• -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
Photo
Description I used to be apart of the community about 10 or so years ago now, my old online name was 54321knex, iv'e since deleted all my videos from the youtube acocunt. im 21 now and getting back into knex. wondering how much of a comunity is still left.

Comments 8 Comments
Photo
PhantomCoasters
that looks great so far! Welcome back, although it new lol
  • Jan 07 2020 07:00 PM
    • thegamingninja likes this
Photo
FrIeDeGgS

Welcome back! There's still a few of us around, but the community is definitely a lot smaller now.

• Jan 09 2020 06:53 PM
Photo
thegamingninja

thats nice to see, you know if there is anyone big from the uk from where i live? also its difficult to finds ss sets and anywhere to get parts nowdays know anywhere that isnt knex user thing? there overpriced

Welcome back! There's still a few of us around, but the community is definitely a lot smaller now.

• Jan 12 2020 07:06 PM
Photo
FrIeDeGgS

thats nice to see, you know if there is anyone big from the uk from where i live? also its difficult to finds ss sets and anywhere to get parts nowdays know anywhere that isnt knex user thing? there overpriced

I've found some pretty good deals on the goodwill auction website and Facebook marketplace (although IDK if goodwill ships to the UK or not). SS sets aren't very common on Goodwill (I've gotten 4 SS-style sets over 2-3 months), but when they pop up it's usually a decent deal. Other than that, you might be able to find some SS sets at your local thrift stores. 

• Jan 12 2020 07:50 PM
Photo
thegamingninja

I've found some pretty good deals on the goodwill auction website and Facebook marketplace (although IDK if goodwill ships to the UK or not). SS sets aren't very common on Goodwill (I've gotten 4 SS-style sets over 2-3 months), but when they pop up it's usually a decent deal. Other than that, you might be able to find some SS sets at your local thrift stores. 

thats the thing, i dont think the ss set was ever sold in the uk, so they are very rare to find here, ive been super lucky to get 3 of them over the last 6 months with my 4th that came in the post today, i found somone on ebay who sells bulk order stuff but it was quite pricey, i basicly got 2 ss sets worth of the important stuff to you use lots of in a big coaster. 

200 metallic blue connectors

200 4 way 3D grey connectors

100 grey 2 way connectors

250 metallic green rods

100 large grey rods

200 granite grey rods

240 green crossties

40ft purple tubing

but it coaster £75, thas about $100 or so.

so in total ive got about 6 sets worth now of that list there, and 4 sets worth of all the other stuff. i really wana make the smiler from alton towers a 14 invertion coaster how ever i still dont think i have enough stuff to make it without boosters, which is my goal. 

• Jan 13 2020 09:07 AM
Photo
thegamingninja

Just incase anyone was wondering, this project got cancelled. I ended up building a 180 bank under the lift hill into a pair of interlocking corkscrews with another 180 bank connecting the corkscrews, It worked maybe   7/8 times out 10 witht he extra weight and lubed up wheels but  I would have  had to make a chain lift into the station to mach the starting height of the lift hill, I also was not to happy with some of the shaping of the ride and decided to just scrap it. 

I'v since build the hydrolic launch and top hat for a Stealth at Thorpe Park recreation, an intermin accelerator top hat launch coaster, since there is only the braking airtime  hill to complete i feel this will be my first true knex coaster back.

depending on how long it takes me to complete while working and spending time with my girlfriend I should be starting The Smiler recreation either next or the project after next. Will have to use Jonny's bearing assembly's for that though since I really don't like using booster's (feels like it takes away from the realism of  a recreation for me)

In talks atm about ordering some though, super exciting since I remember speed distance of the  trains being the main limiting factors back when I was about 12 years old or so trying to recreate colossus at Thorpe park.

List of my favourite UK coasters (in no order) are as followers: Whickerman - Nemesis - Nemesis Inferno - Colossus - The  Smiler  (prob no 1 tbh) - and even though its kinda short I really enjoy The Swarm.

And finaly a list of things i would really love to recreate: The Smiler - Colossus  - Saw The Ride  - and a custom Rmc

• Feb 14 2020 09:37 PM
Photo
FrIeDeGgS

Just so you know, recreating Smiler will be VERY hard. You'll need lots of pieces, and the track will probably end up being at least 70m long. Someone had recreated it a few years ago, but they had few pieces and needed several boosters to finish it.

• Feb 15 2020 05:55 PM
    • thegamingninja likes this
Photo
thegamingninja

Just so you know, recreating Smiler will be VERY hard. You'll need lots of pieces, and the track will probably end up being at least 70m long. Someone had recreated it a few years ago, but they had few pieces and needed several boosters to finish it.

Yh it will be difficult but I'm thinking of working backwards so I know I've got enough speed for eatch element. also I wont be even begining to build the Smiler until, ive got a set of jhonny's bearing trains, should be buying some soon. 

• Feb 15 2020 09:19 PM

More PicsSimilar Pics
  •  New map coming to...
  •  Working on a new...
    Workshop Wednesday
    HOT
  •  The helix of deat...
    HOT
  •  Krampus preview
  •  (Wave Turn Constr...
    New Construction