• -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
Photo
Description Hello! I am new to the community and this is my first post I thought was a great idea. For my Bachelor's of Arts capstone, I have been designing a modular train design that allows different styles of cars to be swapped quickly without screws. Here is just the assembly to show how the cars would fit on. I am looking at designing inverted, flying, and wing cars as of now with the intention to create more. These assemblies are made to fit standard sets using measurement tolerances from the Screamin' Serpent train.

Comments 4 Comments
Photo
JohnnyR24

Welcome to SS Coasters, glad you're posting stuff! I've been designing various assemblies the past couple years, so it's fun to see yours as well. Just be cautious that if you are designing your assemblies with the two wheels side by side for the road, side and upstop wheel, it is more imperative you have to include joint/connections that can allow the wheel assemblies to have pitch and yaw apart from the rest of the assemblies. Someone linked this video on a post I made and I found it quite informative (https://www.youtube....h?v=mHC_69lVVfo). Look forward to seeing the progress on these! 

• Apr 17 2020 03:13 PM
Photo
Coasterking
It would be so cool if I could use both Johnnys creation and yours in one! Hopefully little speed loss...
  • Apr 18 2020 12:17 PM
Photo
Volticas

Welcome to SS Coasters, glad you're posting stuff! I've been designing various assemblies the past couple years, so it's fun to see yours as well. Just be cautious that if you are designing your assemblies with the two wheels side by side for the road, side and upstop wheel, it is more imperative you have to include joint/connections that can allow the wheel assemblies to have pitch and yaw apart from the rest of the assemblies. Someone linked this video on a post I made and I found it quite informative (https://www.youtube....h?v=mHC_69lVVfo). Look forward to seeing the progress on these! 

Love this feedback, Johnny! Took a look at your work and saw the ball bearing designs. I know concaved bearings are made, but not sure if in the scale that fit these models or even if flanged would be viable. I did take a look at the video and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I lost studio access to test whether or not the dual-wheel design would perform as expected. However, adding a joint would definitely help and will look into incorporating that on future designs! Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps! I did finalize these with the finished models I will be posting soon!

• Apr 27 2020 10:59 AM
Photo
Volticas

It would be so cool if I could use both Johnnys creation and yours in one! Hopefully little speed loss...

Coasterking, thanks for the feedback! I did use tolerances from the original cars to be sure to have a nice fit between the wheels. Did think about using bearings as wheels like Johnny did in his designs (awesome prototypes, definitely check them out!). These will still need to be tested, but I lost my studio that had 3D printers, unfortunately.

• Apr 27 2020 11:01 AM

More PicsSimilar Pics
  •  Riding the Wave
  •  IonZer0 - RCT2 RM...
    HOT
  •  Laminate flooring
  •  Cheeky something
    New Construction
    HOT
  •  Legos and Blocks