How to build tube supports

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

SInce I have been looking around this site for a while now I have been noticing a lot of members like building with tube supports. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give this a shot! So all this week and all of next week I will be showing you guys how to build with tubes and different shapes and angels. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Here are a couple picks of the sizes but most of you should all ready know them by now.

White Tube
Posted Image
Blue Tubes
Posted Image
Yellow or Black Tubes
Posted Image
Metallic Green or Red Tubes
Posted Image
Gray Tubes
Posted Image
All Tubes
Posted Image

#2 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:43 AM

That's really basic, but yeah, these (and especially the largest two) are important in tube support design.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#3 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

when i build them i build the tube more continuous so it is hard to change the size of it.

Posted Image

#4 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

Helpful. Can you do some dual tube and A-frame examples?

*edit* I guess I got distracted by the pictures and didn't read all of your first post. I'll look forward to updates.

#5 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Chapter 1

Building the base for the support column. Many people use different types of base supports to keep the tube in place here's one example Speed O Fear had a very easy base to build to hold the tubes in place. Today I am going to show you how to build Speed O Fears Base

Step one build this! Make suer that all steps are correct.
Posted Image
step two: Add spacers to the 4 white rods.
Posted Image
Step Three: Add the grey locks on top of the spacers like so
Posted Image
Step Four: then add blue locks to hold the tube in place.
Posted Image
Step Five: place white or silver rods on the bottom of the tube either side is fine
Posted Image
Step Six: place the tube in the center of the base.
Posted Image
It should look like this when completed. Comment's are welcome

#6 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Of course! It all makes sense now.
This makes me want to revise my wobbly support bases.
I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite tut thread.

#7 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

this is basically what i do, except mine i have a blue and gray 3d together in the center with a blue rog on the top, then insert the tube and dot the rest but with 90 degree connectors on the top instead of single coonecters on the rod.

Posted Image

#8 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

You should build tube to tube connecters next. Ex: A Frame- supports

Posted Image

#9 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

this should be stickied

Posted Image

#10 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Well..... The problem is that when the weight of the tube/coaster gets put on it. It will, A. Will unconnect the white rods that hold it up. becouse the connection for the rod is vertical. So it will just slip right out. 2. The tube's grey rods will just slip right through the white snowflake connector. If you look at the support connections on my Giga's tube supports. The are very stable:

Posted Image

But I like the idea of this thread.
Keep it up! I would just check them first, to make sure that there strong, and can hold up alot of weight.

KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#11 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

You guys asked for it. You got it!

Chapter 2: Basic A frame building. The A frame is simple it just depends on how big you want it or how small. I'm still going with speed O Fears structure cause thats the only one I know how to build so far so bare with me. I am going to show you how to build the wrap around turn on speed o fear and placing the track on as well.

this is how far I got last night. I might get the chance to finish this tonight or tomorrow so inspect some updates.

Step 1: Is basically the same. build the base
Posted Image
step 2: Extend the tubes by placing 2 half moon connectors and 2 brown connectors
Posted Image
Step 3: It should look like this when it's complete.
Posted Image
Step 4: building the turn to hold the tubes in place be sure that they are built correctly as shown on both sides.
Posted Image
be sure to extend the center as well in the middle
Left side
Posted Image
Right side of turn
Posted Image
Step 5: Place another tube on the left side and place gray rods to connect the both of them.
Posted ImageStep 6: Basically the same thing just add another tube on the right side.
Posted Image
Step 7: You Should have this when it's Finished.
Posted Image
Again I might have the A frame section done later tonight or Tomorrow Comment's are appreciated .

#12 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

Cool but, the coaster in the background need more banking on the drop. :D

#13 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

How about layering the tubes?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

I like this thread alot, esp since I'm building w/tubes right now. I figured I'd add something to it, I hope u don't mind.
When I started w/tubes, i had problems keeping the headers from moving down the tube. In other words, i needed to secure the snowflake connector at the top somehow, so the header would stay in place over time. Here is an example of a secured header on an adjustable loop tube support:

Posted Image

Look at the front tube. Notice the ball joint holding the track is connected to the purple/blue 3d. (I like using ball joints bcuz they are adjustable) The 3d is held in place by 4 blue rods attached to the end of brown ladders (u can only see 2 of them well). Here is the footer of same tube:

Posted Image

The 2 front greys are in the same location on the tube as the 2 blue rods in the above photo, and are held by the ball joints at the bottom. This way the 3d can't slide down at all.

Here's another example of a tube with a ball joint header held in place by a blue/purple 3d:

Posted Image

The 3d is kept from sliding down by the grey single hinge attached to the white rod.

Posted Image

The white rod is butted against a grey that continues all the way down to the footer. (it's actually 2 greys connected by a brown ladder, but u get the point)

Posted Image

This footer is more solid than the last one, but hinges for angling. Well, I hope this helps some people. If there's a better or nicer looking method, let me know.

#15 BubbleMan 32714

BubbleMan 32714

V Cube Solver

• 717 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the example Chaindogg33 I appreciate it. If any of you feel the need to show some other examples go right ahead. This forum is open to every one.

Chapter 2 continued

Step 8: Place 2 black or yellow rods with brown connecters as shown here place a blue rod in the middle of the 2 brown connecters do the same for the left and right ones too. This is in the center tube which is the highest one.
Posted Image
Step 9: Place these 4 pieces as shown on the top of the center tube
Posted Image
Step 10: Place an Orange or white 45* connecter on all blue rods as shown
Posted Image
Step 11: now build and extend the tube as seen here.
Posted Image
Note: connect the tube to the 45* connecter once it has been built.
Step 12: Adding the tracK. This step is quite simple really just place the track to the on the highest tube which has the 4 pieces on it and do the same on the 2 bottom tubes.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Once you have done that Congrats you have built a partial wrap around turn. Comments suggestions and concerns are appreciated.

#16 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

That is not the correct way to build tube support footers. You want to have the tube to be connected to the base as sturdy as possible.

In this picture you can see how I connect my vertical tubes to the ground. Notice that there is a BLACK snow flake connector right underneath the tube, to support all the grey rods!

Edited by Jogumpie, 04 September 2013 - 12:23 PM.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#17 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

you havent built that right, the track is way too tight and the 2 tubes closest to the middle dont get diagonal tubes

Posted Image

#18 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

How do you connect your supports to your track?

#19 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

This thread is great, but can we keep expanding on somethings. I would love to see more examples of connections to bases and also to the track.

I built a few tube supports to use to modify a pirate ship ride, the biggest issue I notice with the supports is that they want to bow when placed on an angle, how do you over come this?

#20 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

^ I agree. I really liked this tut.