summer heat's rules. If not, I'll put that idea on hold until fall.

4 Windseekers and counting...

#44529 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:46 AM

Speaking of Summer Heat, I was looking at inverts since I was planning to build Challenger for classics reborn, and it brought up a question I've had for a long time: Why are zero g rolls on inverts more like a hill with a barrel roll stuck in the middle? Never have known the answer to this.

Because heartlining. The train starts below the track and when it flips, it ends up a above so to keep a parabolic path, the track has to be lower in the middle so it ends up quite flat.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#44530 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Ah, I see now when I look at where the trains are going rather than the track itself that it follows the same path as the trains would on a zero g roll on a sitdown.

Also, has anyone made a vekoma slc with knex? I know everyone hates them but I think it would look quite nice.

39751.png

#44531 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

Ah, I see now when I look at where the trains are going rather than the track itself that it follows the same path as the trains would on a zero g roll on a sitdown.
Also, has anyone made a vekoma slc with knex? I know everyone hates them but I think it would look quite nice.

I've seen like two attempts, both micro. One was from the old, OLD days of SSC, and the other one was an attempt from NcCoaster. His attempt was glorious, but it got cancelled. I think it would be great in k'nex.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44532 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

After riding T3 2 weeks ago I thought about attempting an SLC recreation. If you're thinking about it, I'd get a good view of the first drop, as it has some really weird banking.

4 Windseekers and counting...

#44533 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

The thing about the inverts makes sense when you put it like that, CW5X. / I don't mean to be pushy or rude or anything, but will there be a welcome thread for Summer Heat as usual? I'm not sure if it's started or not. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44534 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

Ah no I don't think there is any way I could recreate an SLC properly with micro lol, layout is too long.

I've seen like two attempts, both micro. One was from the old, OLD days of SSC, and the other one was an attempt from NcCoaster. His attempt was glorious, but it got cancelled. I think it would be great in k'nex.

I can't find NcCoaster's attempt on his youtube channel, unless it's only on ssc? Was it maybe someone else you were thinking of? I really want to find this...

39751.png

#44535 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

The thing about the inverts makes sense when you put it like that, CW5X. / I don't mean to be pushy or rude or anything, but will there be a welcome thread for Summer Heat as usual? I'm not sure if it's started or not. 

I have struggled to find the old Summer Heat rules. Anyone have some time to search through the site on here and on the Waybackmachine?

Start here in 2010: https://web.archive..../sscoasters.net

Edit: I think I found everything I hide previously with the topics.

#44536 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

I have struggled to find the old Summer Heat rules. Anyone have some time to search through the site on here and on the Waybackmachine?

Start here in 2010: https://web.archive..../sscoasters.net

Some of the pictures to go along with the rules, such as in the Tetris thread, are still missing. From what I can tell, everything else is there.  Here's a list of them, starting from 2010. ;)

Edited by SCM, 27 June 2017 - 02:40 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44537 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

So... much... CHOOOOIIIICEEEEE. :D

Tyndrum

#44538 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

Some of the pictures to go along with the rules, such as in the Tetris thread, are still missing. From what I can tell, everything else is there.  Here's a list of them, starting from 2010. ;)

Yeah, I had to unhide those forums for the time being. I had forgotten they exist being hidden for almost 2 years.

#44539 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

How come there hasnt been a top model contest in a while? Is it from the lack of quality and quantity of coasters and rides being built throughout the year? Maybe there could be just two top models each year from the usual of three tbh?

#44540 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

How come there hasnt been a top model contest in a while? Is it from the lack of quality and quantity of coasters and rides being built throughout the year? Maybe there could be just two top models each year from the usual of three tbh?

Yeah I would enter it if it were brought back. It'd be another contest for me to get 1 vote on :P.

I don't know if someone has asked this, but can we do more than one contest? Even if it were something like only contests from one year or something.

39751.png