chain jesper launch rubberbands

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

There's a way to "Print to PDF" through MS Word. I think you have to d/l a plug-in if you're on a PC, and it's standard if you're on a Mac.

And, I think it goes without saying that, Jesper, you are the man. Can't wait for the "push" tutorial.

SSCoasters Veteran

The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Coming Eventually.
There's a new storm a-brewin'...
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#42 msoccerkidm

msoccerkidm

Engibeer

• 699 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

i look forward to using this... great job.

Posted Image
thanx CC10

#43 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'm on a PC and I tried putting all the pics in Word but it took up one pic per page, and I'm not going to use that much paper.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#44 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

^ You can take it to a store like Kinko's or Staples and have them print it up for you. It's really cheap, even if you use the nice paper, like the KNex booklets do.

#45 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

I'm on a PC and I tried putting all the pics in Word but it took up one pic per page, and I'm not going to use that much paper.

I already made something like this 2 pics per page it's on the first page

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#46 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hey I have a neat idea for you to work with. Insted of everytime you eant to launch it you have to pull the chaain back by hand you should hook up a motor and gear it down for tork and then have it do it automaticly. Im building the toturia now and im playing around with it changing a few things.

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#47 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

^^^^You could always use front and back...

Hey I have a neat idea for you to work with. Instead of every time you want to launch it you have to pull the chain back by hand you should hook up a motor and gear it down for torque and then have it do it automatically. Im building the tutorial now and im playing around with it changing a few things.

I never get tired of shunning you. Learn to spell.

And if you DID get it to reset with a motor, you would have to find a way for the motor to detach.

#48 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

^^ Dude, do you even read what you write before you post it? C'mon, seriously...toturia?!
And BTW, 'tork' is spelled 'torque'.

I want to make a coaster with a 20' long launch now...:D

^ I did it...not that complicated. Heck, I might even make an automatic launch for my next launched coaster.

#49 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

Hey I have a neat idea for you to work with. Instead of every time you want to launch it you have to pull the chain back by hand you should hook up a motor and gear it down for torque and then have it do it automatically. I'm building the tutorial now and I'm playing around with it changing a few things.

So what you're saying is that you are trying to get the launch reset automatically?
It would be great but there are a few problems:

1: This should be a very powerful motor because the tension of the rubber bands will increase when you are pulling it back. By hand, it's no problem, but if you are winding the chain back by twisting a gear, the tension will be increased and it will be more difficult to twist the gear.
2: If you found a solution for the tension, you have to make sure the winding stops at a certain point. Otherwise it will rip the chain parts apart or/and the rubber band might break.

But honestly, I HAVEN'T TRIED ANYTHING AT ALL at those points, but I HAVE thought about it very, very long. I even came up with a tower next to the launch where some heavy things can pull the chain back to a certain point. But You should reset that as well.

So I know it would be awesome if the launch would reset itself. But we haven't find anything yet;)

The push mechanism is having a delay:
Next week I'm having a test week so this weekend I should be studying!
And finishing other school assignments and reports.
I wish I could work on the tutorial...

My signature is expericing a temporay delay and has therefore seized operation.

#50 BuilderBoy

BuilderBoy

Boy that builds

• 336 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

If the only problem with removing the bottom half is the chain guard, couldn't you just remove that too? Or maybe you could use little black connector/rods to elevate the guard so it can be laid on the ground/carpet without being flat.

Posted Image
^You Rock Immelmann!^

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig.

My Coasters:
10-G's Icicle Sidewinder

Built By Me:
Rodney the Rocker

Under Construction:
Freefall Tower

#51 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

If the only problem with removing the bottom half is the chain guard, couldn't you just remove that too?

The chain guard, rail, or guide, is there to hold the chain in place when it locks. Otherwise the lock-mechanism wouldn't work.

Or maybe you could use little black connector/rods to elevate the guard so it can be laid on the ground/carpet without being flat.

Great thinking!:tmbs

*checks the space between the bottom gears and the chain guide*

It doesn't fit directly:

Posted Image

But when you also put black connectors on the round black connector, this will raise the gear and it would fit:

Posted Image

#52 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

• 2654 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Now is a time for the people who have lego mindstorms, to use it for an automatic launch.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

^The motors aren't strong enough. Not even all three together. I mean, sure, you can have it trigger the launch, but you could probably make that without mindstorms by moving the trigger closer to the start of the launch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#54 BuilderBoy

BuilderBoy

Boy that builds

• 336 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

Now is a time for the people who have lego mindstorms, to use it for an automatic launch.

Trust me, I have lego mindstorms and have experimented with it for a long time. If I learned anything in that time its that the motors are EXTREMELY weak. They can't do anything unless they are worm geared or double/triple motored. Although, I did use the sensors and motors to operate my station chain one time (start and stop it). :tmbs

^^^Sweet that would DEFINITLY save a TON of pieces by taking out a whole beam of support! :D

Posted Image
^You Rock Immelmann!^

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig.

My Coasters:
10-G's Icicle Sidewinder

Built By Me:
Rodney the Rocker

Under Construction:
Freefall Tower

#55 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

but you could probably make that without mindstorms by moving the trigger closer to the start of the launch.

See video:

And notice the crappy speed when the rubber band won't get far from the point it was.
EDIT1: Since the chain part where the rubber band is connected to can't get over the trigger, otherwise it will pop up (like you can see in the video) and the trigger would get stuck. So I think moving the trigger closer to the start of the launch isn't a great idea, unless you want to lose speed. (It's the same as moving the wheel that is connected to the rubber band more towards the end of the launch, the tension will remain high.)

And I don't have Lego Mindstorms so don't bother asking me to try that out.:)

EDIT2: I'm not saying that all your ideas are bad, not at all. I'm just making replies that contain hopefully useful information (I hope).
EDIT3: The sentence above this is probably not proper English. My apologies.

#56 msoccerkidm

msoccerkidm

Engibeer

• 699 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

are you going to post how to make it launch by pushing the "button" or rod.

Posted Image
thanx CC10

#57 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

^

The push mechanism is having a delay:
Next week I'm having a test week so this weekend I should be studying!
And finishing other school assignments and reports.
I wish I could work on the tutorial...

*Wonders what I'm doing at SSC right now*

#58 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

Since the chain part where the rubber band is connected to can't get over the trigger, otherwise it will pop up (like you can see in the video) and the trigger would get stuck. So I think moving the trigger closer to the start of the launch isn't a great idea, unless you want to lose speed. (It's the same as moving the wheel that is connected to the rubber band more towards the end of the launch, the tension will remain high.)

But what if you added more of these... thingies, for lack of a better word...

Posted Image

...on the outside of the launch*, and attach the end to a rod that goes under the track (like in the ladder connectors here) and has a connector or two to rotate the trigger rod...? It's not moving the actual chain-lock but the trigger rod that releases it.

*(Probably connected to the black rod, but I'm sure there'd be a way to stick it inside.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#59 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

...on the outside of the launch*, and attach the end to a rod that goes under the track (like in the ladder connectors here) and has a connector or two to rotate the trigger rod...? It's not moving the actual chain-lock but the trigger rod that releases it.

*(Probably connected to the black rod, but I'm sure there'd be a way to stick it inside.)

Do you mean moving the trigger (the blue rod that locks the chain in place) towards the end of the launch? If so, I thought I already made that clear. (In the video the trigger is also one red rod size towards the end of the launch, which gives the rubber band more space to stretch).

I'm currently taking some pictures for you, TripleHelix, to show you what I mean by the chain will "pop-up".

EDIT: THIS is what I meant by popping up, and when the rubber band passed the blue rod THIS can occur.

(So anybody, please comment! I don't like to double post:))

#60 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

• 2654 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

NOONE POST I WANT TO ANNOY HIM!!!

Oh...Wait a minute!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chain, jesper, launch, rubberbands