Stats Model Statistics
Completed 2011
Coaster Type Wooden Coaster
Height 2" 9"
# of Vehicles 1

Photos Photos
Whirlwind
Video

Description This is my 2nd woodie. It was built for the 2011 Winter contest, which had restrictions of 100 yellow box max area and 200 max crossties.The coaster is based on green boxes. The total area of the coaster is computed as follows.The layout is an 8*4 green rectangle with 2 half circles of radius = 2 green rods on each end plus 6 green X blue boxes for the station and stairs.Green = sqrt(2)* Yellow Area = 8G*4G + pi*(2G)^2 +3 Green SquaresArea = 8*sqrt(2)*4*sqrt(2) + pi*(2*sqrt(2))^2 + 3*2 Yellow SquaresArea = 64 + 25.133 + 6Area = 95.133 Yellow squares.The entire ride fits on a 6' X 2.5' table.A total of 195 crossties were used.A new custom woodie style train was built for this ride painted in metallic blue with chrome stripe.

Comments 6 Comments
Photo
Kevyn230
I just LOL'ed at the song, 'you must be this tall to ride this ride'! Anyway, really good coaster and I love it. It shows small coasters can be long and kick-ass!
  • Mar 11 2011 01:42 PM
Photo
The Stig
I really like how you've managed to get such a lengthy layout with the crosstie limit. This is one of the most practical and realistic looking woodies on the site. The layout and station are very well done and accentuate the classic woodie look. Excellent work.
  • Mar 21 2011 10:24 PM
Photo
Roy
Wow! Such a great layout in such a small space. I like the way you painted the cars with the silver stripe. Well Done!
  • Mar 22 2011 07:21 AM
Photo
ForgotToGrowUp
I've been running this coaster a lot. It's in the living room and with electric motors it is pretty quiet so I turn it on whenever I am just hanging out. It's probably been run at least 60 hours and about 4 times I noticed the train was stuck at the bottom of the lift and the chain was not running. I a little bump on the train got it going again. I thought it was slack in the chain allowing it to wrap around the bottom gear so I re-routed the chain and got a smoother run which didn't have as much slack. As a bonus, this modification got rid of that little stutter when the train gets to the top of the lift and shifted from the front to rear chain dog. Turns out the slack had nothing to do with the train getting stuck. It happened again and this time I figured out it was one of the wheels jamming between the gear and the track tube. Fixed that too so now it runs better than ever. And a big thanks to everyone who voted for this coaster in the Winter Contest!
  • Mar 22 2011 01:01 PM
Photo
alpal
I am so jealous that you can have your coaster running for so long. I could only run Wolverine Wildcat for about 4-5 hours total before we (My friend and I) demolished it. I also love your cars.
  • Mar 26 2011 08:38 PM
Photo
DJJ
WOW! Awesome work! Working on a wooden one too now! You motivated me of making a wooden one! So thanks! (Finaly a good spring project!) Cool! Keep up the good work! DJJ
  • Apr 07 2012 05:52 AM

Builder Built by ForgotToGrowUp

• KirbyCoast likes this

More ModelsSimilar Models