Coaster Memories thread

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

Share your favorite coaster memories here.

Way back in 1997, my family took our first trip to Six Flags Over Georgia. At the end of the day, my parents let me venture out on my own for about two hours, until the park closed. Starting with Ninja, I made my way to the back of the park, where I re-rode Viper. The ride was awesome at night, and it was so late in the day that the ride had no line at all. I decided that I was going to ride Viper in every row of the train, a total of 14 times. I got in about 11 rides, back to back (the back row was my favorite).

The ride was so short and simple, that I fell in love with Viper. It had everything I could ask for: launch, inversion, weightlessness, forward and backwards travel, down-time, no queue wait, and a height requirement of only 48", meaning the whole family could ride (but I was going solo).

To this day, the night when I 'owned' Viper remains as my favorite ride experience.

#2 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

In BGT I got in line for Kumba, but no one was in line. I hopped in front row, barely anyone else on the train, and I rode it five times straight, at night, with a slight drizzle. Best coaster experience I've had up to date.

Posted Image

#3 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Last year we went to Hershey Park, for the halloween in the park thing. We rode Fahrenheit soo many x like 6 or 7 at least, I rode in the front row 3x and the middle rows the other 3 or 4 x. It was great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#4 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
i would have to say my one ride on mr. freeze at sfot, it was amazing, and the theming is great, i live in ohio though

Posted Image

#5 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Going into Hershey after 5 this summer and ridding Storm Runner 8 times, Fahrenheit twice, and Lightning Racers 8 times all in that 5 hours was defiantly awesome.

Also getting the last ride of the day on Millennium Force after Mid-night in October with it being pitch black is also up there.

Meeting Marc, Kevin, and Ben was also pretty awesome, I still wish we could've got that photo of us all on Diamondback though...

My Manta 100th credit ride was also pretty awesome.

Oh and getting to ride coasters while in Austria for a swimming trip, epic win :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#6 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hm.... Well I mini-marathoned Dback and I305. I also got on Magnum 6 times in a row, walk on....

My last ride on I305 was a night ride, too. That was nice.

#7 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Did not like my first coaster ride. Best memory(s) are in 2009 when I rode Time Machine for the 11th time at night, front seat, going down the first drop gave me shivers, and there was a cool breeze. Was awesome. Other memory was lateer that year on goliath at SFoG. Got in on the last train of the day. Waited for front seat but they moved me to middle if I wanted to ride. Going over the second hill into the pond was one of the best experiences too.

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#8 RCmaniac31

RCmaniac31

a "Six Flags" day?

• 592 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

My first big roller coaster: Ninja at SFSL. I cried my eyes out going up the lift. When the ride was over, I loved it and rode it 5 more times.

Also, my first trip to CP. It was a pretty unexpected trip because we were on our way back from NY and planned it on the way. It was a really gloomy day and I can remember climbing the lift, what a feeling...

And one more- first time on TTD....... When I got to the top.... HOLY MOTHER F***ER... good times...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Top Five:
Millennium Force
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick
Tatsu
Raging Bull

Have a Six Flags Day!

#9 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

My favorite one so far is when I went on TTD with my dad in the front. I remember on the launch bugs hit my face and I thought they were pellets! Also at the top looking down my dad sayed "Holy crap Ben!" because I had choose the front. Afterwards we went to the bathroom and there we found out that the "pellets" where bugs and that our hair was shot all the way back. I didn't think that it was scary at all, and that's how my dad and I think all coasters that we go on are like, but I think this one was a little too much for him to handle. And by the way, my first coaster with a loop was the Ninja (SFSL) too!

#10 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

lol same thing happened to me.

riding MF at night was pretty awasome. it was at about 11:00 at night and we had been in line for 3 hours. came of freezing cold and just in awe

#11 mynci321

mynci321

100%

• 664 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Probably the best time I've had on a coaster in a while happened just a few weekends ago. I was at Carowinds for the halloween celebration, and me and my friends decided to go on Intimidator in the dark. It was really fun, and on one of the hills, I managed to catch some guy's keys. After the ride was over, I gave them back and felt really good. Soon after they played some of my favorite Metallica songs, which made the experience even more fun. T'was great.

Posted Image

#12 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

speaking of flying objects on roller cosasters. on the viper at SFGAm i got hit by a guys hat while riding in the back row. it hurt like hell! also my cousin lost his keys on the superman also at SFGAm at we had to come and pick him up. it takes 2 hours to get to six flags from my house.

#13 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

When SF bought out Jazzland and turned it into Six Flags New Orleans, two of my friends and I went to ride Batman because I spent all semester telling them how great B&M Inverts are (which they never understood anyway). However, Batman isn't what made this trip memorable. It was Mega Zeph.

We got there as the park was opening so we had little queue times all morning. MZ had almost no line, so I jumped into the front and my two buddies jumped in the back. For our own amusement, every time the train would crest a hill, I would start headbanging and flailing my arms around like an idiot. Carl said it was the funniest thing he ever saw. To prove his point, he sat in the front and did it while Tyler and I laughed at him from the back. Then, Tyler said it looked like fun and decided he wanted to do it next.
It truly was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen.

Later in the day, were riding MZ and it stalled on the lift hill. I said something like "The other train must have gotten stuck on the brake run." The ride resumed a few minutes later. Afterward, while passing the 'on-ride photo' booth, Carl turns and asks them if they knew why the ride had stopped. I told Carl that he was asking the wrong people, and added something along the lines of: "You're so GP, Dude."

He said he didn't know what the hell that meant and that I was stupid for calling him a stupid word.

#14 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

My first time on X was really memorable. It's pretty self-explanatory...I thought I was gonna die. After I got off I kept complaining that the car I was on went straight down on the drop (I didn't know that they always did that).

Another time I was riding Superman:TE with my friends when it broke down. We went onto the emergency brake run behind the station! I didn't know the emergency brake existed at the time, so it was pretty freaky.

I have so many memories from Magic Mountain...but my favorite coaster ride was probably on Tatsu last February when it was pouring rain. I love Tatsu so much. Horray for SFMM being open year-round!!

#15 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

My single favorite memory has always been my first night ride on The Beast. It was a cool night after a bit of rain, perfect conditions for The Beast. That coaster is not properly experience until a night ride is achieved.

Diamondback, Maverick, Millie, and Dragster night rides were amazing too, all achieved last year.

And this year's trip to Knoebles, Hershey, KD, BGW, Carowinds, and Dollywood must be mentioned. Such a great trip to some really good parks (and one average park) with some great friends.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#16 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Now for a bad memory.

My first time riding Millie in the front row. I was going to ride a few rows back, but I lucked out because the ops asked for a single rider to sit in the front with another dude. On the lift, I was smiling from ear to ear, thinking "Im in the front row! This is going to be the best ride ever!"

Half way up the lift, it started to rain.

If you're not lol-ing yet let me explain: Rain to your face at 92mph hurts... a lot. Especially in the front row. Yeah, it sucked more than Katrina.

#17 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

^LOL! Same thing happened to me! Only difference is that we weren't sitting in the front because we wanted to get on it before it started to rain. It only dribble on it, but it still hurt a lot!

#18 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

I will always remember my first thrill ride on Monstre at La Ronde. I was shaking because I was soooo nervous and I wanted to impress a girl in my class.

My first time on Kingda Ka (2 months ago) is also a great memorie. During the 270* drop, I was screaming so laugh...OOOH MMYYY GOOODDD!!

Posted Image

#19 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

The only thing scary for TTD was the anticipation. After you get through the launch it's not even bad.

#20 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

On my second ride on TTD, I accidentally leaned forward after the launch. The G's forced my head down between my knees B)